Latest iOS version of Fing App really disappointing.

MikeTMikeT Member Posts: 7
First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
I've just updated my apps on my iPhone 7 Plus and have upgraded to the latest version of the Fing app and have to say I'm really disappointed with it.

Firstly all my devices now show as "Generic" devices instead of how they were displayed on the previous version of the app which showed them as correct device types.
Secondly, when I go into each device and try and change the device type to the correct device it is never saved and when I go back to the main device screen it just shows generic device still. I've tried changing the device type so many times and it never takes effect. Such a simple bug that should had been squashed in testing.

Thirdly, the user interface has changed once again and is even more difficult to find what I want. It seems that the interface keeps changing for the sake of change rather than actually making it easier to find what you are looking for or adding new functionality. Each time I go into my devices I find more and more information missing!

I am now at the point where I am looking to dump the Fingbox and write something of my own to manage my devices as it never seems to improve, just gets worse with each release.

I'm sure I will get a lot of insults for writing this but, I am at the point where I think it needs to be said in an open forum.

Yours disappointed.

Mike.

KWL

Comments

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,760
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @MikeT

Thanks for the feedback. We understand that the application underwent some changes to better meet the needs of different users, and we ask for help from our loyal users to get used to the new system.

All your Fingbox data is available by simply tapping the Fingbox name on the home screen - a tabbed view will open with all your available data.

A nice addition for users like you who have multiple Fingboxes is the ability to see multiple Fingboxes on the home screen, which you couldn't do before. Use the "All Networks" button to display all the networks you have, including Fingboxes, and swipe to add them to the home screen (screenshots attached).

Here is a video where we go through the characteristics of new Fing App, in:

https://youtu.be/otvtyxsRhug?

In order to retain all the networks and device customizations saved, please make sure you are signed in to Fing App.

Also, I would like you to make sure that you have enabled all permissions required for the Fing app to operate. Please go to phone settings and set location permissions so Fing App is able to read the SSID correctly. And also, please make sure that other required permissions for Fing app are enabled as well and then open Fing App and run a scan to see the changes.

With new Android and Apple O.S versions, the location permissions are mandatory for the Fing App to operate and identify all the devices on the network. If you have not enabled the location permissions then every time you scan the network then Fing App will not be able to display the access point name and the device customizations will be lost and revert to the default value(Generic).

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • MikeTMikeT Member Posts: 7
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2020
    Hi,

Thanks for the swift reply.
    I've checked all the above and have the settings enabled correctly.
    It's worth noting that I only have 1 Fingbox, not multiple as you've stated above.
    I've also now noticed that the Fingbox only shows 1 AP on my network whereas it used to show all 3, something else that seems to have disappeared during the upgrade.
    Having rescanned I still see that the devices no longer have the correct device type shown. I've tried editing and selecting the icon representing the correct device type but this is never saved. Devices continue to show as "generic" even though I tried changing them.

I'm sorry to say that the new user interface really is a huge step backwards. Each time I upgrade my device information is moved further and further away from me and requires more and more touches to get to it. The best version was where when you opened the app the devices were listed right there in front of you, you didn't have to hunt around for them. 

Another thing to note is that when there is a notification of an event it is now almost impossible to find it and when you do, the notification doesn't go away, it still shows as if you haven't viewed it.

I have a lot of virtual servers running here on a 3 node private cloud all of which now show up incorrectly and I will have to spend a lot of time going through all of them trying to get them represented correctly, not to mention all the smart home and personal devices. I'm sure my network is more complicated than most as I need this kind of setup for my work however, the Fingbox really should cope better when being upgraded and customisation of device information shouldn't be lost.

Can you please feed this back to the development team as I fear they are going down a wrong path with this device which will result in people like me who are experienced IT professionals moving away from what was a good product at the outset.

Thanks,
    MikeT.