Home Assistant and Fing - Access to local API

Comments

• SteveInMA
    SteveInMA Member, Beta Tester Posts: 4
    Second Anniversary 5 Agrees 5 Likes First Comment

A feature where a Fing box could communicate with local network resources is a huge benefit to businesses, which are, in general, resistant to sending anything security related to the cloud. Security data and voice (voice commands) are two things people will pay to keep local. Even though a lot of security related automation can be done via IFTTT, do people really want to do it that way? If you are a business, the answer is usually no.

gdreelinAzielalexandrejjvoliverDarrenHillsteveof2620
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    just turning this into an ideas thread so other users can upvote! Cast your vote if you'd like to see this implemented! 

Community Manager at Fing

TetragramgdreelinAziel
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just turning this one into an ideas thread so others can vote. Cast your vote if you'd like to see implemented too.

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just turning this one into an ideas thread so others can vote. Cast your vote if you'd like to see implemented too.

• RGN01
    RGN01 Member Posts: 43
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic
    Thanks, @VioletChepil at the risk of going off topic, I can't see any way to vote or what the options we are voting for are. Please advise or point us to a link so we can do this (you can probably tell that I'm a strong supporter of doing this and don't want to miss any opportunity to help it along!  ;)

• Plantucha
    Plantucha Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Photogenic
    edited September 11, 2019 #37
    @VioletChepil
    can you please post link to "ideas thread" I just can't find it
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the ideas thread :) And at the top there is a litte upvote!

Now you can see all the various ideas and upvote them here too:
    https://community.fing.com/categories/fingbox-feature-requests

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @RGN01 you are directly ON TOPIC! :) This ideation is new feature.
    So at the top you have a little upvote:

And now you have a line up of all the idea threads and you can sift through and upvote the ones you like etc.
    https://community.fing.com/categories/fingbox-feature-requests 

• wayner
    wayner Member, Beta Tester Posts: 32
    10 Comments Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Count me as another user that would love to see a local fing API.
  • Bieniu
    Bieniu Member Posts: 8
    First Anniversary 5 Agrees 5 Likes Name Dropper

I wrote to Fing support about the local API or MQTT support a long time ago. It would be very useful for Home Assistant or other home automation systems users.

• RGN01
    I discussed this with them at InfoSecurity Eurpoe a few months back - it simply makes sense - it will bring together two very powerful and useful technologies! 
  • BernieBl
    BernieBl Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    I am finding Fingbox to be really accurate for presence detection.  I used it shortly in Home Assistant following a post on their forum to use gmail as a method to retrieve presence.  It work flawlessly until gmail shut me down for too many connections on a daily basis.  I would love to get some sort of integration.
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a curiosity about this. Would the expectation be a free API? Or something that would be paid for? I'd be curious to know more in depth about the value it would bring to Fing users! 

• attzonko
    attzonko Member, Beta Tester Posts: 13
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Anniversary 5 Likes
    ✭✭✭

@VioletChepil Thanks for making this an ideation topic.

For me it goes beyond presence detection. Fing is has some very useful data being collected, network uptime, network speed, fencing, etc. Having those items available in the HA History/Logbook very helpful.

FingUKuser
  • Pooh
    Pooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An API that uses processing and storage on an external server is one that could potentially be monitorized, one that connects to your local Fingbox and doesn't touch anything else should not.

My 2 pennies is all.
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    FingUKuser
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @attzonko you are very welcome and its nice to see this one gain some traction too! 

• go_robot_go
    go_robot_go Member Posts: 9
    5 Agrees 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    VioletChepil said:
    I have a curiosity about this. Would the expectation be a free API? Or something that would be paid for? I'd be curious to know more in depth about the value it would bring to Fing users! 
    I think it depends on how you mean "paid for". If you're talking about a recurring subscription fee, then the only way that makes sense is for functionality that requires ongoing resources and upkeep, such as a cloud-based component. For example, if the plan was to evolve the Fingbox into something that could also serve as a VPN gateway, connected through a Fing cloud service, that might be something that would justify a subscription.

But the fact that the local API I'm talking about here is something that requires no external resources -- relying only on the Fingbox and the local network -- means that a subscription fee would be inappropriate; the cost to Fing is the cost of initial development and bug fixing, and development of whatever new features Fing chooses to add. It's not an ongoing cost to Fing, and so it's not appropriate to pass it on to customers as if it was an ongoing cost.

My initial thought was that this should be something that comes at no cost, since it's a feature that greatly expands the use cases for the Fingbox, widening your audience, which can only be good for Fingbox sales. That said, I could be convinced to pay a nominal one-time fee to activate the API -- say, $5 or so -- but I might be in the minority there. Keep in mind that as soon as you start adding additional fees to unlock functionality, competing devices that include that functionality for free start to look better.
  • go_robot_go
    ✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2019 #49
    Also, I'd like to point out that the impetus for me requesting the local API was to make it possible for Home Assistant to leverage Fingbox presence data. I see now that there is a separate feature request for creating a Home Assistant component for Fing. I would like to point out that providing a local API will get you probably 90% of the way to having a working Home Assistant component (not to mention that it lays the groundwork for other home automation controllers to integrate with Fingbox). Two birds with one stone.
  • go_robot_go
    ✭✭✭
    @VioletChepil I just want to point out that Home Assistant support was the reason why I submitted the feature request for the local API. The way I see it, that feature request and this one are very closely related. I just didn't specify Home Assistant in my feature request because I figured that a common API would reap bigger benefits for your dev team, since it could potentially enable integration with any home automation controller, Home Assistant included.
  • wayner
    ✭✭
    Ideally this API would be used by fingbox as I way to get info to/from the fingbox.  So this would not require any additional resources from fingbox.  Oftentimes there are "hidden" APIs that are found and unoffically documented by people sniffing their LAN traffic with stuff like Wireshark.  Maybe there already is a REST API used by the fing apps?
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok should I get these two merged together @go_robot_go ? I can merge these threads to combine then. If you think that's a fit, I'll go ahead and do that - usually slightly modifying the title but then comments/actions are combined. 

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback on that @Pooh and @go_robot_go - its nice when we can present to the product/dev team feature ideas and also any more information about uses, potential associated costs etc. so they can envisage the value of developing anything. so good to get more information with this thread for future consideration too. 
    @wayner thanks for this feedback. I think some of the bigger players have these kind of use cases. But could it be that these kind of unofficial APIs - could get broken down the road? 

• wayner
    ✭✭
    Yes these APIs do get broken all of the time.  In recent years an example is Chamberlain's garage door opener API.  I have a Tesla car and there is an unofficial API that you can use to control your car.  This breaks in certain ways from time to time when Tesla changes the API.  Often the changes that break things are for security reasons.
    If the manufacturer really wants they could keep the API constant.  For example a call like http://192.168.1.132:8060/list_devices?network=home would list the devices on a fingbox with IP of 192.168.1.132 and on a network named home
  • Gambit2552
    Gambit2552 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic

Yes please fing work with home assistant

• attzonko
    attzonko Member, Beta Tester Posts: 13
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Anniversary 5 Likes
    ✭✭✭

I am totally fine with merging. And completely agree the solution shouldn’t Ben generic not specific to HA. A local api and MQTT support would be awesome.

k3vyn32
  • RGN01
    Merge away, @VioletChepil :)  As stated above, there are many similarities and an API-based solution will probably make us all happy!
    k3vyn32
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @wayner for the feedback. Yes its still a good idea and one we've explored definitely. Nothing has been planned so far. There is significant dev work required to ensure its updated and supporting docs available etc. We have a kind of device identification SDK we do provide. Anyways, good to keep as feature suggestion and continue directing interested people here to upvote. 

k3vyn32
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @RGN01 and @go_robot_go - I've merged these suggestions up here :) Cheers

RGN01go_robot_go
  • Mirekmal
    Mirekmal Member, Beta Tester Posts: 68
    10 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    attzonko mentioned) would be perfectly fine and opening Fing Box to many more systems! True is that we have plenty of different presence systems that are more or less accurate/fast, but out of all tested Fing is moste reliable and fastest to detect @home presence. And speed sometimes make whole difference!
    VioletChepilattzonko
  • Systops5
    Systops5 Member Posts: 33
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments First Answer 5 Agrees
    ✭✭

If there is already SDK Developers packages, I can't imagine it would be too heavy of a hit to translate functionality into an API.

Even with out an API, and just access to the SDK (assuming it's public?) I'm unsure why noone has come up with some tools that could be shared publicly.

Does one need to purchase access to the SDK?

TKS

k3vyn32