Version 1.3.0 Device Summary View on Mac blank screen

James734James734 Member Posts: 24
10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
edited May 2020 in Fing Desktop
Just installed version 1.3.0 that was alerted on my Mac. Decided to try out the Summary View on device connectivity. Once clicked the screen results in just a blank screen with now way to get back to a list view. If I quite the app and reload it I can get the initial home screen but as soon as I click connectivity again it results in the same blank screen. Now stuck and cannot see devices.

Answers

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @James734, welcome to the community and thanks for asking your question.
    Have you tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling the desktop app?
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • James734James734 Member Posts: 24
    @kltaylor, Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, uninstalled rebooted, installed 1.3.0 again and same thing.
    Seeing this on the Developer Tools section. Not sure if relevant.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Any of that information would be relevant.  I'm going to tag @Robin in this thread since he's a Fing Admin to show him this information and receive some guidance from him on it.
    Wondering if my issues is part of this issue here. https://community.fing.com/discussion/3530/blank-window-on-fing-desktop#latest
    Maybe I thought I was in Overview view. I went into Connectivity/Last Scan and was presented with my devices. I then went to view bar (Upper Right row of icons where you change the view details). I clicked the far right icon. Looking at the 1.2.0 release notes I think it’s called the insights view. I thought that was the new Overview button. Kind of hard to confirm exactly with button was selected as I cannot get back into the screen.
    Ok. Got it working again by will in Developer Tools mode and full screen in the app it started working again. Tried the same thing I did last time and can confirm it’s not Overview mode/feature. The sceen goes completely blank/white after selecting summary view. Will change the topic but believe my issues is related to one listed above in the link.
    Well cannot get it working again no matter what I do. Not sure how I got it working again the first time but it must have been a fluke. Just spent the last 30 mins hacking around in developer mode looking at the scripts. Struggling trying to determine where it’s storing static data like prior view states etc. I think if I could clear it I could probable get it to work again.  Just seems that there is something wrong creating the dynamic summary view. Anyone know how to clear view states etc?
    Just changed the title to reflect based upon further testing.
    Mines working again after doing nothing. Some how though my view changed back to “standard” view. Afraid to try and select “summary” view only to have it be a blank sceen again.
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,706
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @James734
    I am glad it is working now but Initially, please ensure that you are on the mosy up to date version of Fing Desktop 1.3.0 (as we have included some bug fixes & updates on this release).

In order to address your query, if the issue persists then first I would like to confirm that you are:

• Installing the Fing Desktop under the 'Applications' folder only. If not, Fing Desktop won't be able to connect to its services. If it is not, it will appear as 'Unidentified' or ‘Undefined.
    • In this case, the service might have been disabled and cannot launch until the service is re-enabled. This is likely the result of the service having been unloaded using 'launchctl' in conjunction with the -w switch. This will disable the service. This condition can remain, even if the software is uninstalled and reinstalled.

To resolve:

Re-enable the disabled service using the following commands:

• sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.fing.service.plist

I hope this helps, however, if you have any follow up questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    kltaylor
    @Robin thanks for the suggestions. For me this all started after I upgraded to 1.3.0. Or at least that’s where is experienced the issue. What I don’t recall is ever trying to use the summary view before in prior versions . So is it a version issue of view issue, I’m not sure. I was only trying to find the Overview view as noted in the release notes. The application has been always installed in the “applications” folder. And I’ve never forced the unload of the daemon. 
    Robinkltaylor
    admin
    Thanks for feedback. If the issue happens again, it will be useful if you could record a video and DM it to me for investigation. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    kltaylor
    edited April 2020
    @Robin Just upgraded to 1.3.1 and tried selecting the Summary view and was able to reproduce the issue. OS X 10.15.4. Captured issued in video and will send. The video is from after I selected Summary. As mentioned above at some point the view state information is lost and I can then view everything in a List view. Until then though the video is all I can do. Will DM it to you here shortly.
    kltaylor
    admin
    Hi @James734
    Our engineers are able to catch the reason for Blank white screen. It is due to device discovery being failed . We are working a fix and it will be released with future version.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    kltaylorJames734
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    THIS is why I love this community!
  • Ian_LIan_L Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment
    Just installed latest version of Fing (v1.3.2) on my iPhone and Mac (v10.15.4) yesterday and all was working fine until I clicked 'Summary View' on my Mac. Now I'm experiencing the dreaded blank white screen (wish I had seen these comments before I did that). Tried reinstalling the app and rebooting the Mac but can't get rid of the issue. Whilst the app looks very good it is rendered useless by this problem. Hoping it can be fixed soon.

It should clear after a while, day or so is what I experienced. Then it will go back to a list view.

CiaranIan_L
  • dunxddunxd Member Posts: 4
    First Comment
    edited May 2020
    If I run a new Scan for devices from the Connectivity screen, I get the list of devices.  However, if I click See last scan or click back from the details screen for a device after editing it (e.g. set its placement) I get the blank screen, and the edit hasn't saved. 
    I need to run a new scan each time I want to view the devices, and I don't seem to be able to edit the details for a device.
    I'm running Fing 1.3.2 on macos Mojave 10.14.6.
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 1,092
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thank you. A new version of Fing Desktop is currently being rolled out, Version 1.4.0. This should resolve this issue for you. If it persists, or if you have another query, please set up a new discussion in relation to the particular query and we will review from there. Thanks again
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Just downloaded 1.4.0 for Mac. App started and was able to scan network and obtain a list of devices. Clicked the summary view and the app screen this time goes completely blank. No menu bar on the left now like I had prior. Looks like 1.4.0 hasn't resolved this issue at least for me. Still notice the same error message noted above in the developer view. 
    admin
    Thanks @James734
    We are investigating this if this can be reproduced by us and if it is bug. I will update you once I find out the cause. Thanks again.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    kltaylor
    edited May 2020
    Ok. If you would like to take a look at it in real-time more then willing to setup a Webex with someone to take a look. Or provide some details on increasing logging levels and I'll provide what I can. 
    kltaylor
    admin
    Thanks @James734
    I will let you know if I need further information. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • dunxddunxd Member Posts: 4
    First Comment
    For what it is worth, for me 1.4.0 no longer has the problem where editing an entry results in the empty view of the list of clients.  All seems to be working fine now.
    Robin
    edited May 2020
    I've been playing around with this some more in the developer view. The issue is in the processing of the device array in the DiscoveryDevicesPage.js. If I put a break in it and step over the objects in the array I can see it dump out just not sure the reason. Not sure if there is corruption in the source data or ?????. It's almost like there is a null in the array which isn't being handled properly. 
    Row 837 Function Call:
     renderNetworkOverview(network, nodes, canEdit) {        
            let OverviewRows = {
                "New": {},
                "Personal": {},
                "DigitalMedia": {},
                "Gaming": {},
                "SmartHome": {},
                "Protection": {},
                "Business": {},
                "IT": {},
                "Networking": {},
                "Other": {},
            };
            const recentNetwork = network.firstDiscoveryTime && isWithinDays(network.firstDiscoveryTime, 1);
            for (let i = 0; i < nodes.length; ++i) {
                const node = nodes[i];
                if (node.best_type) {
                    const prof = getDeviceTypeProfile(node.best_type);
                    let row = OverviewRows[prof];
                    if (!row[node.best_type]) row[node.best_type]=[0,0,0,[]];
                    row[node.best_type][2]=row[node.best_type][2]+1;
                    if (node.state === 'UP') {
                        row[node.best_type][0]=row[node.best_type][0]+1;
                        row[node.best_type][1]=row[node.best_type][1]+1;
                        if (row[node.best_type][3].length<10) row[node.best_type][3].push(node);
                    } else if (isWithinDays(node.statechangetime, 30)) row[node.best_type][1]=row[node.best_type][1]+1;
                } else {
                    let other = OverviewRows["Other"];
                    if (!other["GENERIC"]) other["GENERIC"]=[0,0,0,[]];
                    other["GENERIC"][2]=other["GENERIC"][2]+1;
                    if (node.state === 'UP') {
                        other["GENERIC"][0]=other["GENERIC"][0]+1;
                        other["GENERIC"][1]=other["GENERIC"][1]+1;
                        if (other["GENERIC"][3].length<10) other["GENERIC"][3].push(node);
                    } else if (isWithinDays(node.statechangetime, 30)) other["GENERIC"][1]=other["GENERIC"][1]+1;
                }
    edited May 2020
    @Robin I figured this out. I believe this is due to a device type set as CAR. I have a couple videos showing the debug windows where it's failing to process the device type of CAR. Went into my Fing.com account and change the device type to Generic waited a few minutes and tried it again. After the change the view displayed and the issue appears to be resolved now. The attached image is the device that was causing the issue. As you can see I changed it to a Generic device type. I'll DM you links to the video's so you can provide to the DE's.  
    edited May 2020
    Confirmed 100% this is the problem. Changed the device back to type of "CAR" resulted in blank screen. Went into my online account and changed it back to "Generic". Summary View works fine. 
    RobinIpMan
  • FingUserINjerseyFingUserINjersey Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    I'm running Version 1.4.1 (1.4.1) for MacOS and I too have the blank screen issue when I scan the network.   It has been reported that this was fixed in 1.4 in other threads, but no joy for me.

Any update *bump* on the blank screen upon scan issue?

• IpManIpMan Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    James734 said:
    Confirmed 100% this is the problem. Changed the device back to type of "CAR" resulted in blank screen. Went into my online account and changed it back to "Generic". Summary View works fine. 
    This was it.  Thanks, James!
    James734
  • KevinBKevinB Member Posts: 8
    Name Dropper First Comment
    I'm running 1.4.1 Desktop on Windows 10 and I stupidly clicked on 'summary' in the scan view and I now have the blank screen.  Read through posts and saw this about a device set as CAR and I did have one, changed it, everything still the same on the desktop app.  Very frustrating

Very frustrated, Fing has been working great all along, then in 2 days two issues the other in the Android App, off to report that problem now

Any help appreciated