Fing Desktop vs Mobile App

Bob_LBob_L Member Posts: 7
Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment
edited April 2020 in Fing Desktop
I apologize in advance if this isn’t the right place for this question, but I wasn’t sure where posting it made the most sense.

As you guys can’t help but be aware, there are several variances between the Desktop application and the Mobile apps.  I’ve learned what is where, so I’m pretty efficient at pulling up the appropriate app as needed.  But it has made me very curious.  So, I thought perhaps on of the moderators on another member of the community might be able to help answer a few questions.

How does Fing see each of the applications being used?  Why not the same functionality in both places?  Is it done purposefully?  Are there hardware/software reasons that drive the variance?  Or is it the long term intention to have them have all the same functionality as part of the roadmap?

I love the product regardless and have been thrilled with the Desktop addition so far.  Just wishing the device/user control was there, too.

Thanks!

Bob

Comments

• PimplesPimples Member Posts: 8
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Photogenic
    I agree with the question.  What is the purpose of the desktop app if you have a fingbox on the same network that you're monitoring with the app. Do they serve different purposes?  It seems like you don't even need a fingbox with the desktop app installed on a PC.
    Bob_L
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,706
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi All,
    Please check this link which may answer your most of the questions: https://community.fing.com/discussion/2300/fing-desktop-beta-beta-testers-objective
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Bob_LBob_L Member Posts: 7
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment
    Thanks!  That helped a lot.
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 1,092
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks folks, and very worthwhile queries. To quote the most relevant section from Robin's link, which you may find useful:

Objective of Fing Desktop:

Are you the IT advisor of your family and friends? What do you think about leveraging Fing Desktop to be able to help them troubleshoot their problems much faster – even remotely?
    Once you have Fing desktop installed on your family and friends laptops, they’ll be able to share with you their issue, even when there is no connectivity at all (provided they have a smartphone with Internet with them), and you could be able to assist them by leveraging the health checks analysed by Fing.

The main function of the Fing Desktop is to help troubleshoot your network in a more powered and accurate way than the current mobile App, offering better troubleshooting tools & functionalities to help achieve this.

We are essentially trying to develop a Fing ecosystem, where the same account allows to keep on building and choosing the most suitable tool for you and your needs.

From a technological standpoint, in comparison to other Fing products, it can be considered:

Fing Mobile < Fing Desktop < Fing Box.

Fing Desktop allows a far more precise engine than the mobile app, but doesn’t require a purchase of a dedicated hardware.

Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!