Permission Message on Mac Desktop App

daved2424daved2424 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 14
10 Comments Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Agrees
Hello
I keep getting the following message on start-up every time I boot my Mac. It is getting really annoying. How can I get Fing Desktop to to keep asking me this?
Fing needs privileged access to install its networking components and links to the Fing app.
You will be asked for your password
Many thanks

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,706
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @daved2424
    Can you please uninstall the Fing Desktop and then please follow these steps:
    • Install the Fing Desktop under the 'Applications' folder only. If not, Fing Desktop won't be able to connect to its services. If it is not, it will appear as 'Unidentified' or ‘Undefined.
    • In this case, the service might have been disabled and cannot launch until the service is re-enabled. This is likely the result of the service having been unloaded using 'launchctl' in conjunction with the -w switch. This will disable the service. This condition can remain, even if the software is uninstalled and reinstalled.

To resolve:

Re-enable the disabled service using the following commands:

• sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.fing.service.plist

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • daved2424daved2424 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 14
    Hi Robin
    Tried all that bit it didn't resolved.
    Does anyone have any other ideas?
    I have just updated to 1.3 and when trying to close the app I now get the following error message:

It really doesn't feel like this app is out of beta yet and should not be advertised as such.
    admin
    daved2424 said:
    Does anyone have any other ideas?
    I have just updated to 1.3 and when trying to close the app I now get the following error message:

It really doesn't feel like this app is out of beta yet and should not be advertised as such.
    Can you try to reboot the device and then check if it happens again? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Nope, still the same problem.
    I've uninstalled it. It is driving me nuts. I'll come back to it if you can ever get it working properly or are willing to engage with me to try and fix the problem.
    admin
    Hi @daved2424
    I have sent you a private message so I can gather further information and investigate further on this information. Please reply to my message directly. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • JedJed Member Posts: 5
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Founder
    ✭✭
    Hi, weird and wonderful issue.  Anyone else with a Mac having an odd request to provide access to Fing desktop in the latest release?  Wouldn't have known it was Fing if I hadn't received a warning that Fing would ask for permissions and then this....
    Anyone else seen this?  
    TIA,
    Jed 
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Jed thanks for asking your question.
    That does seem to be a bit vague, doesn't it?  Let's advise @Robin on this so that he can send it to the developers to add more details to the user permission request dialog.  Thanks for catching that!
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    admin
    Thanks @kltaylor @Jed
    With the installation of Fing Desktop, the application always require the Admin privileges to install it. It has been there since the first release. We have not changed anything on that part. Please make sure you are installing Fing Desktop under Applications folder only otherwise some features may not work.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Robin, I think the issue is more that the UAC Dialog Box doesn't say that entering the credentials is specifically for Fing Desktop.  With the screenshot shown above, UAC (sorry I'm a Windows guy) comes up but doesn't identify itself to Fing Desktop which could be really confusing for Mac users.
    Jed
    ✭✭
    Thank you Robin. It wasn’t the admin access request, I was expecting that, but rather when you look at the request, Fing is nowhere mentioned in the dialogue box.  That was my concern.
    Robin
    ✭✭
    Thanks @kltaylor. We posted at same time with the same thought. :)
    kltaylor
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You know what they say about great minds ... =)
  • tony1tftony1tf Member Posts: 12
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    I have a similar problem in that almost every day Fing is asking for my password on my MacBook. How do I tell it just once instead for each new version which seems to happen nearly every day or so.

Tony
    I have just posted in another thread, but this thread is exactly what is happening on my MacBook every time I boot up. It's so annoying!
    I'll try and follow the above fix and see if it works.
    Tony

My Fing app is already in the applications folder, and I haven't uninstalled it (there is no such command on a Mac), but I tried the command line from above and got the following message:

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.fing.service.plist: service already loaded

Next boot, I will see if it has made any difference.

Tony

admin
    tony1tf said:
    I have a similar problem in that almost every day Fing is asking for my password on my MacBook. How do I tell it just once instead for each new version which seems to happen nearly every day or so.

Have you installed the Fing Desktop under Applications folder and under the Admin account? 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Robin said:
    Have you installed the Fing Desktop under Applications folder and under the Admin account? 
    Yes, I had. I am now pursuing this on another thread here:
    https://community.fing.com/discussion/3893/permission-message-on-mac-desktop-app#latest

Tony

I tried a reboot, and it does look like it is behaving better now. However, I'll have to wait for another of the regular updates to see if that is really true.
    Tony

Robin
  • javacjavac Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    edited December 2020
    I have the same problem on my MacBook Pro. On startup the Fing app icon bounces at the bottom of the desktop. Clicking on it brings up the following Fing message, "Fing needs privileged access to install its networking components and links to the Fing app.
    You will be asked for your password." The only option is to click "OK." After clicking OK the password window comes up. What I have noticed though is you do not need to type in your password, you can just click "Cancel" and the Fing desktop app opens normally and goes through its checks. It is still annoying, however. It seems this is an unnecessary flag the app is asking for and should be fixable.
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Fing Desktop app three or four times. The app is installed in the "Applications" folder. I have searched for and trashed anything with "Fing" I can find on my MacBook before reinstalling the Fing Desktop app and the startup message keeps coming up. Are the folks at Fing working on a fix to this?
    admin
    Hi @javac
    Are you using any Antivirus or Firewall on your mac device?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • guruunoguruuno Member, Beta Tester Posts: 5
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    RE: "Are you using any Antivirus or Firewall on your mac device?"
    Yes, I am, Malwarebytes, and I continue to get the exact same issue/problem as described here.....fix???
    First Comment
    The device is a MacBook Pro running Mac OS 11.1. System Preferences, Security & Privacy, Firewall setting is On.  I am not running any third party antivirus software.
    admin
    javac said:
    The device is a MacBook Pro running Mac OS 11.1. System Preferences, Security & Privacy, Firewall setting is On.  I am not running any third party antivirus software.
    Can you check under safe mode if the same thing appears? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    admin
    guruuno said:
    RE: "Are you using any Antivirus or Firewall on your mac device?"
    Yes, I am, Malwarebytes, and I continue to get the exact same issue/problem as described here.....fix???
    Can you check under safe mode if the same thing appears? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Come on.  Really?
    Another 'example' of poorly designed software (yet you keep hammering people to 'buy' a higher level?????)
    Internet service goes out, for whatever reason, CRASH, FING stops working.
    Service gets disabled.
    First Comment
    I cannot check the Fing Desktop program in "Safe" mode because I no longer have the desktop app on my MacBook Pro. Frankly, I got tired of messing with it. I had hoped someone at Fing was working this issue and had a resolution. I used the desktop app successfully for months on an old iMac I had, but this has always been an issue on my MacBook Pro. I no longer have the iMac and have decided to manage my Fingbox from my iPad. Just to let someone at Fing know, I seriously considered upgrading to a premium account during last month's promotion. Fing's inability to resolve this long standing issue kept me from doing so.
    There ya' go, anybody listening?
    admin
    Hi @guruuno
    I apologise for the inconvenience. We are listening to every requests. the reason I asked you to try in safe mode, as we have found out that in some case, the antivirus, firewall is blocking Fing desktop from performing and as a result it is disabling service. Also, as you mentioned, if the internet goes out then Fing desktop will not be able to connect to its servers then also, the service can get disabled but if the internet comes back, you can reboot Fing desktop and it should work.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)