Minecraft (Bedrock) server & Apple AirPort Extreme

FabianFabian Member, Beta Tester Posts: 39
10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
OK, I'm stumped and maybe I'm just not seeing it.  We're trying to setup a Minecraft server, Bedrock (the non-Java version) on our home network for use by our church's youth group during the shelter-in-place order, here in Santa Clara County, CA.  I went into the AirPort Utility (6.3.9) app to setup the Port Forwarding as usual.  Both UDP and TCP ports set to 19132 for both the Public and Private ports.   After restarting my AirPort Extreme 802.11ac, using an web-based port check tool and the Fing app's (9.0.0) Vulnerability Test, it shows that there are no open ports.  

I even tried seeing if there was difference just using the UDP ports only and/or using x.x.x.029 vs. x.x.x.29 for the Minecraft server's IP address, but nada.

What am I missing...?  I was wondering if my Fing Box (1.14.16) might be blocking the ports...?

Answers

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,191
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Fabian, thanks for asking your question.

Off-the-cuff I would say that Fingbox would not block the port for use, all it will do is monitor and report, not necessarily take an action in this example.

I know that when I setup a Minecraft server for the kids in our family to connect to, I had the same issue that you're experiencing.  I ended up spinning up a VM and found a MC server ISO that worked pretty well. 

Can you access the server locally?  I'd try that first and determine if the server is actually running on the LAN, first.  I don't have much knowledge with Apple products, but it's a network thing so I'm trying to see if I can help you in any way.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • FabianFabian Member, Beta Tester Posts: 39
    edited April 10
    @kltaylor, thanks for the response, it's appreciated.  Yes, it's local (garage), it's running on a Windows PC, and it's definitely seen and accessible on my home network.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    So we know at least, that it's operational and can be accessed internally.  When I setup my server at first, I couldn't do that at all.
    I would double-check to ensure that the version of server that you're running only has the one port that needs to be open, on mine it was 655** or something similar.
    Does the Apple Airport device have the ability to designate a DMZ?  It's not my first recommendation to use but it would at least allow that one device to be on the other side of the firewall and should be able to receive connections.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    What about making a port exemption in Windows firewall, or completely disabling it for testing?
    @kltaylor, Yes, we added the exemptions for both UDP and TCP in the Windows Firewall, but it's still shows them as closed when I check those ports.
    UPDATE...  Okay, by the voodoo magic that's out there, found it on Reddit, I reverted back to using the "old" Java based port(s), 25565, and that seems to be working.  Though the weird thing is I still can't see port 25565 is open.  But, we've had a couple of friends login and play Minecraft from our server.

@kltaylor, thanks again for your replies!