Why the blinking orange lights on my fling box.

melbursteinmelburstein Member Posts: 15
10 Comments Photogenic
I can’t seem to get back to the solid blue.
mortenlund

Best Answer

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,785
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Accepted Answer
    I am still struggling with the blinking orange ring on my Fingbox (in the past it was solid blue),  Because I am always adding IoT devices, the proposed solution to increase the Network Size seems like a good idea.  But I tried to follow the instructions from my Macbook Pro and can't even do the first step of looking in the top right-hand corner for an Abviar.  I don't see any.
    Can you please follow these light guide with troubleshooting for orange led: https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/led-light-guide/ and see if anything changes.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!

Answers

• eezytigereezytiger Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic First Comment

I also have permanent flashing orange after I had to reset and reconfigure my router. The reset hole is an empty void with nothing behind it. I've deactivated the Fingbox and deleted my network from Thing and I'm still stuck on orange. It looks like this thing is dead.

Hopefully Fing support can provide a solution.

Photogenic First Comment

Fing, not Thing.

• melbursteinmelburstein Member Posts: 15
    10 Comments Photogenic
    loo looking forward to hearing from Fing Support.
    Photogenic First Comment
    My problem is resolved. I have an Asus router and discovered that the router app on my phone would not connect, despite the internet working fine. I figured a reboot might be best and shortly after that the Fingbox was flashing green, ready to set up. I added the box from my Fing App and, although I need to reconfigure from scratch, it's back up and running.
    Ciaran
    admin

As we have investigated the reason for Fingbox going Offline, there are two reasons:  

1) Internet Outages. The fingbox is correctly connected to the network and the home wifi works well, but the internet is down. These outages are underlined in the timeline on the speed test view. In that case, please check for minor Internet outages with your ISP. 

2) Lost of load-bearing. In this case, the fingbox seems to lose the IP address. It might due either to the cable or to the switch connected to. 

I would like to confirm if the ethernet cable is not broken. As you restart the Fingbox, it forces the network to reach its full speed but if there is any damage on the cable, the speed will drop thus leading to Offline.  

I would also like you to try any Cat 6 or Cat 7 cable and then see if it is still losing connection or not. 

If you experience issues with network connectivity for Fingbox, you can either increase the network size on Fing App. 

To do this: 

• Open the Fing app, ensure that you are on the Network associated with your Fingbox 

• Tap on the Avatar icon in the top-right corner 

• Choose 'App Settings' 

• Scroll down and go to the "Maximum Network Size" setting and select the size based on the number of devices connected to network in your house. 

Or, you can check if the Ip address assigned to Fingbox is not being used by other Device which disconnects the Fingbox from the connection. I would request you to assign a Static IP address to Fingbox which will help us to isolate the issue. Assigning Static IP address to most devices is easy, just go to its network settings, look for DHCP option and turn it OFF. Once you do that, you'll see a text area to enter Static IP address. Enter the new IP address there, save changes. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I am still struggling with the blinking orange ring on my Fingbox (in the past it was solid blue),  Because I am always adding IoT devices, the proposed solution to increase the Network Size seems like a good idea.  But I tried to follow the instructions from my Macbook Pro and can't even do the first step of looking in the top right-hand corner for an Abviar.  I don't see any.
  • andy1516eandy1516e Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    Any resolution or additional tips?   I have tested my cable with my Fluke meter and it was fine, but replaced it anyway.  Also have assigned a static IP from my router and and have up the max number of device connections from the app.  After rebooting it will stay on for about 30 minutes and then disconnect (light go orange and flashes twice).  It worked great for about 1 1/2 years and now has been non functional for about 3 months.    Any ideas?  Thanks
    admin
    Hi @andy1516e

As we have investigated the reason for Fingbox going Offline, there are two reasons:  

1) Internet Outages. The fingbox is correctly connected to the network and the home wifi works well, but the internet is down. These outages are underlined in the timeline on the speed test view. In that case, please check for minor Internet outages with your ISP. 

2) Lost of load-bearing. In this case, the fingbox seems to lose the IP address. It might due either to the cable or to the switch connected to. 

I would like to confirm if the ethernet cable is not broken. As you restart the Fingbox, it forces the network to reach its full speed but if there is any damage on the cable, the speed will drop thus leading to Offline.  

I would also like you to try any Cat 6 or Cat 7 cable and then see if it is still losing connection or not. Also, can you change the port on router where the Fingbox is connected to another port.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    First Comment
    New cat 6 cable (2 ft length).  Unfortunately my Netgear Orbi only has 1 port for pluging hardwired connections.   The fing device stayed up for 15 minutes after I restarted via power cycle last night.  I don't believe there has been any internet outages, my wife was VPN'd into her work and would have know if the internet dropped out.
    admin
    The issue might be in relation to Netgear Orbi router as we had some discrepancy with Netgear Orbi routers. Can you check if Orbi is not blocking Fingbox from its firewall and all required ports are enabled for Fingbox?

You need to have ports 80, 443, 4443, 5671 open so the Fingbox can connect to the Fing Software servers. 

(If you are going to run a speed test, please also have ports 3001, 3002, and 3003 enabled also) 

• 80 (Internet Speed Test) 

• 443 (Fing Service and Software Updates) 

• 3001, 3002, 3003 (Internet Speed Test) 

• 4443 (Fing Service) 

• 5671 (Fing Diagnostics) 

Fingbox makes use of these protocols and ports. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    First Comment
    Port forwarding is now setup in the Orbi router on the fings static IP address.  Unfortunately the fingbox is still dropping off.  The only other factor I can think of is that I am using OpenDNS, not sure if that is blocking anything or not, but the fact that it connects for anywhere from 15-30 minutes before dropping off makes me think this is not an issue.
    admin
    Thanks @andy1516e
    As of now, to investigate, don't use the OpenDNS for a day and then check if the Fingbox is still dropping off or not?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    10 Comments Photogenic
    With help from Robin, and others, the blinking orange replaced by solid blue.  I changed the cable from the find box to router with a CAT 7 cable, instead of what I think was a CAT 6.  The solid blue did not appear immediately but by the next day,  it did.

Robin