Domotz - deals, agent on the Fingbox (advantages)

tourigatouriga Member Posts: 31
10 Comments 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
✭✭✭
I have been looking at Domotz Pro and probably will subscribe to it.
  1. Since Fing is a Domotz company, do Fing home enthusiasts get any sort of discount?  I'm not sure I can justify the cost of this major tool for my home network. 
  2. During my trial period I have installed two Domotz agents: one on my Synology NAS and the other on my Fingbox.  Are there any advantages to running it off the Fingbox?  e.g. does Domotz Pro have any extra features by interacting directly with the Fingbox?
  3. Is there any way to sync the Fingbox customised device information to the Domotz list?
Rob
AlbertKkltaylor

Best Answer

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    touriga said:
    I have been looking at Domotz Pro and probably will subscribe to it.
    1. Since Fing is a Domotz company, do Fing home enthusiasts get any sort of discount?  I'm not sure I can justify the cost of this major tool for my home network. 
    2. During my trial period I have installed two Domotz agents: one on my Synology NAS and the other on my Fingbox.  Are there any advantages to running it off the Fingbox?  e.g. does Domotz Pro have any extra features by interacting directly with the Fingbox?
    3. Is there any way to sync the Fingbox customised device information to the Domotz list?
    Rob
    @touriga , great question to ask.
    I have experience with both applications, I ran Domotz on our restaurant locations in SLC to ensure that the network remained intact and that service was never interrupted due to an outage, etc.
    I also used it for my home network as well, with the ease of installation that we have on the Synology NAS, it was a great option to have.  I think that their monthly subscription is still $5 per client, meaning $5 per server environment that it can be deployed onto.
    While I don't find that subscription price to be too 'outrageous' and is honestly better than others, once I received my Fingbox I switched to it on my private home/office network instead of Domotz.
    What I ultimately would recommend is to use Domotz on corporate networks, subscribing to the means that best suits the techs there to monitor and maintain its infrastructure.  Use Fingbox for home, as it doesn't have (as of yet) a monthly service fee, and to some extend can be considered 'overkill' for that infrastructure.  I mean, in my opinion of course.
    Fingbox is just as 'easy' to incorporate into a home/office/soho environment much like Domotz is, so choose which platform you wish to use for whatever environment that you monitor.  Ultimately the monthly subscription is better than most others.  Our corporate office for the restaurants paid $30/mo for 6 locations.
    If you have any questions about either platform please ask me, and I'll be as candid as I can be with you.  Sorry that this response is as long as it it, but felt that it was warranted due to the comparison that I am attempting to make regarding the two platforms.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    touriga

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,696
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @touriga
    Fingbox and Domotz are separate applications and even though Fingbox is sister organization to domotz, as of now there is no discount. To address your query, You can check this link and maybe it will be helpful: https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/fingbox-vs-domotz-pro/
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • AlbertKAlbertK Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments Photogenic 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Robin.... @touriga makes very valid points. I had exactly the same questions. This should be taken fwd to exec management. I feel that we loyal fingbox customers deserve some extra benefits.
    Albert
    kltaylortouriga
  • marco_from_fingmarco_from_fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 56
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Hi @touriga
    I'm checking if there's a discount (or can be created). The main benefit for running it from Fingbox is the ease (installation of the Domotz PRO sw and the connection with your Domotz referral is managed directly from the App), but in terms of functionalities they are the same.

Currently, there's no automatic transfer of customizations, although it's possible that exporting our customization from the web app in CSV/XLS and re-importing into Domotz should be feasible.   
    kltaylortouriga
  • s_domotzs_domotz Member Posts: 2
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2020
    Hi @touriga and @AlbertK.  Domotz is meant for  MSP and IT professionals that need to monitor and manage networks of their customers.

Technically speaking on a Fingbox device you can run the two services in parallel and from completely distinct accounts. This is why we decided explicitely not to mix data between with Fing and Domotz.  The typical use case with Fingbox is for IT service providers give a Fingbox to their customers: the customer use and enjoy the fing app and fingbox features, while the service provider use the Domotz management features. 
    The benefit is not in terms of discount, but in the fact that those professionals can provide a much cooler and advanced service to their customers.

If you have more questions and requests, I recommend to reach directly [email protected] Thank you! 
  • s_domotzs_domotz Member Posts: 2
    Name Dropper First Comment
    Hi @touriga and @AlbertK.  Domotz is meant for  MSP and IT professionals that need to monitor and manage networks of their customers. Technically speaking on a Fingbox device you can run the two services in parallel and from completely distinct accounts. This is why we decided explicitely not to mix data between with Fing and Domotz.  The typical use case with Fingbox is for IT service providers give a Fingbox to their customers: the customer use and enjoy the fing app and fingbox features, while the service provider uses the Domotz management features
    The benefit is not in terms of discount, but in the fact that those professionals can provide a much cooler and advanced service to their customers. If you have more questions and requests, I recommend to reach directly [email protected] Thank you! 
  • tourigatouriga Member Posts: 31
    ✭✭✭
    Hello @kltaylor
    Thanks for your answer.  Right now Fing appears to have the best features for my home network.  I was hoping that domotz would have improved capability to identifying and solving more complex device connectivity issues, but so far I haven't found it to be too helpful.  It's a nice app and has some impressive stuff, but not what I am looking for.
    s_domotz
  • tourigatouriga Member Posts: 31
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to all the others who have also replied.
    s_domotz