Need advice re Mac addresses appearing in my network

Bkris
Bkris Member Posts: 6
First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment

I'm getting repeated instances of a devices, Mac address only showing, shown as entering my network. Fing show they enter and immediately disconnect. The number are always different ie. They never repeat.

I have changed my password but the intrusions continue. When I find them I immediately block them.

In appears to me that I'm being hacked but I don't know what to do about it.

I looks like my fing device is blocking the attempts.

Have need to worry? Any suggestions?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• KING_CRACKER78
    KING_CRACKER78 Member Posts: 11
    First Answer 5 Likes Founder Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    #2 Accepted Answer

@Bkris also on your digital fence what have you got you signal percent set to? as having it that bit closer can reduce the number of macs fing picks up reducing signal could help lessen them showing up but still haveenough range to be safe.

VioletChepilkltaylor
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    #3 Accepted Answer
    Ok great! Thanks also for choosing BEST ANSWERS :) it helps others know they can find a solution here:) 

Community Manager at Fing

Answers

• Pooh
    Pooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2019 #4
    They may be passing devices using MAC Address Randomization.I'd not worry about it too much if I were you.

There's been a discussion about it here: https://community.fing.com/discussion/216/will-digital-fence-be-killed-by-randomised-macs

@VioletChepil : Would you mind converting this to a question for @Bkris , please?

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    Bkriskltaylor
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you using a mesh network? 

Community Manager at Fing

• Bkris

@VioletChepil no I don't. I'm going to look into @KING_CRACKER78 suggestion regarding the settings for digital fence.

VioletChepil
  • kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Pooh said:
    They may be passing devices using MAC Address Randomization.I'd not worry about it too much if I were you.

There's been a discussion about it here: https://community.fing.com/discussion/216/will-digital-fence-be-killed-by-randomised-macs

@VioletChepil : Would you mind converting this to a question for @Bkris , please?

That's exactly what I was thinking.  While I can understand the problem that it could cause and the resolution could be as simple as lowering the radius of the digital fence, in my situation though I'd want to know who comes around my house with devices that are constantly looking for open (or not) networks.  Never know when that could come in handy.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    KING_CRACKER78VioletChepilBitsy
  • Bkris

@Pooh I agree with you. BUT, I live in an apartment with multiple people going by my door daily.

I've cut my radius down a lot and that seems to have stopped the problem for now.

KING_CRACKER78VioletChepil
  • Hronos
    Hronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 289
    100 Likes 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thing I am late to the party here, but I just want to know: You see this "new devices" on the "network" tab or the digital fence?
    If is the latter, what every one is suggesting should help, if is the first one it could need another approach.
    Keep looking up!
  • Bkris

@Hronos they appear on the people tab under notifications and the network tab as a connection. Each connection lasts less than a minute and never get an Ip address.

• kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Bkris said:

@Hronos they appear on the people tab under notifications and the network tab as a connection. Each connection lasts less than a minute and never get an Ip address.

That easily could be someone walking by your apartment who has a device that seeks open WiFi networks.  As long as it doesn't receive an IP address, I'd chalk it up to passersby.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    Hronos
  • Hronos
    Hronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 289
    100 Likes 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes! as @kltaylor say! (I couldn't put it better).
    Keep looking up!
    kltaylor