Fing as a DHCP / DNS Server?

Burratha
Burratha Member, Beta Tester Posts: 12
10 Comments First Answer 5 Likes Photogenic
✭✭
Hi

I seem to remember once reading that the FING box could be used as a DHCP / DNS server for your network - to be honest, it was one of the reasons I actually bought mine... however, when I finally got my hands on the unit, I found that this was only initially pitched at the business/corporate market and even then, may not have actually been implemented.

So... are there any thoughts about finally including this as a service ion your network? I currently run an old ASUS RT-N66U router flashed with Tomato firmware, which acts as a DHCP server on my LAN (I like to avoid BT's DNS wherever possible)

Finally, it's nice to be a member of a new community.
VioletChepilbenhelpsBurrathaJWJ
3 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome and great to have you here @Burratha
    Some other users have requested similar features in this thread. You can have a look: https://community.fing.com/discussion/96/ideas-for-fingbox-future-releases 
    Right now, we don't have any immediate plans for this given the DNS market is very developed at this point. You can always request new features here: https://community.fing.com/categories/fingbox-feature-requests
    I can move this thread over to feature requests for you @Burratha

Community Manager at Fing

• Burratha
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that, @VioletChepil... I think this would be extremely useful, particularly users of certain ISP's where they force you to use their own DNS, as well as the built-in DHCP server of their bundled kit; the SmartHub 6 (BT) is pretty dire when it comes to DHCP address reservation - and there's also no way to choose a non-BT DNS option, without setting it manually on each client on the network.
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok I'll move this one over to the feature requests area for you! Thanks again for the request. We have a roadmap here of things coming next at Fing, but we can always keep new requests in mind for future evolution. 
    Out of curiosity, is this a feature you'd be willing to pay for?
    Not saying it would be paid, but wanting to know if this would have enough value as an add-on/upsell for you? 

• Burratha
    ✭✭

I have a decent setup now, so don’t know if it’s something I’d be happy to pay for - not the dhcp side of things anyway. I would have thought it could be coded into the box - as a lot of routers do this as standard. If you were to offer enhanced dns, then I suppose you could argue that it’s worth being a paid service. But again, that choice would be down to the individual.

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Turning this one into an ideas thread. Upvote if you are interested!