Why is the Desktop app such a CPU hog? (macOS)

DiggoryDiggory Member Posts: 4
Photogenic First Comment
Hello,
The Fing hardware device is excellent.  However your desktop app seems to be a CPU hog.

This is indicative of its normal state - it's not doing anything out of the ordinary (e.g. not scanning the network), and yet is consistently occupying three of the top six slots of CPU users.

If this were the 90s and one app was using ~40% of the only CPU I would immediately uninstall it. 

Also - why are there two 'Helper' processes + another 'agent' process? 
Thanks.

Tagged:

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,370
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Something is definitely interesting utilization wise.  @Diggory I decided to check what it was doing on my Mac as well.  On first run, it appears to be what you see below, little to nothing.  On a manual refresh however, I spins the utilization up a bit at which point is seems to stay (Second picture).   @Robin or @Ciaran , any idea why utilization stays higher? I would have assumed utilization would increase during a refresh but than tick down once completed.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Update:  After about 5 minutes utilization went back to near zero...

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,386
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Hi All,
    Can you please check what happens when you closes the UI (right click on tray icon and ‘Close’)?
    In that case, the whole UI will be closed and only the service will keep running (and doing almost nothing). If GPU and CPU go to 0%, then it’s something to be investigated on UI, if not, it’s on the service side.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Robin , this is via macOS, no tray.  If you close the app on the doc it kills all processes (helpers etc) except fingagent.bin
  • DiggoryDiggory Member Posts: 4
    Photogenic First Comment
    edited May 11
    Hmmm, I've just checked the usage again - and it's back to a normal level.  
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Diggory , force a refresh from the app and check your utilization over time.  As per my last comment above, mine settled down in about 5 minutes to negligible levels.  
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,386
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Marc said:
    @Robin , this is via macOS, no tray.  If you close the app on the doc it kills all processes (helpers etc) except fingagent.bin
    Thanks Marc, our developers are able to catch this issue and are working on a feature to disable the Hardware acceleration which will solve this issue. It will be released within a few weeks with latest release fixing blank screen issues as well.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Marc