Home Assistant and Fing - Access to local API

attzonkoattzonko Member, Beta Tester Posts: 12
10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭
edited September 2019 in Fingbox feature requests

I am aware fing supports IFTTT however for smart home enthusiasts who use Home Assistant one basic goal is to have their home automation functional even without an active Internet connection, so having the ability to work directly with devices on the local network is key. Any chance Fing can explore such support? It can be achieved in many different ways: local MQTT support, local API, etc.

All thoughts and ideas welcome!

kltaylorRGN01gigiBernieBlDaveFiHronosxAPRomkakeithVioletChepilmspinoloGambit2552jmalmUltrajonesJohnPippoPDBieniuHuanTwo3naxe_KitchespiniellivikingeCathalPlantuchaTetragramRadioTechnimandirewulfgdreelinkenrobsmackiegavbStefano80MartinezJulianBaleDanw33ArkkisChairstackersgeomuddybulldognetadmnsiersDavePB61Rob_GIshimaruLandot3ftoddrobJoSchaptTalgoldcmikeYsbrandplindemanCannon_BoyaldircybixFingUser541AapitJanssenAlohaDanRoger_sAdznondocallaghan0848alexandreJonMartinmozarellaluckowredblue82ArnbillBronderTavloujmcnMetalWolfdreffedLudditusdmertensRHHatsobanakisgo_robot_goDominikpietervanharenStinkyfromUSCAzielrandomstringMarto68Thebigc86SlothMothcookiesandbeerYonnyWill_P_UKjjvoliverricarvaGpendFritztpcTEdgeAlTyndallBumptronicbeepbeepFoosjbabioRyan9000LiveMikeJSchlackmanJerryCNoebl12punkoramboGleDelDarrenHillJasonSFfabiocaseriDarrinTheHunnITSaintdaved2424hg901PlasmonnomadVsc_mailFestimrambudoCH4DPeterAlvmo
121 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• gernotgernot Member, Beta Tester Posts: 4
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Photogenic
    edited August 2019
    The fingBox is great and I like it.
    There are round about 50 IP based components in my Smarthome. 
    Is it possible that the FingBox sends the information collected in my network to an MQTT broker selected by me?
    Thanks a lot,
    Gernot
    jjvoliver
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @gernot I've slightly modified the title of this post as I know some others are also interested in MQTT. I just wanted to make it more explicit about MQTT so others can add thoughts and comments. I've received many requests for this in the past.
    We currently don't have any plans for MQTT support, but let's see what others say and now we can capture all that feedback here on this thread.
    Thank you!

Community Manager at Fing

jjvoliver
  • benhelpsbenhelps Member, Beta Tester Posts: 29
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭

I agree it would be nice. In the interim if you feel like tinkering I recommend openHAB. I use it to handle comms between my devices, MQTT and node-red servers.

• go_robot_gogo_robot_go Member Posts: 9
    5 Agrees 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    While I appreciate that Fing has provided some ability to integrate other services/devices with Fing via IFTTT, there are a lot of people -- myself included -- who would prefer to be able to access the API locally. For example, setting up my home automation system to leverage Fing presence data requires that I expose my Home Automation system to the internet, since Fing is pushing updates through IFTTT. I'd rather that it was possible to either configure my Fingbox itself to push those updates to my home automation controller within my network, or provide a local API that allows my home automation controller to request user presence status from the Fingbox. The IFTTT solution is fine for some things, but not a very robust or useful solution for a great many other things.
    mikimikeSwordy
  • GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    Hi @go_robot_go, Thanks so much for your Fingbox feature suggestion. A number of Fingbox users have asked for this before and it's already on our backlog - although not currently near the top, I'm afraid. As you'll understand as a business that operates a free app and a subscription-free device, our resources are very limited. So we must be careful that we expend our energy to deliver benefit to the most users of all our products. As you say IFTTT (we're also on Zapier) supports many of the same applications that your suggested feature would support. And even that is only used currently by a limited number of Fingbox users right now. It would be interesting to hear about those application that you say it does not support.
    Head of Product at Fing
    Pooh
  • IdroyIdroy Member, Beta Tester Posts: 7
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Photogenic
    edited August 2019
    What i miss is to get local API access to the fing box..
    I have a smart home controller, that i can program with LUA code, so i can create API request to other IP devices to get the STATUS ... example, i use API request to get the status of my Harmony activity ...
    I want  to be able to use a API request to ask at the fingbox like, what users are on site, what users are leaved, what was the internet last speed check,... so my smart home controller can set the correct variables ... like if i come home my present status must be set to home, and example turn on tv an heating ...
    YES i know you can use IFTT but it is not LOCAL (delay + not working when ISP is down + Extra step .... )
    I am a early adopter, working in the professional IT Network sector.
    My Smarthome: Fingbox, Harmony, Fibaro HC2 (wireless sensors, plugs), IFTT, Sonos, IRobot, Echo DOTs, Echo Auto, Alexa App, Yonomi

Frankmikimike
  • adamadam Member, Beta Tester Posts: 63
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    @Gidster I for one would be happy to pay for a fing app pro version if it wasn't too much per year and allowed extra advanced functionality.   I totally understand that there are limited resources but I feel that there is still so much untapped potential of the system considering how much data you are collecting about a network, there are so many ways it could be put to good use.
    keithSwordy
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Idroy thanks for the feature suggestion. Let's see what others add to the post. We don't have plans for local API access in the immediate roadmap (see here). But of course all suggestions will be reviewed. 
    I've added the tag #featurerequest to this post for the dev/product team to review. 

IdroySwordy
  • GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
  • TinkerManTinkerMan Member Posts: 0
    Photogenic
    edited August 2019
    Hi. The backbone of IOT is MQTT. It would be great is Fingbox could support the protocol to publish messages to a broker. This way even if the Internet fails you could still send messages to your local devices like OpenHAB.
    FarmerJimmikimikeErik77SwordyFingFan2012
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @TinkerMan we've had this requested a few times. We don't yet have plans for it and it is not on the immediate road map. But I do encourage anyone who is wanting this feature to like this post. I'm also tagging this as a #featurerequest for product team review. 

TinkerManSwordy
  • BryceBryce Member Posts: 20
    10 Comments First Anniversary First Answer 5 Likes
    ✭✭✭

I just reread this, I see it lines up with my request for instant notifications when on the fingbox network. The fing app could just utilise an api for direct communication with the fingbox to give immediate alerts, instead of going via the internet and servers with all there inherent delays.

Regards, Bryce

• petercbpetercb Member, Beta Tester Posts: 8
    5 Likes First Comment Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I would definitely like to see this. If Fingbox sent an mqtt message, for example when a device joins or leaves the network it would open all sorts of possibilities for incorporating Fingbox data into node-red and home-assistant automations, a far superior option to IFTT.
    mikimike
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Moving this one over to the new Fingbox feature requests sub-category here:
    https://community.fing.com/categories/fingbox-feature-requests

• ChalkyblokeChalkybloke Member Posts: 5
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment

The IFTTT integration is fine for things you want to know about eventually but for things you want to know about in real time you need something like MQTT integration or web hooks.

I’d welcome anything that makes Fing integration notifications real time.

• RGN01RGN01 Member Posts: 43
    I really, really would like Fing to support mqtt for Home Assistant!

Other options like API, web calls / web hooks also very interesting. Please, Fing, consider doing this for the big - and growing - HASS community.
    kltaylorVioletChepilmikimikeErik77
    Another one dead keen to see MQTT support in Fing - please! :-)
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    attzonko said:

I am aware fing supports IFTTT however for smart home enthusiasts who use Home Assistant one basic goal is to have their home automation functional even without an active Internet connection, so having the ability to work directly with devices on the local network is key. Any chance Fing can explore such support? It can be achieved in many different ways: local MQTT support, local API, etc.

All thoughts and ideas welcome!

That's not a bad idea.  Thanks for mentioning it!
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    Erik77
  • MirekmalMirekmal Member, Beta Tester Posts: 68
    10 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    I can only second this! I tried to use many other presence dection solutions, but out of all of them Fing is the fastest reacting and most reliable one. When I or my wife arrive at home, I get notification on my iPhone/Apple Watch instantly, while other solutions either give notification with up to few minutes delay or even fail at all. Existing IFTTT integration is sometimes too slow also and internet connection. I've seen people trying to use email notifcation from Fing linked with hassio email sensor, but again it is not real time and also require Internet connection. Having real hassio integration would be HUGE advantage for hassio comunity!
    Gidster
  • DaveFiDaveFi Member, Beta Tester Posts: 9
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    I asked about MQTT support for Presence Detection in Home Assistant back in June 2017, and was told:

Presence detection is actually a use case which we are looking at closely and will certainly follow up on your recommendation, all of which seem very reasonable.

Sadly, still waiting!
    I really, really would like Fing to support mqtt for Home Assistant!

Other options like API, web calls / web hooks also very interesting. Please, Fing, consider doing this for the big - and growing - HASS community.
    Erik77
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking about this over night and I think that potential for integration is way bigger that initial thought... My immediate need is presence detection, so that was my starting point, but in reality how Home Assistant is used is way more than just automation. Lots of people are using it also for monitoring of their home infrastructure and just reporting the statuses of its various components. So from this perspective we could have:
    - presence detection for known IPs/MACs
    - monitoring of total number of active devices on network, or individual statuses (present, based on MAC, active, based on ping - same way as Fing report this)
    - reporting of online/offline status
    - internet connection speed reporting
    - ISP provider info
    - events notification
    - alerts about unknown devices
    - vulnerability/open ports reporting
    - bandwidth consumption (biggest users/devices)
    - probably some more...
    RGN01attzonkoPlantucha
  • jenzjenz Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    I also would appreciate a local API to at least give device status, e.g. is online or not. This would be an awesome addition to detection if someone is at home or not. Having to go to some cloud backend or additional service is just not needed.
    Pooh
  • jmalmjmalm Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    I have been waiting for this since I got my Fingbox a couple of years ago, for example I would love being able to tell Google Assistant to turn off the kids device's with a voice command!
    @Mirekmal this is a great thought and I hope that we will see this functionality shortly!
  • PlantuchaPlantucha Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
    5 Likes First Comment Photogenic
    The biggest reason for local API is a detection of the arriving device so it can turn off the alarm or turn on lights.
    Recent ifttt implementation is extremely slow it can take hours to get notification from ifttt.
    Also If the internet is down, the house can't disarm or recognize presence just because cloud isn't reachable.
    Now is everything just checking after the fact happened not real-time. 
    Also, it can significantly help fingbox servers not processing another event and sending it to another cloud.

Bryce
  • PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where were y'all thinking the broker would run on? The Fingbox, or elsewhere?
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
  • attzonkoattzonko Member, Beta Tester Posts: 12
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭

The broker can and probably should run elsewhere.

Agreed, @attzonko, the broker should run elsewhere, and for many who will use this functionality it probably already exists.
    ✭✭✭
    Broker, in case I suggested home assistant, would work elsewhere (like on Raspberry Pi for hassio distro). What we would need from side of Fing Box ia to have sort of API that would allow to read all this information from.