Anyone else find the feature of outages relavant?

rgagnergagne Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
Anyone else find the feature of outages relavant
I love it in that I can call my cable company and get a discount when the internet is down loave it thank you
Tagged:
VioletChepilCarlo_from_FingevokAlberto_SkltaylorHronosMarc

Comments

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKAdministrator Posts: 1,616 admin
    Amazing feedback and thanks a lot for sharing :) @Carlo_from_Fing uor co-founder has put a lot of work into this for everyone! Glad you are loving it. 
    Thanks a lot for sharing. Just moving this over to the connectivity category! 
    Feel free to join/start/spearhead in the ISP chats too. https://community.fing.com/categories/isp
    We're looking to get more chats about outages detected by our Internet outages system too.
    Cheers,
    Violet

Community Manager at Fing

• AricAric Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    It would be nice if you could label the outages, though. Fing doesn't know the reason for the outage and it's not always the ISP that is at fault.
    kltaylorRJJVioletChepilMarc
  • kltaylorkltaylor Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭✭
    Aric said:
    It would be nice if you could label the outages, though. Fing doesn't know the reason for the outage and it's not always the ISP that is at fault.
    That's a great feature request!
    @rgagne is right, it's great when you can contact your vendor and have relevant data in your possession to advise to them of the issues that you've experienced, over what period of time, etc.
    When you contact a company as we have here in the U.S., having accurate data collected to provide to them that you know where there is an issue and how they can solve it, always stumps them. =)
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    VioletChepilMarc
  • PoohPooh Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kltaylor said:
    When you contact a company as we have here in the U.S., having accurate data collected to provide to them that you know where there is an issue and how they can solve it, always stumps them. =)
    Except when said company is either Comcast, AT&T or Spectrum, at which point they kick into "deny everything" mode and stick you with the obligatory $50  'Service Satisfaction fee' (or whatever nonsense name and amount those theiving baskets feel they can get away with without Ajit Pai caring).

I wish I were joking, if it wasn't for numerous anecdotal tales such as: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/70-charge-for-Comcast-outages/td-p/3237878

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepilkltaylor
  • MirekmalMirekmal Member Posts: 45 ✭✭✭
    Well, yes! I use it quite frequently to diagnose issues with my network:
    - from series of notifications I'm able to recognize at what point issue raised (I have relatively complex/for home LAN setup)
    - I can detect if issues is on ISP or on my LAN without running around house and checking individual components the connection goes through
    - I can instantly check if issues my wife is facing (she uses old Mac Mini, that has some stability issues) are related to computer or something is going wrong with LAN or Internet connectivity.
    - And foremost, if there is real ISP outage I can call them instantly and ask for reaction... Not sure why, but usually I'm the first one in neighborhood to let them know about issue :-)
    VioletChepilHronoskltaylor
  • pmbentronpmbentron Member Posts: 2
    Yes I also think it's good, however, is there a way to clear the red marker in the android app after an outage has occurred?  I often see an outage whether it's from my ISP doing work or me messing around with my LAN.  I would be good to be able to clear the red marker instead of waiting until the next day.
    kltaylorVioletChepil
    Thanks for the request @pmbentron - if you could submit that as an idea under Fing App - that would be good. Then the product team will review all the ideas etc. and others can upvote your idea if they would like to see it implemented too:
    https://community.fing.com/categories/feature-requests 

kltaylor
  • MarcMarc Member Posts: 313 ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing like getting the alert while I am at work so I can head off the inevitable calls from my family asking me why they can't connect at home.  For that alone I love it....
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    HronoskltaylorVioletChepilJMD
  • SimoneSpinozziSimoneSpinozzi Member Posts: 46 ✭✭✭
    yes i do for the same reason of the original poster
    VioletChepilkltaylor
    Hi @Antonio_Buttinelli thanks for your question. Just splitting this off into a new thread! 

kltaylor
  • Antonio_ButtinelliAntonio_Buttinelli Member Posts: 4
    grazie signorina violet
    VioletChepil