How to port over names and assignments to "new" network

RichieRichie Member Posts: 2
Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
Hi, we have changed ISP and received a new router. Can you tell me how to move my new router into my old network or assign my network to the new router. It took weeks to Identify and name all our devices, assign them to users and schedule pauses. I'd rather not have to start from scratch. Can you assist please. 

Best Answer

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Richie welcome to our community and thanks for asking your question.
    If I remember correctly, as long as you have an account through the Fing app, moving the Fingbox from one network to another should present the same information since the Fingbox will look primarily at the MAC address of the device, not necessarily at it's vanity name.
    In a worse-case scenario it may be adventageous to maintain a record of those devices in an offline format, like a screen capture, etc.  Keep that information on your mobile device so you can reference it if you need to.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    Ciaran

Answers

• RichieRichie Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    kltaylor said:
    Hi @Richie welcome to our community and thanks for asking your question.
    If I remember correctly, as long as you have an account through the Fing app, moving the Fingbox from one network to another should present the same information since the Fingbox will look primarily at the MAC address of the device, not necessarily at it's vanity name.
    In a worse-case scenario it may be adventageous to maintain a record of those devices in an offline format, like a screen capture, etc.  Keep that information on your mobile device so you can reference it if you need to.
    Hi kltayor, thanks for answering so quickly. I've taken a backup as you recommended and will go for the changeover. 
    Thanks
    Richie
    Ciaran