Summary View Blank Window!!!!

phil366637phil366637 Member Posts: 8
First Comment Photogenic
edited April 20 in Fing Desktop
When viewing the network scan all was fine until I clicked on the little icon to change the view to summary, I was viewing the Technical format. After clicking on Summary the Fing window went blank with just the Title Bar showing. I can quit Fing and restart it and all appears fine until I try to view the last network scan, then the window goes blank again. Even if i do a New Scan i still get the blank window. Wow! this is critical. I can't see the scan results anymore.
Windows 10, Fing 1.3.1

Answers

• HereComeTheBugsHereComeTheBugs Member, Beta Tester Posts: 11
    Photogenic 5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 20
    Same exact problem for me. Also on Windows 10 with Fing version 1.3.1.... I'm totally stuck. Cant view any devices as my device view is a blank screen after clicking the summary button on the device listing page. I tried quitting the App entirely (closed the tray bar program) and relaunching it. After relaunch I can see the normal home screen. If I click "Connectivity" and then click "Scan for devices" the Fing Desktop app screen goes completely blank. Same happens if I try to click "see last scan". I also tried completely uninstalling the app and installing a fresh copy. Still no dice. It appears we have uncovered a pretty substantial bug. 
  • FcoyFcoy Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Been like that since V1.3.0. You might get a clue as to what's going wrong by checking your log files

• phil366637phil366637 Member Posts: 8
    First Comment Photogenic
    Fcoy said:
    Been like that since V1.3.0. You might get a clue as to what's going wrong by checking your log files

Is there anyway to recover from the bug without losing all Edits?

edited April 20
    @Fcoy where are the logs located? 
    Edit: Not seeing anything in C:\Program Files\Fing, C:\temp, C:\Windows\Logs, or C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles. Not sure where it stores logs?
    edited April 20
    I did some more poking around and think the issue for me was relating to my McAfee Total Protection firewall blocking the Fing app (recently installed McAfee a few days ago and should have thought to check it... duh). I went into my McAfee settings and made sure that the settings for the Fing app were set correctly. I set Incoming and out going access for the Fing app to "Open to all devices" and Netguard was set to "Off". After doing that my Fing Desktop app is no longer going blank when viewing my devices and clicking the summery icon. I'll monitor periodically and see if the issues comes back. 
    Robin
    10 Comments Photogenic
    You can access the logs directly from the app by clicking on the version number just above your name on bottom left of the home screen.  Or user\AppData\Roaming\Fing and C:\User\AppData\Roaming\FingAgent\Log.

First Comment Photogenic
    I did some more poking around and think the issue for me was relating to my McAfee Total Protection firewall blocking the Fing app (recently installed McAfee a few days ago and should have thought to check it... duh). I went into my McAfee settings and made sure that the settings for the Fing app were set correctly. I set Incoming and out going access for the Fing app to "Open to all devices" and Netguard was set to "Off". After doing that my Fing Desktop app is no longer going blank when viewing my devices and clicking the summery icon. I'll monitor periodically and see if the issues comes back. 
    I'm not using McAfee, only Windows Security. I checked the Firewall settings and added Fing to the list of allowed but that didn't help. Also checked the Fing logs and don't see any user friendly error messages that are of any help. If only I could put it back into the Technical view I'd be happy. For now the application is useless.

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,312
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Thanks for the information. We are working on a fix for blank screen and the reason for this error is an interruption during the device scan.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Version 1.3.2 same white screen problem.  Logs attached.

First Comment Photogenic
    Well, haven't tried Fing desktop for several days. When I opened it this morning, to my surprise,  I was able to view the last scan and run new scans, somehow the view had switched to Standard instead of Summary which started this whole issue. Anyway, now it's stuck in Standard and I'm unable to change to the other views, the sorting also doesn't work. Then, a new release 1.3.2 was installed. Same problems.
    admin
    Well, haven't tried Fing desktop for several days. When I opened it this morning, to my surprise,  I was able to view the last scan and run new scans, somehow the view had switched to Standard instead of Summary which started this whole issue. Anyway, now it's stuck in Standard and I'm unable to change to the other views, the sorting also doesn't work. Then, a new release 1.3.2 was installed. Same problems.
    Can you try to change the filter from Mobile app while Fing Desktop is closed and then open the Fing Desktop and run a scan and see if the filter on Fing Desktop works?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    First Comment Photogenic
    With desktop closed I started Mobile and  changed the filter on Mobile to IP then restarted the desktop and ran a new scan and the filter changed to IP. The desktop filter is stuck on IP. The drop drown selector functions but I can't change the choice to something different. I then closed down Mobile and I was able to change the filter on the desktop to Name, but just one time, it's stuck on Name now and the IP choice is also highlighted in the drop down.
    I'm also getting the "Something Went Wrong" display on the desktop when running a new scan.

admin
    Thanks @phil366637 for the feedback. Fing agent needs the Windows libraries which are installed with the WinPcap package during FingDesktop installation, it used to make packet capture and filtering useful our engine to protocol analyzers and network monitors.

Fing agent service cannot work properly without the correct installation of WinPcap. 

Please open the command prompt and return the output:

• sc query npf

it's useful to understand if the WinPcap has been installed correctly and it is running properly.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    First Comment Photogenic
    Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.778]
    (c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>sc query npf
    SERVICE_NAME: npf
            TYPE               : 1  KERNEL_DRIVER
            STATE              : 4  RUNNING
                                    (STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
            WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 0  (0x0)
            SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 0  (0x0)
            CHECKPOINT         : 0x0
            WAIT_HINT          : 0x0
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>

admin
    Thanks for the information @phil366637
    I will pass on your information to developers for review. I will update you once I have new information.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)