ISP change and network "doubled"

mickymix
mickymix Member Posts: 9
5 Likes Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
Last year I changed ISP at the office location, where there is one of my two FingBoxes...
Since that date, I have a new network in my network list, which is almost the exact copy of the previous one I had in my account.
Not a big issue, honestly, as I always ignored the new network (which DOES show my FingBox, but it does NOT show it as a registered FingBox... ).
Since I have now some spare time, I would like to fix this.
I tried disconnecting the FingBox from the original old NETWORK, removing power and network cable, leaving it out for 5 minutes and then reconnecting it and using the discovery feature.
I was happy everything was almost ok, until a couple of minutes later, when another network appeared again in my account (a network showing my ISP brand name -and location-, without any registered FingBox in it, but with my FingBox in devices list...).
How can I definitely fix this ?
kltaylor

Answers

• kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @mickymix welcome to the community and thanks for asking your question.
    Let me see if I understand this correctly:
    You own two Fingbox devices which monitors two seperate networks.  Are you using the same account in the FingApp to monitor both of those networks?
    Is the second network a known device on the network?  Have you identified it?  If not, have you blocked it from communicating?  If you can provide some screenshots that would be extremely helpful.  Please blur or mark out any sensetive personal data, we're only interested in seeing what you see when this issue happens.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • mickymix
    Hi @kltaylor, thank you for your quick answer...
    Yes, I have two separate FingBoxes, which I use on two separate networks (home and office) and they are both registered under my same account.
    The home one is OK, so, no need to talk about it...
    The Office one (called "Ufficio" in the attached image), is the one I'm reporting troubles with.
    The network "Ufficio" this morning was named the same way the third one in the image: "Fastweb in Buccinasco (192.168.10.0/24)", which is the name and headquarters location of my ISP.
    Actually, the same as I have right now...
    This is what I did:
    I selected the office network on my Androd device (not possible using the desktop PC...), long pushing its name, and selected "Deactivate" (or whatever in English, I have localized UI).
    So the network disappeared from my list and the FingBox turned to white light.
    Then I removed either power and network from the FingBox (don't know if it was useful, but... just in case...).
    I also removed the previously "automagically" created network called "Fastweb in Buccinasco" (as above) which appeared when I changed ISP last year...
    After 5 minutes I reconnected it and started over the discovery procedure.
    It was correctly discovered and I was able to find almost all of my devices with the same name they already had...
    Honestly, I thought it went all OK, as the "ISP Network" was not there anymore, I had my Office network back, with my FingBox correctly registered, so I just passed to something else.
    After 20 minutes, I went back to my profile page and I saw again what's in the image...
    I think that something went wrong... or that I just missed one step... or... I don't know...
    Do you have any hint ?
  • kltaylor
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the screenshot, I have it pulled up and displayed on my other monitor while I reply to you.
    What happens when you click on the Fastweb in Buccinasco on the left?  When that opens into another window do you have the option to 'Edit' that entry?
    With my setup, albeit I don't have two networks to monitor with it,  my local network was showing up as my ISP name until I changed it to reflect the name that I wanted.
    If we are still having an issue I'd like to bring in an Admin to help assess the issue and make a few suggestions.  Let me know and will get the proverbial ball rolling for you.
  • mickymix

Thank you @kltaylor ,

If I open the ISP network clicking on it, I can edit it correctly, but what I wonder about (forgot to stress this out) is that the two networks "Ufficio" and "Fastweb in ..." are actually the SAME network...

I can change the name (today, during my try, I renamed it to "Ufficio (Fastweb)" just to correctly identify it... and after the "coming back" of the doubled network, I found all the previous names...

The same behaviour of a cache "re-read"... :-(

Don't know how to proceed...

kltaylor
  • kltaylor
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's seek help from @Robin on this, maybe he can shed some light on it.
  • kltaylor
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2020 #7
    Afterthought:
    While the two networks may be the 'same name', I've noticed that your subnet is different per the network location (home or business).  I see two subnets in your screenshot:
    192.168.10.0-/24 vs 192.168.1.0/24.
    I'm going to guess that since there is an IP designation difference per network, they won't show up as 'one' network name. 
    Let's see what Robin can add to this, too.
    If they had the same subnet, 192.168.1.0/24 I think that there would be a collision of IP addresses (more than one device using the same IP can get confusing real fast) and this is a means to ensure content designations?
  • mickymix

Dear @kltaylor ,

I'm sorry my screenshot might have created confusion...

The two "colliding" networks are just the first ("Ufficio") and the third one ("Fastweb in..."), which actually are (is!) my office...

Fourth and following are just junk networks I've connected in the past and I kept for reference (my holidays home, my mother's in law home, etc...).

First two are office and home and (FingBox equipped) and third is duplicate of first one, the one I'm trying to get rid of...

:-P

kltaylor
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,052
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @mickymix
    I have sent you a private message as I will require further information to isolate the issue. Please reply to my private message directly. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    kltaylor