Problem with fing CLI over vpn

Jonown
Jonown Member Posts: 3
First Comment

I'm connected to my home over openvpn from my laptop, when im using the fing CLI frkm my linux laptop it dosnt work and it stuck on discovery round starting

When im ping some of the device in the lan i get answer and also when im doing fing -s 192.168.0.1 i can see the open ports of the router so just the discovery not working...

Ive tried to do fing --i and tried all the network interfaces but still not working.

Can you help me?

Tagged:

Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,052
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks for your post @Jonown
    Is the discovery working when the VPN is disabled?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Jonown
    First Comment
    edited May 7, 2020 #3

Yes, when Im doing it on the network when im connected to it directly via wifi or eth0 its working but when i connect from remote with the vpn its not working (with the same laptop)

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Jonown said:

Yes, when Im doing it on the network when im connected to it directly via wifi or eth0 its working but when i connect from remote with the vpn its not working (with the same laptop)

It seems like your VPN is not yet supported by Fing Desktop. I will include the feedback to our developers. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Jonown
    First Comment

The VPN is openvpn and I'm on linux (ubuntu 18)

But how the fing -s is working and just the discovery not?

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Jonown said:

The VPN is openvpn and I'm on linux (ubuntu 18)

But how the fing -s is working and just the discovery not?

This may be due to Fing not able to identify the real network and thus can't read the devices behind the VPN. As of now, Fing CLI has some discrepancies with Linux O.S. We are working on releasing Fing Dekstop for Linux as well but as of now there is no timeframe. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)