Is this normal?

jamzmjamzm Pittsburgh, PA, USAMember Posts: 113
10 Comments First Anniversary First Answer 5 Likes
✭✭

Why is Fing displaying 3 networks? Is this how it is supposed to behave?

I used to be fat.

Best Answers

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    jamzm said:
    Oh, sorry, can I rename the "Home" network to "RocketSurgery"?
    Yes you can, under 'Network' located at the bottom of the app, select that and then the ISP for your service, inside there you can click on 'edit' and rename the network to something more familiar.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    jamzm said:
    Just one more question.  Why is there a difference in the number of devices between the home and isp networks?  One or two of those missing devices are listed under the wifi extender.
    It could be that the devices are 'sleeping' and not currently connected via the extender.
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,706
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Accepted Answer
    jamzm said:
    Is that why clicking on the X's didn't delete them?  (If that's what they were supposed to do)  I wouldn't be havng such a problem if the app gave me the same display every day.  It's those variations that mess me up.  So, you're saying that what is there is more or less what I should have?
    As I can see from the information, you are trying to delete the gateway MAC address on which your Fingbox is activated. In your case, you will not be able to delete those as there will be any access point to monitor.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    That would be why, because they are showing the hardware and the MAC address assigned to them, not a software addition that can be removed.
    Yes, per consumer router you could see up to three MAC addresses for the one appliance.  One for each of the communication protocols that the router supports.
    jamzm

Answers

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @jamzm thanks for asking your question.
    In the screenshot that you had provided, shows the Fingbox device, then your home network, but it's that third device 'RocketSurgery' that I'm concerned with.  It seems to be attached to the same subnet but has a different bit value.  Most home network's are run on a /24 bit network, having an address from 192.168.x.1 - 192.168.x.255.  That device however, is using a /25 Mask bit subnet, what I would do is start disabling devices and wait until you have someone 'yell' to determine what it is and why it's on your network.
  • jamzmjamzm Pittsburgh, PA, USAMember Posts: 113
    ✭✭

Hi...thanks for answering. "RocketSurgery" is my SSID. I thought it would have been the only network displayed. Not sure how "home" or Armstrong ISP is getting there. Is there a way to have everything under SSID?

I used to be fat.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely!
    In your WiFi router, all that you would need to do is name both bands (2.4, 5Ghz) as the same name.  Using the same name (example: RocketSurgery) will allow for your device to automatically switch between those bands depending on which one is the strongest at your current location.
    Fingbox will display the ISP for your service, as it monitors and will report on any outages that your area may experience even if you're not directly experiencing it yourself.
    ✭✭
    Hi...Thanks again.  So, my 5Ghz band is "Rocket5Surgery".  If I remove the 5, will it straighten itself out?
    I used to be fat.
    ✭✭
    Okay, so both bands have the SSID, RocketSurgery.  And here's what I have.  Is this the way it should be displayed?

I used to be fat.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    That is definitely one way to handle the situation.  With both bands containing the same SSID name, the router will work to switch to the respective band that is the strongest depending on your location to it.
    ✭✭
    Here is what I woke up to this morning.  Why doesn't my SSID show?  I'm thinking it's because the router is listed under one or both of the ones displayed.

I used to be fat.
    ✭✭
    Just one more question.  Why is there a difference in the number of devices between the home and isp networks?  One or two of those missing devices are listed under the wifi extender.
    I used to be fat.
    kltaylor
    ✭✭
    Oh, sorry, can I rename the "Home" network to "RocketSurgery"?
    I used to be fat.
    kltaylor
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,706
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @jamzm

Thank you for your post. As we have investigated, the reason for multiple networks is due to some access points are saved in the earlier network before activating Fingbox and after adding the Fingbox, not all access points are added to Fingbox. To resolve this, you need to make sure all access points are added to your Fingbox network and then you can delete the old network.  

I need you to verify the BSSID section(access points) and see if all access points are added on your Fingbox network or not. This will resolve your issue.  

Please follow these steps:  
    1. Open the Fing App  
    2. Click on the Network Tab  
    3. Click on the Network Details section(This is the directly under your network name)  
    4. Scroll down and locate the Access Point Section  
    5. You will be able to see the BSSID with an option on the right to remove it. 

If any access point is not present then please connect to all access points one by one and try to add the access point if not already present on Fingbox network.  

In order to add the access point for Fingbox, first you need to be connected to the access point network which you want to add. Then open the Fing App and choose the Fingbox network from the dropdown list. Go to the ‘Network’ tab and select either Wi-Fi Intrusion Protection or Wi-Fi Performance and you will be able to add the Access point for the current network your device is connected to. You can only add the Access point either from the Wi-Fi Performance tab or Wi-Fi Intrusion Protection tab.  

After Adding the access point, you will receive the New Access point alert and you need to accept it as a trusted gateway and the access point will be added successfully. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    kltaylor
    ✭✭

Hi Robin. My isp is down right now. I will try your suggestion when I get them back. Thank you.

I used to be fat.
    kltaylor
    ✭✭

Hi again. Here's where I'm not sure how to proceed. The x's to the right do nothing.

Thanks

I used to be fat.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Those MAC addresses may represent your WiFi band MAC addresses which should total 3 on a dual-band WiFi router.  Ethernet, 2.4 and 5Ghz should be represented there.
    Example:
    Result for:

c0:56:27

Address Prefix c0:56:27
    Vendor / Company belkin international inc.
    Start Address c05627000000
    End Address c05627ffffff
    Company Address 12045 e. waterfront drive playa vista ca 90094 us

✭✭
    Is that why clicking on the X's didn't delete them?  (If that's what they were supposed to do)  I wouldn't be havng such a problem if the app gave me the same display every day.  It's those variations that mess me up.  So, you're saying that what is there is more or less what I should have?
    I used to be fat.
    kltaylor