New device showing up

LilyLily Member Posts: 4
First Comment

Forgive this basic question, but very non-tech person here. Going thru an ugly split and trying to protect myself from his extreme tech tactics. Downloaded fing several months ago and discovered he'd placed spy cameras all around. Now a new device has shown up. Any help would be appreciated. It shows a solid black circle with a dotted line (circle) around it - like a bulls-eye, and says "generic". What should I be on the look-out for?

Answers

• BiventBivent Member Posts: 9
    Name Dropper First Comment
    Lily first access your router and change access username and password and WiFi passwords, make sure all are strong. If you are locked out of doing this go to the web site for the router and find out how to do a manual reset and how to setup your router. Basically starting from scratch. Print out instructions as you'll lose internet while you are resetting router.
    You may get an idea of what type of generic device it is by finding the manufacturer and doing a search on that. To do this copy the MAC address of the device and paste it into a MAC address lookup site e..g https://macvendors.com/ (The first 3 numbers of the MAC address is the vendor ID). Clicking on the Bullseye of the generic device should give you more info including MAC.
    Hope this helps.
  • LilyLily Member Posts: 4
    First Comment

Thank you very much Bivent. He keeps the router locked up so he can kick me off the internet when he wants to "punish" me. I'll follow your instructions and see what I discover. Will probably have follow up questions later.

Lily

First Comment

Tried to find the vendor without luck.

AA:EC:CB:A0:E0:BF

Copied from fing list. Says no such vendor?

Lily

• BiventBivent Member Posts: 9
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2020
    @Lily if you can't control your home internet connection then get your own connection, or at least a VPN, if go with the VPN, install it on any devices that you use to connect to the internet with. If the untraceable MAC is malicious this at least will lower your threat level.
    There are a lot of VPN's available so a little research is needed on your end to get something that is suitable.
    You can also use your phone as a WiFi hotspot however this generally has very limited data allowances each month. 
    If you are using windows on your laptop change the network for WiFi to Public (if not already done) and make sure file and print sharing are OFF.  This only makes it slightly harder for someone to access your computer. Search for instructions on changing network to public for this.

First Comment

Already using VPN. Live way out on the sticks so Internet is crappy at best. Did the phone hot spot the first month he started jacking with me. I run a home business and I burned up the "unlimited" minutes in no time. sigh

I think the new item is a Mod bus RTU. Now need to figure out if hes using it to enhance the security cameras in some way. Whatever he is doing with it, I am sure its targeted at me somehow.

Lily