Unwanted device on my wifi

Hello. 

I have an unwanted device on my Wi-Fi network. it changed names after I tried to kick it off using FING . first it was WPS access point ( atheros ruby ) then to WPS access point (atheros APxx) and now it's Hiltron technology (APxx). Address stayed the same. The first time kicking it off worked for 12 hrs then it came back and now can't remove it

I tried logging into my router admin online and I put the MAC address in my " device filter " under the blocked list -security , still didn't work.

My internet provider can't see it I can just on FING app . The IP address is outside of my (range) according to my router admin page. So the first 7 numbers of IP are the same as the rest of my devices. But last 3 are outside the range. 

Any advice would be helpful. 

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,145
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @dandpgallant170 , first thing I would do is to change the wifi password.  Something more complex than you had before....  See if that keeps it off your network.  Also change the wireless router admin password to something complex just in case that individual had it.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Ciaran
  • dandpgallant170dandpgallant170 Member Posts: 3
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2020

@Marc Yes but I worry if they are seeing my laptop they'll see the new password. Am I correct ?

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,145
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    if your laptop is compromised yes.  But then you have bigger issues then just the router.  In that case you could reset the router by connecting to it with your smartphones browser or app and re-set it as described.  Do not add your laptop back.  

If you're sure the laptop is compromised, then you will need to reset your laptop, basically putting it back to its factory settings.  Do not restore the OS or any apps from a backup.  You will need to add them back via trusted sources like your manufacturer supplied CD or certified App Store etc.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Ciaran
  • dandpgallant170dandpgallant170 Member Posts: 3

@Marc Thanks I'll try that. Seems extreme. But necessary . Shit.

Thanks again

• AriAri Member Posts: 10

I have the exact same issue how did you Solve it and what was it?