Devices in range

pikatostepikatoste EspañaMember Posts: 56
10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
edited July 5 in Fing App

What does "in range" mean?

The current Spanish translation is "en la gama" but this expression does not make sense.

Answers

• beanbagukbeanbaguk Member Posts: 16
    10 Comments 5 Likes First Answer Name Dropper
    It means it can be detected by your WiFi router (and fingbox). It looks like your TV disconnects from the WiFi when you turn it off, and then reconnects again when you turn it on.
    Saludos desde Marbella!
    pikatoste
  • pikatostepikatoste EspañaMember Posts: 56

@beanbaguk thanks for answering so quickly.

Does this mean that my television disconnects from the router but emits its own signal?

Using other Wi-Fi network scanning applications, the TV cannot be detected.

I don't quite understand the difference between "in range" mode and a "standby" mode. The TV is supposed to have an active connection to the router even if the screen is off.

Saludos desde Madrid!

• beanbagukbeanbaguk Member Posts: 16
    10 Comments 5 Likes First Answer Name Dropper
    Sounds like it powers down it's WiFi when turned off. My Samsung does the same which is annoying. I think (and I could be wrong), it means the TV does not have WOL (Wake On Lan), which is a bit absurd in this day and age.
    The fingbox will however remember that device so it'll see it as "away" or out of range because it's no longer available.

The TV has WOL and is supposedly on. Something strange because months ago it allowed me to send YouTube videos from the mobile with the screen off and now it is not like that.I have factory reset the TV to see if it is an upgrade change or was an error.

On the other hand, if the TV does not have WOL, it should appear as a disconnected device until you turn it on again. It is not like this?

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,312
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Hi @pikatoste
    Thank you for your post. In Range refers to multiple features on Fingbox, It can be for your own device which is under different network or the device which are not under your network(different network) but nearby (Digital Fence). Online refers to the device is under the same network and is connected. In your case, In Range is referred to the device is in the complete signal range of the network. Whenever a device which goes out of range from the network, then after a default set of time Fingbox will alert that device as Offline if it doesn't come back in range. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    edited May 6

@Robin I still don't understand the difference.

Most devices that connect to the network remain at home and therefore always within range of the router's Wi-Fi. Even if they are off. When this happens, they all appear disconnected. For example, the book reader, the tablet, the computer, etc.

This does not happen with television. After factory reset, the same thing continues. When you turned off the television, it first appears as "in range". A few minutes later it appears as disconnected. A few minutes later it appears as in range. This repeats continuously until I turn it on again. If my television emitted a Wi-Fi signal, I understand that I could detect it with an analysis of the available networks, but this is not the case.

admin
    Hi @pikatoste
    How many Access points are present on your network which might help me to understand this clearly. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!

I have a 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network and a 5 GHz Wi-Fi network. Both from the same router.

admin
    pikatoste said:

I have a 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network and a 5 GHz Wi-Fi network. Both from the same router.

Do they have the same SSID name or different. I believe the devices are able to connect to different frequencies and thus providing you with "In range" alerts
    Robin (Admin at Fing)

Both Wi-Fi networks have different names. The TV is only configured to connect to one of the networks.

Although you can connect to both Wi-Fi networks, it is still the same network. As with phones, smart speakers, etc.

admin
    Thanks @pikatoste
    Can you try to disable one of the Wifi frequency for some time and then check if the issue still persists?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)

@Robin I have tried to disable the 5 GHz Wi-Fi network and have connected the television to the 2.4 GHz network. I have set the refresh period in 1 minute to see each change in the connection. Previously I had it in 15 minutes so that there was not so much change of state in the history.

At 18:30 I turned off the television and it came into range. At 18:31 the television was disconnected from the network. At 22:08 I turned on the television and connected it to the 5 GHz network again. Until that time, there had been no changes.

Now I have turned off the television again and it has completely disconnected from the network without going through "in range" mode.

It seems that as many changes to the connection status as before have not occurred despite having reduced the refresh time.

I will continue to observe. I hope this information can help.

Robin

My television stopped showing in range since my last message but since a few days other devices are starting to do so.

Specifically it is a smart light bulb and a smart switch. "Lámpara del salón" and "luces de la cocina". This had not happened until now and they always appeared connected. These devices are always connected. Obviously, if they didn't, they wouldn't immediately respond to Google Assistant's instructions.

@Robin More and more devices appear "in range". All of these devices are permanently connected. All devices connect directly to the router. There are no intermediate devices.

admin
    Thanks @pikatoste
    I am still trying to replicate the issue. Can you please confirm if all access points are added to your Fingbox network and if possible can you assign cameras to be connected on a single access point only?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    edited July 28

@Robin I don't have access points at home. I only use a router with two bands. 2.4 and 5 GHz.

All devices except mobile phones are connected to the 2.4 GHz network. So I do not understand that some devices appear in range and others do not.

When I restart the router, they all appear as connected. After a few days, they begin to change to the "in range" state. Over time, more devices are added to this state. Sometimes some devices return to the "connected" state. It is totally random.

The strangest thing is that all of these devices are smart switches or smart bulbs that always stay connected and functional. Although the devices appears in range within Fing, I can give the switch or light bulb instructions without problems.

admin
    Hi @pikatoste
    It may be the devices are in sleep mode but are very responsive once it is needed to access. As you mentioned, upon rebooting the router the devices comes online again so it may be once the router is rebooted the connection is made with internet again and hence they are in active mode thus appearing online. Can you confirm if you are using the device then after some minutes, if the device appear online on Fing app or not?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)

@Robin The devices remain "in range" even if you use them. They remain in the same state for many days.

It doesn't even help reducing the time it takes for Fing to confirm a state change to 1 minute.

admin
    pikatoste said:

@Robin The devices remain "in range" even if you use them. They remain in the same state for many days.

It doesn't even help reducing the time it takes for Fing to confirm a state change to 1 minute.

Over next week we are releasing a new Fing app version. Once available please update and then check if the issue is resolved or not? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    pikatoste