• jamieP
    jamieP Member Posts: 2
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    +1
  • Gidster
    Gidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    Did you hit the Up Arrow on the first item in the thread @jamieP - that's how you +1 a feature idea
    Head of Product at Fing
  • jamieP
    jamieP Member Posts: 2

Hey! Sure did :)

wanted to comment as well, so I get the notifications on updates

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @gernot we've also got another similar request and so I am merging them all together to increase upvotes/comments etc.
    This thread will be merged here: https://community.fing.com/discussion/418/home-assistant-and-fing-access-to-local-api#latest

Community Manager at Fing

• gernot
    gernot Member, Beta Tester Posts: 4
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Photogenic
    Nice to see that there is so much interest in this topic.
    In a first step, extending Desktop Embedded CLI to output to a definable MQTT broker could be sufficient.
    Much better for all would be a functional extension of the fingBox with selectable MQTT broker for home automation, and, also an additional selling point.
    Bieniu
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Systops5 we have an SDK but it's not for Fingbox and only device identification. It is paid and used by B2B businesses. Hope that clears things up a bit. We also have some legacy packages and a couple of more details available here: https://www.fing.com/products/development-toolkit

• Tetragram
    Tetragram Member Posts: 1
    I have been using the Fingbox since the beginning and have always hoped for the ability to integrate my home automation system via access to the API locally.
    I just set up my BOND fan controller, which I have also had from their start, and integrated it into my automation system as they have now provided a local API. I applaud the manufactures who listen to their customers' requests to add this import feature to those of us in the home automation community.
    I am looking forward to Fing doing the same.

Everyone wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to Die.

SnakuzzoVioletChepilgavbAziel
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If anyone on this thread is expert with Home Assistant/Web hooks/IFTTT I am looking for some help on this thread here: https://community.fing.com/discussion/1122/how-to-set-events-on-new-iftt-applet-integration

gavbAziel
  • gavb
    gavb Member Posts: 6
    First Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic Name Dropper
    Given that this is by far the idea with the most votes, can we look forward to some progress to incorporate this as a new feature?
    VioletChepilBieniuAziel
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @gavb - this has seen some good upvotes/comments on the community. We have more than 40k Fingboxes/250k network scans a day on Fing App. The more traction we can get, the better case can be made for implementing the feature. 

• Bieniu
    Bieniu Member Posts: 8
    First Anniversary 5 Agrees 5 Likes Name Dropper
    I also think that if one idea definitely stands out with the number of votes, the Fing team should speak on this matter. If and when can we expect start of work to add this feature?
    Aziel
  • gavb
    gavb Member Posts: 6
    First Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic Name Dropper
    Hey @gavb - this has seen some good upvotes/comments on the community. We have more than 40k Fingboxes/250k network scans a day on Fing App. The more traction we can get, the better case can be made for implementing the feature. 
    This doesn't really answer my question Violet - there are a number of suggestions, but this one has by far got the most votes. Is this recognised by Fing and can they acknowledge this and let us know the timescales to address this? 
    Alternatively, is there a reluctance or lack of priority to implement this? In which case, what is the purpose of having these ideas and the voting if there is no willingness to implement?
    Thanks.
    BieniuAzielpetercb
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Bieniu and @gavb thanks a lot for the feedback and suggestions. 
    Any suggestions are escalated to our Product & Engineering teams for moving forward. It is also great to see any interest in these ideas (using the ‘upvote’ functionality in the Community, which may help in decision making moving forward). Currently, however, we do have a product road map with some really exciting features & functionalities to improve our service to our users. The biggest thing the team have been working on is a new Beta for a new ‘Fing Desktop’ which aims to improve device recognition and also improve network troubleshooting. You can join that beta here:  https://community.fing.com/discussion/1657/fing-desktop-beta-for-windows-and-macos-claim-your-seat 
    We welcome suggestions & feedback and do our utmost to take these into account when making improvements.  We are a small team and do  have limited resources, so we have to be conscious of this when prioritizing improvements, new features, functionality etc. For some of the bigger requests, we have to ensure that we are considering the product road map, so as we are not spreading our resources too thinly. This is not to say that this suggestion will not be considered moving forward, just at this stage, as it is not currently on the product road map, we cannot offer any kind of expectation of if/when this will be taken on (and we do not want to set false expectations for our members). I hope this helps and it is definitely worthwhile to keep building the case for new features and gathering upvotes too. Let me know any feedback you have at all. Cheers 

• Aziel
    Aziel Member, Beta Tester Posts: 13
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Anniversary 5 Likes
    ✭✭
    Bumping this thread; really dislike the limitations of relying on a 3rd party service for IoT due to lag and making requests out of network.

Really don't need anything complex, would be happy with simple Cron rules to execute curl requests or a http/mqtt interface on specific devices on the network. 
    attzonko
  • apt
    apt Member Posts: 9
    25 Agrees 5 Awesomes 5 Likes First Answer
    ✭✭
    Is there any update on this? an open api would be great for both the Fing and Home Assistant communities.
    KitchCaboz
  • Macimillion
    Macimillion Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment
    The fingBox is great and I like it.
    There are round about 76 IP based components in my Smarthome. 
    Is it possible that the FingBox sends the information collected in my network to an MQTT broker selected by me?
    Thanks a lot,

Dean
    DavePB61Ivo
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,052
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Macimillion , thanks for the suggestion. As such now there is no way to perform that but you can create a post under Idea Category and It will be added for our Dev team for consideration. Thanks again
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Caboz
    Caboz Member Posts: 2
    5 Likes First Comment Photogenic

Any news on the Home Assistant subject?

Ivo
  • gernot
    gernot Member, Beta Tester Posts: 4
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Photogenic
    Robin said:
    ... As such now there is no way to perform that but you can create a post under Idea Category and It will be added for our Dev team for consideration.
    This is the third instruction to do something so that something happens. I no longer believe that it will ever be implemented. 
    petercb
  • Carlo_from_Fing
    Carlo_from_Fing Rome, ItalyAdministrator, Fing Team Posts: 247
    100 Likes 100 Comments 5 Answers 25 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Although this is not the requested feature, let me announce a new feature that is related to Smart Home, including Home Assistant.
    The feature is already available on latest Fing Desktop and it's coming soon on mobile devices as well.
    In device details views Fing tells you the available smart-home integrations for that specific device, and also a direct link to the integration page, on IFTTT and HomeAssistant.
    Also, in Insight view you can have an interactive overview of the available smart home integrations of your network equipment.

Carlo from Fing

go_robot_go
  • TheZeak
    TheZeak Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    Where do i locate this in the Fing Desktop app?
    Although this is not the requested feature, let me announce a new feature that is related to Smart Home, including Home Assistant.
    The feature is already available on latest Fing Desktop and it's coming soon on mobile devices as well.
    In device details views Fing tells you the available smart-home integrations for that specific device, and also a direct link to the integration page, on IFTTT and HomeAssistant.
    Also, in Insight view you can have an interactive overview of the available smart home integrations of your network equipment.

• Carlo_from_Fing
    ✭✭✭
    The information is available for each device, in device details page.
    But to access the overview Insight page, here you go:

Carlo from Fing

• Mirekmal
    Mirekmal Member, Beta Tester Posts: 68
    10 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Carlo, it is great news for Home Assistant passionates! One step closed to full integration :-)
    After testing this on my instances, I have one comment though... While my HA presence was recognized properly and I see several devices grouped under HA section, clicking on details leads me to... Phillips Hue Bridge gen 2. The issue here is that HA is capable of running of tons of various integrations, some of which emulates other devices on the same physical device. This is my case I use Emulated Hue integration to be able to control some of my lighting from Harmony Hub (thanks to this emulation Harmony does see ZigBee lights controlled by HA as Hue lights and can control these natively). I guess there might be some other cases like that (HA supports over 1000 of integrations and some might work in similar way).
    So once again we are coming to the point that it would be nice to have ability to explicitly set model of the device that is discovered by Fingbox, in case when recognition algorithm make mistake :-)

attzonko
  • Carlo_from_Fing
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for feedback. Allowing you to explicitly set device models is definitely in our roadmap, as part of improving our device recognition. It'll definitely come later on this year, stay tuned!

Carlo from Fing

kltaylor
  • Caboz
    Caboz Member Posts: 2
    5 Likes First Comment Photogenic
    Fing is loosing a great opportunity. I don't think they are aware that Home Assistant is a community with more than 50k installations. And I see this as great market opportunity for Fing.
    Home Assistant needs a good device tracker to show if one user is home or away, and Fing Box could be this. https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/device_tracker/ 
    This development should be a priority for Fing.
    BieniuRGN01attzonkokltaylorpetercb
  • attzonko
    attzonko Member, Beta Tester Posts: 13
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Anniversary 5 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    Caboz said:
    Fing is loosing a great opportunity. I don't think they are aware that Home Assistant is a community with more than 50k installations. And I see this as great market opportunity for Fing.
    Home Assistant needs a good device tracker to show if one user is home or away, and Fing Box could be this. https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/device_tracker/ 
    This development should be a priority for Fing.
    I think based on previous responses in this thread Fing is aware of the opportunity HA brings to the table. Why else would they have an HA integration section in the desktop app. With all that said, I still don't think Fing understands that the HA community is full of DIY enthusiasts who a lot of times are power users, and if you just give them an API can create their own features/functionality.  Your presence detection is just one of many uses cases that could be opened up if there was a local Fing API that HA can access.
    @Fing should we get our hopes up that an API might be available in our future? Can you share a roadmap of the HA related features you are planning?
    kltaylorTetragram
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,052
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @attzonko @Caboz for the feedback. We are always looking for user feedback and suggestions for improving and introducing new features. As of now, the integration is not on the Fing Roadmap but We really appreciate our customer feedback and suggestions. I am going to pass this feedback onto our product & engineering teams for consideration.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    kltaylor
  • Bieniu
    Bieniu Member Posts: 8
    First Anniversary 5 Agrees 5 Likes Name Dropper
    @Robin So maybe people from Fing team should change the "Fing Roadmap" if they "are always looking for user feedback and suggestions"? What is the feature request category for if you have your "Fing Roadmap" and don't consider what users want?
    TetragramkltaylorCabozpetercb