Device List detail data sync between Android and Desktop apps

AnthonyBAnthonyB Member Posts: 23
10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭
I use both the Desktop and Android versions and I do have account synchronization enabled.
What is frustrating is that device names, details, location, icon, etc. does not synchronize across platforms which means that i have to edit the same thing twice, on two different devices. 
Please consider developing a common schema for information storage across ALL platforms so that data can be edited on any device and sync to all devices irrespective of platform. 
MarcAnthonyBTechieSophiedcpdpDavidFdaved2424JdubMickeyFerlautokdeggTerriNTERNET7lynnklaaubinFreerkMajeedCverstouriga
19 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• DavidFDavidF Member Posts: 19
    10 Comments Photogenic First Answer
    I agree - having Fing Desktop and Fing App keep separate lists of network data is a missed opportunity. They should sync and share data, so you have one set of network devices visible and editable in both. 
    NTERNET7GMadd33touriga
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,363
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Hi All,
    Thanks for your post. I would like to know if you are using Fingbox or not. To address your query, I would like to tell you that if you have Fingbox and then you install Fing desktop then, first of all, you will see multiple networks under your account. Only those networks will merge from Fing mobile app and Fing desktop which are without Fingbox.  

Also, if you are in the mobile app and then you open Fing Desktop network then names, customization will merge but not with the Fingbox network. And if you have iOS 11+ without mac address and if you run a scan from there, you will see another network w/o any mac address. If you open the network pushed by Fing desktop, you will see it but will not be able to refresh from mobile.  

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Robin, 
    Thank you for the response. I have a Fingbox, Fing Android App, and Fing Desktop. I see, now that you pointed it out, that there are separate network visible in the App for the Fingbox network and the desktop network. 
    Is there anyway to see and modify the Fingbox Network on Fing Desktop? It is just an easier interface. 
    admin
    Currently, both Fingbox and Fing Desktop are separate applications and we can modify the fingbox settings or networks from Fing Desktop. If anything changes in the near future, everyone over here will be notified via an announcement. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Terri
  • AnthonyBAnthonyB Member Posts: 23
    ✭✭
    edited April 29
    In my case, I do not have a Fingbox and no iOS devices.
    I just use the Fing Desktop App on 1 Windows PC and the Fing Android App on my phone (Android 10) and tablet (Android 9)
    From what I am seeing the two Android devices don't even sync device list? I'm having to edit the same details on each Android device. If that is by design, that is nuts.
    Anyway, I hope where the same network is 'seen' by different devices and platforms, in the future, there can be a common devices list maintained.
    NTERNET7touriga
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,350
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @AnthonyB , you should upvote this request and let's see if it gets more traction from the user community.  Just scroll up the thread and you should see the voting box, click it to vote.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • AnthonyBAnthonyB Member Posts: 23
    ✭✭
    LOL. I didn't realise you can (or need to) upvote a request you make... :smile:
  • dcpdpdcpdp Member Posts: 4
    First Comment Photogenic
    So I am confused. I had first only used the app, then the desktop app. Then I bought the Fingbox once I saw how it worked. Are you somehow saying that - even if I'm signed in with the same account information - these databases aren't intended to sync? I've been driving myself crazy trying to close the app, open the app, reboot the device, etc. I've also got the "sync" box checked. Why on earth is this designed to NOT sync, then?
    That is exactly the way it is now, Dcpdp. 
    Fing App and Fingbox work fine together. Fing desktop is a stand-alone application currently and cannot edit fingbox/fingapp data. 
    Upvote and hopefully we can get it on the roadmap to join the two. 
  • daved2424daved2424 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 11
    10 Comments Photogenic
    This is unbelievable. What is the point of having an account if they can't do simple things like syncing names? I was an early backer for Fingbox and it has been absolutely great, but the past 12 months has just been a catalogue of bad developments. The iOS App crashing endlessly. The App being updated with things moved around here there and everywhere all the time so you can't find anything. The speed test functionality breaking. The desktop app not working properly on one of my machines and support just giving me the same advice over and over (I deleted the app and ignored their messages - I lost patience). And now I learn that this release version of the desktop app doesn't even sync names which caused me no end of confusion. Honestly, this is just getting tiring. Fing, please stop updating or releasing stuff until you have properly tested it!
    admin
    Hi @daved2424
    Currently, both Fingbox and Fing Desktop are separate applications and you can't modify the fingbox settings or networks from Fing Desktop. If anything changes in the near future, everyone over here will be notified via an announcement.
    Also, I would like to tell you that if you have Fingbox and then you install Fing desktop then, first of all, you will see multiple networks under your account. Only those networks and names will merge from Fing mobile app and Fing desktop which are without Fingbox.  

Also, if you are in the mobile app and then you open Fing Desktop network then names, customization will merge but not with the Fingbox network. And if you have iOS 11+ without mac address and if you run a scan from there, you will see another network w/o any mac address. If you open the network pushed by Fing desktop, you will see it but will not be able to refresh from mobile.  

Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • dcpdpdcpdp Member Posts: 4
    First Comment Photogenic

"Also, I would like to tell you that if you have Fingbox and then you install Fing desktop then, first of all, you will see multiple networks under your account. Only those networks and names will merge from Fing mobile app and Fing desktop which are without Fingbox.  

Also, if you are in the mobile app and then you open Fing Desktop network then names, customization will merge but not with the Fingbox network. And if you have iOS 11+ without mac address and if you run a scan from there, you will see another network w/o any mac address. If you open the network pushed by Fing desktop, you will see it but will not be able to refresh from mobile."

What??? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but I'm a tech person and still have no idea what this means, except that it won't work like it should.

admin
    dcpdp said:

"Also, I would like to tell you that if you have Fingbox and then you install Fing desktop then, first of all, you will see multiple networks under your account. Only those networks and names will merge from Fing mobile app and Fing desktop which are without Fingbox.  

Also, if you are in the mobile app and then you open Fing Desktop network then names, customization will merge but not with the Fingbox network. And if you have iOS 11+ without mac address and if you run a scan from there, you will see another network w/o any mac address. If you open the network pushed by Fing desktop, you will see it but will not be able to refresh from mobile."

What??? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but I'm a tech person and still have no idea what this means, except that it won't work like it should.

To explain, if you have a Fingbox and you are using a Fing Dekstop, then you will see two networks, one from the Fingbox and one from the Fing Desktop. As Fing Desktop is a separate product, it works separately and does not integrate with Fingbox as of the moment. If something changes with future release then we will let all users know.
    Also, if you are using an Apple device, then as apple restricted from identifying he MAC addresses, then Fing App may create multiple networks provided Fing App is unable to read the MAC address and recognise if the devices are coming from same network or different. Only the network from Fing mobile app and Fing Desktop can merge, given the MAC address is being able to read by the Fing App. And if you select the Fing Desktop network from the Fing mobile app(not the Fingbox network) then if you have made any changes to Fing Desktop devices, you can view same on Fing mobile app.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • CraigNewmarkCraigNewmark Member Posts: 6
    First Comment Photogenic
    How does this relate to the web app, that is, app.fing.com? 
    Are the networks separate in the same way?
    Closely related: what do the "merge" and "sync customizations" funciton do?  (they seem to have no effect, but I'm probably missing it.)
    Thanks!
    AnthonyB
    admin
    Hi @CraigNewmark
    The web app is the mirror image of what Fing app and Fing desktop will identify and scan. Fing app and Fing desktop networks can merge automatically if you don't have a Fingbox. The merge feature on web app merges any networks which you want to. The Sync customization will synch the names of the same MAC address devices. If you have multiple networks with same device and you have customized one name for a device on one network then the feature will sync the same name to same device on different network as well.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Marc
  • CraigNewmarkCraigNewmark Member Posts: 6
    First Comment Photogenic
    Robin, thanks, I appreciate it, but nothing seems to happen, involving a new Fingbox, either up and running or unplugged.
    More specifically, I've named each device on my network, as discovered by the Fingbox, and listed as Home. 
    Then, I click on the same network, as discovered by the app on my phone.
    I click on sync customizations, both trying overwrite, on one try, and on another try, import if missing.
    Nothing happens.
    Please advise, and, thanks!
  • FerlautoFerlauto White Plains, NYMember Posts: 51
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    @Robin - I think this would be a very good opportunity to utilize the "Profile Extender" feature in VanillaForums.  This is assuming you have at least the "Corporate" version. There are a number of potential ways that you should already be able to determine which members of this forum are actually paying customers.  Then, when evaluating ideas you can weight the votes however the business sees fit.  In some instances, you may want to weight your existing customers more heavily and in other cases you may be trying to figure out how to convert app-only users into Fingbox users.

Two cents from the loyal peanut gallery.
    touriga
  • FerlautoFerlauto White Plains, NYMember Posts: 51
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    @AnthonyB  - Just found your post and I couldn't agree more.  A few weeks ago I posted an idea very similar to this one, but a little more all-encompassing.  Quite simply, there should be full feature parity across every version of Fing.  A user's platform of choice should be absolutely irrelevant, especially in the context of a piece of networking hardware, which by its very nature sits "lower" than any OS.
    AnthonyBlaaubintouriga