FingBox v1 - Power Connector Broken?! - No Power

Samu
Samu Member Posts: 3
Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
edited April 12, 2020 in Fingbox #1
Dear All, just changed my router and relocated the FingBox, but something happened with power connector on the box as there is no power and connector is not hold by the device. do you experiencing the same?
looks like something in the box as when I moved the moved, I heard there is something inside .....
Thanks in advance for your kind help.
Regards, Szabolcs
Tagged:
ATSPerson

Best Answer

• kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    #2 Accepted Answer
    I'm glad that you are happy with the Fingbox, that sort-of feedback is great to read.
    I believe that there is a process for any warranty repair, however since it sounds like you own one of the first generation 'Boxes, it may be advantageous to purchase the newest one and replace the broken one.
    Let's check with @Robin and see if there is another solution for you.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    Samu

Answers

• kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    HI @Samu welcome to the community and thanks for asking your question.
    Were you able to identify the loose part that you found in the box?  Have you tried using a different USB cable?  Connect the USB directly a computer USB?
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • Samu
    Hello @kltaylor, thanks for your answer, just checked my FingBox more precisely and experienced that the power USB plug is broken as the middle part is missing, I didn't open the box as I don't have special screwdriver and would wait for some feedback from FingBox support regarding possible solution(s). My FingBox has been purchased under campaign on https://www.indiegogo.com/ to support development of the product in 2016, till this time I used the product with high satisfaction and I was so happy to be part of journey to be an excellent service on the market, therefore any help to solve this issue would be highly appreciated.
    Best regards, Szabolcs 
    kltaylor
  • Samu
    Dear @kltaylor, thanks for your prompt respond, appreciated.
    Dear @Robin, can you help me on the issue that I experienced with my 1st Gen FingBox? how can I fix that? to be honest just checked the actual price of the new gen of the FingBox and I cannot pay that much in this time. look forward to hearing from you.
    Regards, Szabolcs
    kltaylor
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,882
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Samu
    I have sent you a private message. please reply to my message if you have any further questions. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Erik
    Erik Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    I have the same issue... Changed ISP and reorganized the network setup, with that I disconnected my FingBox v1 and when I tried to reconnect it again it did not get it's power... Adapter works, cable works, different (and working) adapter+cable not working on FingBox. So it seems I have a broken power connector on my V1 to :-(
    Is there any way to get around this ? It's probably very hard to open the box to fix this...
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @Erik
    If the power connector is broken then it needs to be re-attached to the circuit board. In order to address your query, can you please perform the steps mentioned below and see if anything changes.(Ignore any steps already performed.)

Check List:

1. Try an alternative ethernet cable (CAT 6) - to identify if the issue may be with the ethernet cable (to note: if you have a CAT 7 this should also work, however, CAT 7 cables can be expensive so please do not purchase one solely for this purpose)

2. Try an alternative 5V power core cable - to identify if the issue may be with the power cable

3. Power source: Is the Fingbox plugged into a power strip/extender or directly in the wall? Some users have reported issues whereby the power extenders was causing issues supplying enough power for the Fingbox (perhaps an issue with the power extender). Please plug the power cable directly into the wall to test.

4. Is the Fingbox connected directly to the router? If it is not connected to the router where is it connected?

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Erik
    Erik Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    Goodmorning @Robin
    The checklist is all tested or not applicable...
    It's the power connector in the fingbox... I will try to open the box and get it reconnected.
    --> If there is something like a rebate to trade a ( broken ) v1 for a v2, please let me know...
    I really like the FingBox but just to buy a new one for this is a bit to much :-)
    Thanks for your responce.

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @Erik
    As such now, there is no discount or trade being offered to upgrade to new-look Fingbox. As we have stopped selling Fingbox from Shopify and Fingbox can only be purchased from Newegg or Amazon, so it is not feasible to provide a discount. I would advise you to wait for Christmas as we release some deals during that time and open this box to get it repaired manually so something will work in meantime. thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • ATSPerson
    ATSPerson Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    Same thing has happened to my v1 Fingbox. I am distraught! I don't have £99 for a replacement.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    ATSPerson said:
    Same thing has happened to my v1 Fingbox. I am distraught! I don't have £99 for a replacement.
    If the Fingbox is out of warranty then I would advise taking Fingbox to any electrical shop and get it repaired. Unfortunately, we don't offer any repair manual at the moment.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    ATSPerson
  • ATSPerson
    ATSPerson Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    Robin said:
    ATSPerson said:
    If the Fingbox is out of warranty then I would advise taking Fingbox to any electrical shop and get it repaired. Unfortunately, we don't offer any repair manual at the moment.
    I didn't need an electrical shop. I bought a torx driver set for £10, opened it up and superglued it back onto the board.  (Anyone trying this themselves: superglue isn't conductive so it's important not to get glue on the connectors). 

Short term though. I will save up for a v2 or whatever the latest one out when I've saved.
    Robin_from_Fing