Rogue wifi access point alerts not appearing in app but do come in via email

pwrugopwrugo Member Posts: 3
First Comment Photogenic
edited May 6 in Fingbox
Hi All,

I just added a couple of extra dishes to my Ubiquiti Unifi network and the Fing box spotted them pretty quickly.  I'm getting email alerts a couple of times a day, but nothing is showing in the app for me to be able to acknowledge them and add them to my network.

I looked under Events in Network tab on Fing App (iPhone 11, iOS 13.4.1) but there's no alerts in there and I can't see any way of adding them.  I know I have to be connected to them to add them, but I can't even find the Wi-Fi Intrusion Protection or Wi-Fi Performance sections when I am.

(I don't know if it's just me, but I used to find previous versions of the Fing App much better and easier to use.  Doesn't help the Apple are blocking MAC addresses but the UI is less intuitive and harder to navigate now.)

If anyone can suggest what I should do to fix this, I'd very grateful.

Thanks

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,312
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Hi @pwrugo

I would like to tell you that sometimes, it can be a false alarm as well. 

We have come to realize that if you have multiple access points and if some devices are connected with both then you might find these type of alerts as Fingbox is trying to monitor the network for changes and if any of the devices is trying to connect to any of the access points and if it is not being able to recognize the device then it gives alerts. Even if the new device get connected to a different access point and Fingbox is connected to another access point, then Fingbox will detect it as some other access point is redirecting the traffic and thus giving you with an alert.  

I would like you to follow these steps:  

1) Turn off the router/extenders and Fingbox 

2) Wait for a minute or two. 

3) Make the connection of Fingbox with the router directly if not done already. If you are using an extender/switch, then make the connection with it. 

4) Only Turn on the router and then wait for another minute or Two. 

5) Turn on the other network device like Switch/Extenders and then wait for a minute or two. 

6) Turn on the Fingbox and then re-install the Fing App after clearing up the cache as well. 

7) Sign in with the Fing App 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • pwrugopwrugo Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    Hi Robin,
    Thanks for this but as you'll see from my original post, it's not a false alarm, as I know that I added two dishes, and the alerts I'm getting relate to those exact dishes and their MAC addresses.  My problem is that I can't find a way to tell Fing App that the new dishes are OK and not to worry about them.
    Thanks,
    Paul
    admin
     My problem is that I can't find a way to tell Fing App that the new dishes are OK and not to worry about them.
    Thanks,
    Paul
    Have you tried doing the power cycle of your network by the steps I mentioned above?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • pwrugopwrugo Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    Not yet as I didn't think that it answered my question, sorry.  I thought my problem related to a missing option in the Fing App, not a problem with Fing Box.  Please can you explain what you mean in point 6 above about clearing the cache?  Which cache, and where do I do it?
    Thanks
    admin
    pwrugo said:
    Not yet as I didn't think that it answered my question, sorry.  I thought my problem related to a missing option in the Fing App, not a problem with Fing Box.  Please can you explain what you mean in point 6 above about clearing the cache?  Which cache, and where do I do it?
    Thanks
    To address your query, The alerts related to Require Attention tab stay until 24 hours and disappears after that. If it has been over 24 hours since you received the alert: 

• Go to the Network tab 

• Click on Recent Events at the top-right of the Performance segment 

• Look for the alert in the list and click on it 

To clear cache all you need to do is reboot the device and its done.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • kid_dudekid_dude Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic

Did you ever figure this out?

I see the same thing on my new Ubiquiti AP. I am pretty sure what is happening is that fing sees the second MAC address on the device and thinks this is a rogue entry point. It would be great to be able to ignore or even better assign to the AP.