Home Network detected as NEW network, all custom names lost

AlekseyAleksey Member Posts: 5
Photogenic First Comment
After I installed Fing Desktop, I went through the list of devices and gave them friendly names. Today, when I logged on to my PC, Fing Desktop told me it identified a new network and wanted me to choose the type of network it is (Home, Office, etc.). When I looked at the device list, all of the custom names were gone. Note that it is in fact the SAME network. Can someone help me with this? Why were my custom device names lost? Why would I go through the trouble of making these changes if they get lost so easily and so soon?

Answers

• DocZZZDocZZZ South FloridaMember, Beta Tester Posts: 23
    10 Comments First Anniversary First Answer Photogenic
    Might be a good suggestion for a future update - allow saving and restoring the customizations done to the devices.
    Diverking
  • DiverkingDiverking Heerhugowaard, The NetherlandsMember Posts: 36
    10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper
    Hi. I re-installed my apps on PC, Android and IOS. I had the same experience of having even four networks each with their own list. If you open the list of networks you can tap on it and delete it. Luckely I now have only one network on all my apps and the list is updated and  on every device with the same network name with corresponding list. I updated most of my devices with extra info and this looks OK on every device. This is what I expect. For your info: I'm running FingAPP 1.3.0 and latest releases on iOS and Android.
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,706
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Aleksey
    Thanks for your post. can you confirm if you were connected to same access point as before because if you scanned 5ghz network and assigned names and now you scanned 2.4ghz network then the saved names might get lost.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • AlekseyAleksey Member Posts: 5
    Photogenic First Comment
    Hi Robin, yes, I can confirm that the network has not changed. Same 5 GHz wi-fi network.
    admin
    Aleksey said:
    Hi Robin, yes, I can confirm that the network has not changed. Same 5 GHz wi-fi network.
    Are you using an Android device or Apple device for Fing App?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Photogenic First Comment
    Robin said:
    Aleksey said:
    Are you using an Android device or Apple device for Fing App?
    I am using the Fing desktop app on Windows 10.
    admin
    Are you using any Fing app on any mobile device as well @Aleksey? Also, Can you please change any of the one device name and then reboot the device and open the Fing Desktop again to see if the name is present or not?

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Photogenic First Comment
    I have the Fing app installed on my iPhone, but I don't recall using it between renaming the devices on the Desktop app and loosing those names. I will proceed with the following, per your recommendation: 1) change one of my devices' name, 2) rebooting that device, and 3) opening the Fing Desktop to check if the name is present. I will report my findings here soon.
    Photogenic First Comment
    I renamed a few devices, restarted some of them, rebooted the modem and the router, restarted the app (both windows and iPhone), and see the custom names persisted. Things look fine thus far. I will keep monitoring it to see if/when the next "reset" takes place and anything identifiable that can help in detecting the issue.
    Robin
  • ZageboZagebo Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment
    I thought I was having a similar issue - then I looked again at the Fing Desktop app (Win 10).
    Rather than click "scan for devices", I click "Last Scan" and then "Refresh" - this seems to work for me.
    Feedback for Fing-people - make it easier for people to follow that journey in all the app's?
    e.g. highlight the "last scan" button rather than "scan for devices"
    Hope it helps...