Who does the Fing app registers 3 networks on iOS and 2 on Android

Diverking
Diverking Heerhugowaard, The NetherlandsMember Posts: 52
10 Comments First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
On iOS I see 3 networks and on Android I see 2 network registered
1. Camelot at 192.168.1.0/24 (Wifi access to router via 2.4 Ghz)
2. Camelot at 192.168.1.0/24 (Wifi access to router via 2.4 Ghz)
3 Camelot5G at 192.168.1.0/24 (wifi acces to router via 5.0 Ghz)
It's all the same network only access method differs. Depends on the device and Wifi which band my devices chooces. It should not make any diference.

Best Answer

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,882
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    #2 Accepted Answer
    Diverking said:
    I don't have a Fing box  only using Fing Desktop, Fing Android and Fing IOS. And again I see different networks under my account. Every device creates has own network (I am logged in on every device with my account). This is NOT what I want. I want only one network (physically it is the same network only the way of connecting differs) that I can maintain with different devices (laptop, workstation, mobile etc) . Agian I don't want to edit/maintain all the networks seperatly. Can somebody please explain why this is not possible? 
    Your fing desktop network and Fing android network can be merged but with ios, as it does not allow to read MAC address, Fing app is not able to identify if it is the same device or different and hence creating the new network. Also, please check this article: https://www.fing.com/news/private-mac-address-on-ios-14
    Also, Can you open the web app: https://app.fing.com/ and on the top left corners you will find an option to merge network, can you try to merge them together?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!

Answers

• 338x
    338x Member Posts: 4
    Photogenic First Comment
    Your wifi network is broadcasting 2 separate networks, one on the 2.4 GHz frequency and another on 5GHz. That is common. Such broadcasting will account for 2 of your networks. I have seen the same network appear on my list of networks in Fing multiple times like this. I have a fairly complicated network though with a large number of access points, attached devices and clients that have the Fing app configured on them. In fact i had to delete over 10 networks that had the same name tonight that were the same name. Many of them, according to Fing, had not been accessed by my devices in months or years. It could be a bug in Fing or expected behavior. I would not be overly concerned. Maybe someone from Fing will opine.

Diverking
  • Diverking
    edited April 8, 2020 #4
    Hi 338, 
    I think you do not clearly understand the difference between a network and a frequency. Yes it's broadcating on 2 freqencys but on http level it's one network so I disaggree with you. Besides that there is a third entry. Is that a third network in your opinion? I also disagree on that. I like to see one network regardlis which band is used. Now for each network a different list of devices is kept and I want only one list. Hope you (and Fing) understand my point of view.
  • Diverking
    edited April 11, 2020 #5
    Update: on re-install (complete removed app+data) on my iPad I now have 4 Camelot Networks. I deleted these extra networks but I am curious when they appear again. So, Fing can you tell me how the implementation an registration of networks is done? I still have one and only one network at home :-). 
  • Diverking
    Update: For some reason I have only one network now on all my devices :-) yeaah.... I'm curious how this happened. For now I leave it as it is.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @Diverking
    Can you check with all networks if they have MAC Addresses listed? With apple devices, this is a current limitation that whenever you will scan there will be multiple networks, one with all mac addresses from previous scans and one new network without mac addresses.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Diverking
    edited April 19, 2020 #8
    Hi Robin, As already mentioned I re-installed the apps on my Andriod S8 and Ipad. After that I had only one network With IP adres and MAC on the gateway. This is correct in my opinion. If Fing is discovering both 2,4 and 5 Ghz Wireless and  assign this as network that is not correct in my opnion.  I just discovered that my iPad found again a second network on 2,4 Ghz with a different MAC then my first network on Wired connection (piks up the MAC from the wired gateway). So I still address my point I have ONE and only ONE network! and you should not discover it on the different mac adresses of the wired and wireless (MAC ending 0A, 0B, 0C). I removed the extra networks again!
  • Diverking
    And again I have 4 different networks , one on each of my devices, one Android S8 mobile, one on my iPad, one on my Workstation and last one on my laptop. Why can't I see the same network on every device regarding it is a fixed cable connection or WiFI (2,4 or 5).  SSID names differ on every device but BSSID is the same. However when I edit the notes I see a unique description on everey device. 
    I expect one network in my home, regardless which device I use. Can somebody explain?

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @Diverking
    Are you using Fing desktop app as well? I would like to tell you that if you have Fingbox and then you install Fing desktop then, first of all, you will see multiple networks under your account. Only those networks will merge from Fing mobile app and Fing desktop which are without Fingbox.  

Also, if you are in the mobile app and then you open Fing Desktop network then names, customization will merge but not with the Fingbox network. And if you have iOS 11+ without mac address and if you run a scan from there, you will see another network w/o any mac address. If you open the network pushed by Fing desktop, you will see it but will not be able to refresh from mobile.  

Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Diverking
    edited February 4, 2021 #11
    I don't have a Fing box  only using Fing Desktop, Fing Android and Fing IOS. And again I see different networks under my account. Every device creates has own network (I am logged in on every device with my account). This is NOT what I want. I want only one network (physically it is the same network only the way of connecting differs) that I can maintain with different devices (laptop, workstation, mobile etc) . Agian I don't want to edit/maintain all the networks seperatly. Can somebody please explain why this is not possible? 
  • Diverking
    Tnx Robin for the quick reply. So, randomised MAC Adresses on IOS prevents Fing from recognizing a device. I agree but the that does not apply to the network as this MAC adres can be derived from your Router/switch so it can see that SSID, MAC, IP etc. did not change. So network is the same only the device recognistion (only IOS devices) should be different. So I don't see a reason to create a different network in my account for each device I use with Fing. Maybe I miss the point... Tnx for the tip about disableing the private address. I hope this will make recognition of IOS devices better.
  • Diverking
    Hmm checking my networklist show that my Dell R720xd where not recognized anymore. Info is back to default Dell. These are Windows 2019 servers with fixed IP (only with NIC teaming and this can use a MAC pool as well). If MAC is the only recognition method this will also fail. Should it not be a little bit more sofisticated?

My biggest point is that I am tyred every time changing/fixing the network information. I start my Dell servers with WOL (don't have to climb to the attack of my garage). This is the functionality i love and should work flowless.
  • Diverking
    edited February 6, 2021 #14
    Robin said:

Also, Can you open the web app: https://app.fing.com/ and on the top left corners you will find an option to merge network, can you try to merge them together?
    The merge button is on the top on the right (third button) but says that non of my networks can be merged :-(
  • Diverking
    edited February 8, 2021 #15
    Hi Robin
    Still a question about the random MAC adresses that IOS generates ( I have 3 iPads and 2 iPhones in my network). Although I set my TTL in my Router to one week the Apple devices keep on changing their MAC adresses.
    How can I keep the iPhones MAC address as stable as possible? When the leave the network the always get an new MAC and also a new IP address and are recognized as a new device. (then I have to edit all the stuff like Name, OS, etc) 
    Is it possible that device recognition also can be done only on Hostname (they are pretty stable)?

Edit: I found the toggle in the iPhone (mentioned in the article abot private Mac adresses). Let's see how this works .....