Fing App 9.0 and multiple fingbox sites

smackiesmackie Member, Beta Tester Posts: 8
Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
I've been a fingbox user for a long time and have a bunch of fingboxes scattered around to make it easier to help relatives diagnose network problems. However, I'm really confused about something in the new fing app UI.

At the top of the display, it always shows me the first alphabetic site (along with the people there) instead of the site that I'm currently on. It shows the correct network and SSID for my location tho - just that the top part has no relevance to where I am.

If I hit "Scan for devices", it asks me if I want to switch to the active fingbox so the app knows where I am.

I can see any way to set the current site manually either (unlike the previous version). Help? Anyone tell me whether this in intended behavior, a setting mistake or a bug?

Cheers!

Scott... 
Tagged:

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,370
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ciaran , can you help out @smackie 's usage question?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,386
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Hi @smackie

Thanks for the feedback. We understand that the application underwent some changes to better meet the needs of different users, and we ask for help from our loyal users to get used to the new system.

All your Fingbox data is available by simply tapping the Fingbox name on the home screen - a tabbed view will open with all your available data.

A nice addition for users like you who have multiple Fingboxes is the ability to see multiple Fingboxes on the home screen, which you couldn't do before. Use the "All Networks" button to display all the networks you have, including Fingboxes, and swipe to add them to the home screen (screenshots attached).

Here is a video where we go through the characteristics of Fingbox, in:

https://youtu.be/otvtyxsRhug?t=158

I hope you get used to (and appreciate) the changes soon.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • smackiesmackie Member, Beta Tester Posts: 8
    Robin,

Thanks but that doesn't answer my question. Why does the top of the app (1/3 of the screen real estate) by default show a site that I'm not interested in (at the moment) with no way to seemingly change it. I can navigate around but I can't seem to get that top section to change (and persist) to anything immediately useful.

Cheers!

Scott...

Just to add some clarity - I know how to get to the various other sites from "All Networks". But the slash screen of the app always shows the wrong site (i.e. not the one that the app recognizes as my current location). What does the fing app use as a selector for picking the site for the display on the top 1/3? SSID? Geolocation? I do have location services enabled. I'm trying to work out if this is a config issue, a bug or intended behavior (in which case, I have a complaint. :smiley: )

Cheers

Scott...
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,370
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Could one of you screenshot the area you have identified so perhaps @Robin has a better idea of what your looking for?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Okay, my issue is shown below. Austral is the fingbox at my mother-in-law's place but I'm in Santa Cruz and the site *should* be Walnut. No matter what happens, Austral is always selected for the home page of the app. This can't be how it's intended to work so I'm trying to work out what's broken in having the correct site selected. I've been a fingbox user for a long time (had them since the start) and the sites have been around a while. They all have current geolocation info (as far as I'm aware).

Cheers

Scott...

• MurrayMurray Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper 5 Likes
    ✭✭
    The initial screen in v9 is basically of no use to me... I know what Internet provider I have and I don’t need a comparison.... the heat map looks nice, but again not what I need on a initial screen. I immediately have to try and find what Fingbox I am interested in to get to it’s set of data and be able to run tests etc. This is additional screens to go through, and switching between boxes involves stepped back through menus.

not a good update... plus why add a CLEAR button as an option at the bottom of the screen... I assume it has a confirmation requirement before the clear is actually initiated?
  • PimplesPimples Member Posts: 8
    5 Likes First Comment Photogenic
    I agree with other posters on this forum.  The prior version allows you to easily switch between multiple fingboxes from the main page.  I have two (at home and my office).  Now you have to click on All networks and select the fingbox you want to see.  On top of that, it only allows you to have one fingbox on the home screen.  If you select one as the the default, you have to deselect the other.  You should be able to have multiple fingboxes on the main page like the prior version.
    admin
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will pass on your suggestions to our Developers for review. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    edited April 24
    Okay @Robin - I guess it's working as expected but it seems like it could be a lot more useful on the splash page.
  • DP1DP1 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    I have the same situation.  2 homes and I want to install a Fing box in the 2nd home.  Any idea when it will become easier?  I will wait to order until then.
    admin
    DP1 said:
    I have the same situation.  2 homes and I want to install a Fing box in the 2nd home.  Any idea when it will become easier?  I will wait to order until then.

If you are connected to the network that you want to add the Fingbox too then in order to add the Fingbox please check the mentioned settings are done. 

Under App Settings, please make the following 2 changes: 

1. Disable Reverse DNS Lookup 

2. Change the Maximum network size to match your network size. 

To do this: 

• Open the Fing app, ensure that you are on the Network associated with your Fingbox 

• Tap on the Avatar icon in the top-right corner 

• Choose 'App Settings' 

• Scroll down and go to the "Maximum Network Size" setting and select the size based on the number of devices connected to network in your house. 

These changes should help with the issues in scanning.  

In order to add the Fingbox to the Fing App, make sure that the Fingbox is powered off first. 

1. Connect your device(phone or tablet) to the network that you want to add the Fingbox too 

2. Scan the network to create that network in the Fing App 

3. Make the recommended changes to the App Settings 

4. Connect the Fingbox to the network that you are trying to add it to, and plug it in 

5. Once the Fingbox is powered up and it's green 

6. Try to add the Fingbox to that network. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)