Why do I have in Fing app service Port open 554135 Whatssup

PHILIPPE
PHILIPPE LondonMember Posts: 10
Second Anniversary First Comment Photogenic

Why I have open 2 service ports 54135 and 64956? And says is from Whatssup?

Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,145
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Any advice @kltaylor @Marc @rooted for @Felipe . Thanks

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    PHILIPPE
  • Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,891
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2020 #3
    Thats interesting in so much that no where do I see an association of those ports to WhatsApp.  Can you send a screenshot?  

Those ports do not look to be a concern by the way.  Mostly file system related and were probably activated via your routers universal plug and play feature..

@robin , how does Fing make these associations??

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Messy
  • PHILIPPE

HenryVIII is the name i have in my iphone8

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Felipe ...  And to confirm you do not have WhatsApp installed, correct? (Its a telephony app).  

@robin and @Ciaran , I'm stumped, is this something you all can clarify as to why Fing app thinks it's WhatsApp?  
  • PHILIPPE

Whatssup is installed in my IPhone as always has been, for the last 2 years.

is all the time, I just changed my password in my router closed the UPNP and has dissapeared now, but still shows TCP 8085 open and a constant ope public address that I haven’t be able at all for months now.

bizarre things happens, I will post everything I encounter.

Thanks so much, for the fast answer, and the help offered.

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You might not be able to or want to block that port as it looks like it might be used by your ISP....  

• PHILIPPE

but is it dangerous?

• PHILIPPE

I’m disastisfied with what I see with this port and a public Internet address that I can’t close

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Felipe said:

but is it dangerous?

8085 should not be, assuming your on one of the listed isp above.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,145
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @Marc for the support. I believe those ports might be in use at that point of time. I don't know which ports are being used by Whatsapp but if WhatsApp is installed on the device then that app might be using it. As the port opened is UDP which is a connectionless port so it might be the case Whatsapp is using it as Whatsapp also follows the connectionless approach.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Marc
  • kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Take a look at this information, see if you have anything on your network from IANA or Apple, if so track it down and notate it within Fing.  You can also check your router settings and disable UPnP, which will automatically assign a port to an application (mostly) without the need of your input.  Tighten your firewall by disabling that and opening the ports that you need, as you need them.

"There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    Robin_from_FingMarcMessy
  • Messy
    Messy Member, Beta Tester Posts: 23
    10 Comments 5 Likes Photogenic
    edited May 8, 2020 #13

Hmm,

Any ports used by your isp will be on the external side of the router.

Having said that the DSL set up and authentication is carried out way before the IP layer is setup.

Upnp was never intended to be be accessible from the Internet just internally within your home network.

I personally would block the port. Check your router manual and if it is not possible to block then get a brand name router eg net gear, cisco, tp link or similar.

Use Gibson Research to help you they have some get free tools.

kltaylor
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Messy said:

Hmm,

Any ports used by your isp will be on the external side of the router.

@Messy, if the router is controlled by the ISP, could that be a scenario where it's on the internal side?
    kltaylor
  • Messy
    edited May 8, 2020 #15

No not really any reason for it.

I suggest contacting your isp and find out if you can replace the router. I do know Sky locks clients into using their router.

If you are locked into using the isp supplied router change your isp and tell them why.

I know that Virgin media call agents can access the internal side of the cable modem - which prompted me to install a firewall between the virgin modem and my network.

I hope that helps.

Marckltaylor
  • Messy

There is a scenario where Port numbers can be changed and confused.

Most routers use Nat to allow multiple devices to access the same Internet resources.

For example.

PC1 uses a web browser to access the fing.com website it uses the IP address 192.168.0.4 and port 80 and directs its traffic to the router at address 192.168.0.1.

PC2 is doing the same thing using address 192.168.0.5 port 80 still talking to the router on 192.168.0.1.

Now on the external side of the router the router has a single isp assigned address eg 87.10.67.87.

Now to discriminate between the two PCs using a single address the Nat translates two addresses using the same port number to a single address using different port numbers.

So 192.168.0.4/80 becomes 87.10.67.87/57867 and 192.168.0.5/80 becomes 87.10.67.87/49756 for example.

NAT always uses high range of port numbers, so 8085 will not be used by the NAT. There is a list of assigned port numbers around on Wikipedia.

I hope this is interesting and maybe useful.

Marckltaylor
  • kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    That, @Messy is a great explanation of how data traffic works in a router, great job.  Thanks for explaining that!
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • KAAYOO
    KAAYOO Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

KAAYOO TRADING PLC