Desktop V1.3.0 not seeing any devices

Desktop v1.2.0 was fine and I can still 'See last scan', but v1.3.0 just shows an empty window in Connectivity/Scan for devices. Connectivity/Start speed test still works. What's happened?

Best Answer

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,706
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Accepted Answer
    jaydear said:
    Just incidentally... When you asked me to install on another PC I discovered that the app is for 64bit Windows only. Makes me think your devs are programming for Mac and porting to Windows. Its not unknown for Mac apps to have issues when ported to Windows.
    Yes, For windows the Fing Desktop is currently for 64 bit only as most of the O.S are running on 64 bit O.S. We are not porting the apps from MAC to windows.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!

Answers

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @jaydear welcome to the community and thanks for asking your question.

I'm curious, can you install that version on another machine in your network and try scanning from there?  What are the resuts?!
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • jaydearjaydear Member Posts: 7
    First Comment Photogenic
    Same result :'(
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited April 2020
    Uninstalled 1.3.0 and reinstalled 1.2.0 and it works properly. Now, if I can prevent Fing from forcing a non-working update on me I'll be happy :/  ... hmmmm, apparently not, OK, uninstalled and bad it a sad goodbye :'(
    kltaylor
  • FcoyFcoy Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments Photogenic
    jaydear said:
    Desktop v1.2.0 was fine and I can still 'See last scan', but v1.3.0 just shows an empty window in Connectivity/Scan for devices. Connectivity/Start speed test still works. What's happened?
    Similar issue with my Win 10 x 64 desktop.  After the update I was initially able to scan and see my devices only once.  Thereafter I get a blank screen from Connectivity > Scan for devices/See last scan.

kltaylor
    admin
    jaydear said:
    Can you try to sign out of application and then reboot the device and then open the Fing Desktop again and see if the issue persists? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    First Comment Photogenic
    It does. Did you see above that I reinstalled v1.2.0 and it works, no problem. Unfortunately it then insists on updating to the faulty v1.3.0 every time you shut it down - which I can of course cancel - but it is an annoyance and easy to overlook when in a hurry or tired. Both affected PCs are running windows 8.1, so maybe there's an issue there. I've uninstalled Fing Desktop off both PCs. Being forced to do something makes me a bit concerned about privacy and security :|
    admin
    jaydear said:
    It does. Did you see above that I reinstalled v1.2.0 and it works, no problem. Unfortunately it then insists on updating to the faulty v1.3.0 every time you shut it down - which I can of course cancel - but it is an annoyance and easy to overlook when in a hurry or tired. Both affected PCs are running windows 8.1, so maybe there's an issue there. I've uninstalled Fing Desktop off both PCs. Being forced to do something makes me a bit concerned about privacy and security :|
    Can you please share screenshot of the error or issue so I can investigate further? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    kltaylor
    First Comment Photogenic
    I've uninstalled it, but if it will actually help you - draw an orange rectangle on a blank piece of white paper and you'll have what it looks like - empty, nothing, nada, blank.
    admin
    Thanks for the feedback @jaydear
    As you stated you have uninstalled the application. In order to investigate further, I would have required log files. If you wish to continue using Fing Desktop, please help us to investigate this and I will guide you further. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    First Comment Photogenic
    Fcoy said:
    jaydear said:
    Similar issue with my Win 10 x 64 desktop.  After the update I was initially able to scan and see my devices only once.  Thereafter I get a blank screen from Connectivity > Scan for devices/See last scan.

Maybe Fcoy can assist? He's using Windows 10 and having the same issue.

First Comment Photogenic
    Just incidentally... When you asked me to install on another PC I discovered that the app is for 64bit Windows only. Makes me think your devs are programming for Mac and porting to Windows. Its not unknown for Mac apps to have issues when ported to Windows.
    10 Comments Photogenic

Thought I had sent this some days ago but it was still in draft.

See attached grab of video from Win 10 x64. The screen with detail is very briefly shown before it goes to white screen.

admin
    Fcoy said:

Thought I had sent this some days ago but it was still in draft.

See attached grab of video from Win 10 x64. The screen with detail is very briefly shown before it goes to white screen.

Are you using 1.3.1 version? Please check on your firewall or antivirus if they are blocking the Fing Desktop from connecting to its servers which may produce this result.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    10 Comments Photogenic

Version 1.3.1 and app is allowed through.

From the logs it seems to be trying to connect to localhost on various ports.

admin
    Fcoy said:

Version 1.3.1 and app is allowed through.

From the logs it seems to be trying to connect to localhost on various ports.

Thanks for the information. We are investigating for this issue and working on a fix. The fix will be soon released with latest version. Thanks again
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    kltaylor