Critical VMware Bug Opens Up Corporate Treasure to Hackers

kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
✭✭✭✭✭✭
This PSA is more for the corporate environment and their IT teams to handle, however with the majority of folks living their lives in isolation and working from home, this would be a great topic to bring up a conversation to them to ensure that they are aware of the issue:

The bug — rated 10 in severity — potentially affects large numbers of corporate VMs and hosts.

A critical information-disclosure bug in VMware’s Directory Service (vmdir) could lay bare the contents of entire corporate virtual infrastructures, if exploited by cyberattackers.

The vmdir is part of VMware’s vCenter Server product, which provides centralized management of virtualized hosts and virtual machines (VMs) from a single console. According to the product description, “a single administrator can manage hundreds of workloads.”

These workloads are governed by a single sign-on (SSO) mechanism to make things easier for administrators; rather than having to sign into each host or VM with separate credentials in order to gain visibility to it, one authentication mechanism works across the entire management console.

To continue reading this article please click on the Source link above.

"There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
-Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
Ciaran

Comments

• 1000ouz1000ouz Member Posts: 2
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    Well, if your network is properly designed, not all users have access to vCenter, it lives in its own vlan.
    You are probably talking about internal hacker part of the IT department of the company then in this case, you probably did not hire the right people ;o). So not as urgent as you want to make it looks like, even though closing doors is a good cleaning process that need to be done fore sure regularly, like washing your hands nowadays.
    kltaylor
  • RWildRWild Member Posts: 52
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect I am far for the only person here running the “free” version of ESXi in homelabs.  The licenses for these products allow use of vSphere clients but not vCenter itself.  It would appear that at least this small group would be unelected.  Please correct me if I am wrong.
    1000ouzkltaylor