Google Maps Bug - Affecting all Android Apps

CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 840
500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
admin

We became aware of a serious (Priority 1, Severirty 1) bug on Google Maps  that is affecting all Android Apps, making them crash. That affects Fing as well

This is not connected with our release of Fing 8.9.4 

We have followed up in relation to this:  Response from Google Maps team so far is to “clear the App data” and retry.

Other users have also advised that uninstalling and reinstalling the app has worked for them.

The Google maps cache should expire soon and that should fix the issue worldwide.

The same issue affects Google Maps for iOS, but according to Google that should be already fixed

Apologies for any inconvenience.

Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!

Comments

• MarkoMarko Member Posts: 14
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Greetings,

my fing app keeps closing when I manoeuvre in the app I click on network and closes and I open it back and click on home it shuts down ...on my android phone it just shuts down I have tried to uninstall and same results 

Marko 
  • arianwen27arianwen27 Member Posts: 0
    Photogenic
    Hi, suddenly my fing app has started to crash as soon as I open it, I see the blue screen with the logo then my home screen. Reinstalling the app allows it to run until I log in or close and re-open it, then it won't start again. I am unable to control my fingbox now and I don't know what else to try. I am on android 9.0 and have been using this app and product for months. Any help would be great.
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Same thing with me on my phone it open up and I see the fing logo and shuts down and on my iPad opens and closes when I try to maneuver in the app 
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,348
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23

@Robin or @Ciaran , anyplace @arianwen27 should be looking at for troubleshooting? Is there an issue with her account?

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    pikatoste
  • pikatostepikatoste EspañaMember Posts: 56
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited April 24

Suddenly my application has stopped working. I can't start it.

I have reinstalled the application and been able to open it until I select my FingBox. At this time the application closes and I can no longer open it.

• KaiKai Member Posts: 7
    Photogenic First Comment
    My Fing app on my phone no longer works - tried on three devices in my house - neither works, Desktop on my laptop works fine. I need it to operate my fing box. What is going on? I uninstalled, restarted and re-installed the app - no avail.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23
    @Kai I am tagging @Robin and @Ciaran from Fing to look into your issue. 
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @pikatoste , I am tagging @Robin from Fing to look into your issue.
    pikatoste
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Marko, I am tagging @Robin and @Ciaran from Fing to look into your issue.
    Marko
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Ok thank you 

It seems to have already been resolved. I have been able to log in and for now it works ...

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you do anything special or did retrying eventually get you in?

Reinstalling the application allowed me to enter once. Then it was impossible. I have taken that opportunity to deactivate my FingBox and activate it twice again. For this I have had to reinstall the application several times. I reinstalled the app and disabled FingBox. I reinstalled the app and activated FingBox. I have repeated these two steps but the error was not fixed.

I have decided to wait and after 10 minutes it has returned to normal.

Very strange. I do not know if everything I have done has been of any use or has been a specific error in my profile

10 Comments Photogenic
    Hi,
    It Seems to be fixed works on my phone now and iPad
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Marko , did it just start working for you?
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Yeah what I did on my phone is cleared the data in my app section then opened it up and just fooled around in the app to see if it would shut down then I proceeded to login and now works..before was has soon has i login it would shut the app down my iPad was hit and go but it seems to be working now knock on wood LoL
    Cheers
    Marko

Marc
  • KaiKai Member Posts: 7
    Photogenic First Comment

Where do you clear data in app section? I could not find this option on the app details...

10 Comments Photogenic
    If you are on Android go to settings and from there you should see a TAB section that says apps it’s there if you have android then click on storage clear data this will make u login hope this helps 
    cheers 
    Marko 
  • reygio349reygio349 Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments Photogenic

Hi, I have the same issue until now. Everytime I try to click open the app it immediately shuts down and crashes. I did opened the app info and cleared the cashe and data and u installed the app. I even cleared the cashe partition on the android reboot option while the phone is off. Reinstalled app again but issue is still not resolved. Please help.

Thank you

The same thing happened to me last night. I reinstalled the app and reactivate FingBox several times but it didn't work. After 10 minutes, the error stopped occurring.

It seems to have happened to more users.

The same thing happened to me last night. I reinstalled the app and reactivate FingBox several times but it didn't work. After 10 minutes, the error stopped occurring.

It seems to have happened to more users.

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 0
    Photogenic
    Fing App - suddenly crashes, Been installed for 2 yrs on one device and 4 months on another. Both  devices Huawei, one Android 9 the other Android 10.
    Blue screens and no info. tried uninstalling, usual fixes for apps. still not working. I did install it on a spare Android 4.4.4 device and that works OK (old compatible version is stable?). On Huawei's maybe a new updated version has issues!
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 840
    admin

We became aware of a serious (Priority 1, Severirty 1) bug on Google Maps  that is affecting all Android Apps, making them crash. That affects Fing as well

This is not connected with our release of Fing 8.9.4 

We have followed up in relation to this:  Response from Google Maps team so far is to “clear the App data” and retry.

Other users have also advised that uninstalling and reinstalling the app has worked for them.

The Google maps cache should expire soon and that should fix the issue worldwide.

The same issue affects Google Maps for iOS, but according to Google that should be already fixed

Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    admin
    Hi All, thank you again for reporting this issue. I have merged all of the comments reporting this issue into one thread (so we can all receive updates at the one time & troubleshoot steps). Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Thank You for this information 

Google itself has recognized that the problem has affected several applications if they use their services to obtain location.

• GreentangerineGreentangerine Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment

My app is still crashing. Tried reinstalling etc. Was fine until two days ago.

• GreentangerineGreentangerine Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment

Finally got it working with another uninstall/reinstall/clear storage/clear cache iteration.

Ciaran
    admin
    We have released V 8.9.5 on Android to overcome this Google Bug. This should resolve it for everybody. Thank you all for reporting this.
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    pikatoste