recognizes wrong location

servant74
servant74 Member Posts: 5
First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
I have two locations.  One with a fing box, and another without.  Both use the same IP address range.
I am at the one without my fing box, but the app keeps switching back to the locaiton with the Fing box, and updates the wrong locations device list.

Suggestions?
Tagged:
VioletChepil

Answers

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi thanks for the question just moving this one over to the Fingbox category :) I'm checking with my colleague @Robin on this

Community Manager at Fing

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,052
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @servant74 (I'm on Support Team here)

Every router has multiple network interface cards which is the reason, routers are able to provide multiple frequencies(2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz). These are different access points which have their own MAC address(BSSID). I believe some access points(BSSID) from your house are added on your Fingbox network and that is why it is being redirected to your Fingbox network. You can verify this by checking the MAC address of the Access points(BSSID). If any of the BSSID is being added to the wrong Fingbox then please remove it and it will resolve your issue. 

Please follow these steps:  
    1. Open the Fing App  
    2. Click on the Network Tab  
    3. Click on the Network Details section(This is the directly under your network name)  
    4. Scroll down and locate the Access Point Section  
    5. You will be able to see the BSSID with an option on the right to remove it. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    LeeVioletChepil
  • servant74
    Each of my houses has their own router.  It is initially recognized as the correct location.  If I re-scan, it ALWAYS changes to the location name that has the Fing box.  I can manually change the location name to the correct location, but that seems odd.  I do not remember this action in the past.  I have changed phones from a Pixel to a Pixel2 recently.
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Robin let us know any follow up details needed to help troubleshoot :) 

VioletChepil
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @servant74
    Can you attach a screenshot of the device so I can check? Also, Did you check if the BSSID were for your current network was not added in the Fingbox network?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    VioletChepil
  • Yes
    Yes Member, Beta Tester Posts: 19
    10 Comments 5 Likes Founder Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, i’m not sure wether i should create a new post or follow this up, but since it seems somehow related i’ll go for the second option:

Same problem here. I initially had 2 routers in my home network. Second router was used as an AP to the main router’s network. The Fingbox was physically connected to the second router and inherited the router’s SSID. After decommisioning this router and directly connected the Fingbox to the main router it still kept the old SSID.
    Now i wonder if it could do any harm if one accidentally remove the wrong entries from the BSSID list, while following the suggestion from @Robin ?
    VioletChepil
  • servant74
    As another point I forgot.  There are about 20 miles between the two locations/routers, they do not share the same SSID, or devices (other than a few phones and laptops that roam between them), but both use the same IP address range.  192.168.123.0/24
    VioletChepil
  • Pooh
    Pooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2019 #9
    There a reason they using the same range? Would it be possible to change one to say 192.168.124.0/24, or have one on 192.168.123.0/25 and the other on 192.168.123.128/25?
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepil
  • servant74
    I have some things at each location that are a pain to change the fixed address on.  so that is probably not going to happen.
    I noticed, it says that one location has not been used since Sept of last year, and that is the one that I was wanting to get going (we have recurring network problems there, it is a wifi network fed by another wifi network, ... a long story, basically trying to keep our home separated from my wifes job's network (that we as our upstream provider -- things like that happens when you live rural in a house provided by an employer. ... long story)
    VioletChepil
  • Pooh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did wonder if that was the limitation but it never hurts to ask.  :)
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Robin let us know next troubleshooting steps! 

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Yes said:
    Hi, i’m not sure wether i should create a new post or follow this up, but since it seems somehow related i’ll go for the second option:

Same problem here. I initially had 2 routers in my home network. Second router was used as an AP to the main router’s network. The Fingbox was physically connected to the second router and inherited the router’s SSID. After decommisioning this router and directly connected the Fingbox to the main router it still kept the old SSID.
    Now i wonder if it could do any harm if one accidentally remove the wrong entries from the BSSID list, while following the suggestion from @Robin ?
     The problem here is due to the fact that the SSID is saved in the network when the user performs the scan using the Fing App (also when onboarding the Fingbox). After this 1st scan, all other scans are being done by the Fingbox itself, but since the Fingbox is connected through a wired LAN cable, it's not capable of detecting new SSID(s) in the network. At the moment, apart from uninstalling the Fingbox and reinstalling it, there is no way of updating the SSID. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Yes
  • Pooh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Robin are there any plans to allow a "Full factory reset" of a Fingbox - something that allows you take take any Fingbox and make it 'like new'?
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Pooh said:
    @Robin are there any plans to allow a "Full factory reset" of a Fingbox - something that allows you take take any Fingbox and make it 'like new'?
    I don't believe any such plan will take place because of security reasons. When user presses the reset button, then the data and settings associated with Fingbox gets deleted but the account is still accessible with the same email as it was originally connected. If a user want to reset the Fingbox, they will have to contact us first. We can then verify the user and account and then we are able to reset fingbox for User's account. This is due to so that other users may not use the Fingbox after trying to reset the original account.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    servant74 said:
    I have some things at each location that are a pain to change the fixed address on.  so that is probably not going to happen.
    I noticed, it says that one location has not been used since Sept of last year, and that is the one that I was wanting to get going (we have recurring network problems there, it is a wifi network fed by another wifi network, ... a long story, basically trying to keep our home separated from my wifes job's network (that we as our upstream provider -- things like that happens when you live rural in a house provided by an employer. ... long story)
    Can you please check if you have enabled the location permissions for the Fing App? It's a very unusual error if you have already checked and verified the BSSID is not added to the Fingbox account. There might be an issue due to the same IP address range. To make sure this is the cause, If possible Can you try to change the IP address range or assign a Static IP address to your device?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Yes
    ✭✭✭

@Robin thanks for explaining👍🏻

For now i'll keep the obsolete SSID. I don't see any harm doing so.

Robin_from_Fing
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Yes - I've turned this one into a question thread. If you could please pick a BEST ANSWER so others know they can find an answer here too :) Cheers

• servant74
    Robin, BOTH SSIDs are valid and in use.  Just at different physical locations.
  • Yes
    ✭✭✭

Hi @VioletChepil, I would happily flag @Robin's answer the BEST ANSWER for my question👍🏻 Now since @servant74 is the original TS, i think it would be better if he could pick the BA? 😉

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok @Yes good point! @servant74 please choose a BEST ANSWER to help other members :)
    Or we can help more if needed.
    Cheers