5G for home connectivity

Hello, has  anyone tried 5G yet for home connectivity ?
I tried 4G but it was a mess, operators put you in the queue if you do not change IP or location (they told me this...) and the performances slow down next to zero in a couple of days, furthermore in my area the signal goes up and down. 
Any experience with 5G ?
Thanks
Davide
VioletChepilAngRobin_from_FingGidsterCiaran

Comments

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Curious to get more feedback on this one! I've promoted this post for more visibility on the question. 

Community Manager at Fing

• Pooh
    Pooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5G is way too new for anyone to have any true usage at this time. In addition there's 5G and there's 5G mmWave (which is a subset, but also where the biggest speed potential is, and also, the biggest hurdles), and the two are quite radically different.

In theory 5G should be better than 4G LTE simply because it can support more bandwidth, however where 4G LTE is a very well established technology by now, vendors are still working out the kinks on 5G and I'd expect to have middling performance than may bet better, may be worse, as time moves on.
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    AngVioletChepil
  • Ferlauto
    Ferlauto White Plains, NYMember Posts: 53
    25 Agrees 25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    AT&T is just starting to advertise 5G mobile hotspots.  They pretty much exclusively sell Netgear models.  It appears the first 5G offering will be a "Nighthawk" model, as opposed to the "Unite" models.  The Nighthawk looks like a thicker version of one of those pagers you use in a restaurant like Panera.  The Unite model, which has the approximate linear dimensions of a credit card (but obviously thicker) is most adept for home because Netgear offers a docking station for the Unite to turn it into a basic 4-port "home" router. The real product is, "AirCard Smart Cradle."
    For now, I would keep your eye on Netgear, maybe even create an alert.  But I do not see any products live as of yet.
    Hope this helps.
    MDavideAngGidsterVioletChepil
  • kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    MDavide said:
    Hello, has  anyone tried 5G yet for home connectivity ?
    I tried 4G but it was a mess, operators put you in the queue if you do not change IP or location (they told me this...) and the performances slow down next to zero in a couple of days, furthermore in my area the signal goes up and down. 
    Any experience with 5G ?
    Thanks
    No, and only because our house is a 'connected home', meaning that everyone in the home has multiple wireless devices, smart home devices, etc.  I'd kill my bandwidth instantly with 5G.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    MDavideVioletChepil
  • GadgetVirtuoso
    GadgetVirtuoso Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Founder
    ✭✭✭
    I would expact to see some 5G home service coming over the next couple of years as 5G rolls out. Home 5G service will likely invole having an antenna mounted on your home, similar to a TV antenna or fixed wireless today. The FCC recently announced a rule changed that will allow homes to become nodes so one home in the neighborhood will be the actual antenna and home around it will connect to that home: a 5G mesh network if you will.
    VioletChepil