Should Fing support Windows, Macs and Linux applications for Network Management?

Mariusvam
Mariusvam Member, Beta Tester Posts: 11
First Anniversary Photogenic 5 Likes Founder
✭✭
I really like the Fing Box boxes, but an application on supporting PC Operating Systems would help administrate Network from our desktops in a professional environments. I would support newer hardware and software from Fing building support towards Network Administration  environments.
VioletChepilBash

Comments

• Pooh
    Pooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please remember @Mariusvam, that the Fingbox is geared more towards the home network. Fing's sister company, Domotz, may have software and devices that are more suitable for a professional setting.
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    Mariusvam
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks a lot for your question @Mariusvam. We are planning to do some MAC/PC installs of Fing App soon as per our community roadmap.
    https://community.fing.com/discussion/89/the-fing-roadmap#latest
    Definitely we'd like to do more installations but of course we need to investigate demand for installation.
    In my previous experience it's much harder to get people to self install things than you'd imagine. 
    I guess right now we'll see the uptake of Fing MAC/PC and then maybe we can look at other platforms too? 
    I guess we're starting with the most common hardware in everyone's home (computer) as a first step.
    Let me know any more comments.
    Just moving this over to the Fingbox category :) 
    Cheers 

Community Manager at Fing

Mariusvam
  • Mariusvam
    ✭✭
    I do know the separation of Fing and Domotz. I have try Domotz but for me it seems that is gear it more to Service Providers of IT Management remotely. Not as a single user or single entity or organization. Besides people as technical advanced could do those scan and assets management in small office or home settings. Just a thought...
    VioletChepil
  • Mariusvam
    ✭✭
    And, please feel free to have me as a tester...
    VioletChepil
  • mozarella
    mozarella Member, Beta Tester Posts: 128
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Answers 25 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    I also think that Domoz is highest level of networkmonitoring, though i didn't try that yet. I'm thinking that fing could do a bit more to be the best and easy network monitoring for home and small office or mid size firm network administration. I'm working in a company with maybe 100 computer-users. So two IT-people are do commercial administration most of the time, technical things are "border-topic". So networkmonitoring didn't exist before i found the fingbox. Now we are not "blind" anymore and know which devices are working in our network. After installing the fingbox, we had deep clean of the network. We dropped lots of private smartphones and categorized other devices. Set alerts to server and important environment.
    Just a few functions are missing for me, to be perfect. Also the short time to setup is great. Plug and play in the best way. And best networkmonitoring as part-time-network-administrator, because comercial topics are more important. So i needed to do day-end-closing (close the day for new orders, print out invoice, do some batchjob for statistics..), there's not much time for network-administration.
    Having native applications for desktop, managing the fing-environment / network, will be really great. Just like the app for smartphone, instead of the web-app which is not really smooth and just give basic-settings.
    BashVioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Mariusvam we're posting beta updates here so please make sure to follow this category so we can share updates too!
    https://community.fing.com/categories/welcome

Community Manager at Fing