Overview in Fing overview

DGPDGP Member, Beta Tester Posts: 38
10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Likes Photogenic
✭✭
Overview in Fing overview
In my network I have a Deco M9 mesh router. I have 5 units. Three wired and 2 wifi only. According to the Fingbox, I have 19 (!) BSSIS's. All MAC addresses are listed in the app. This makes it somewhat confusing to keep an overview. I have the following questions:

* Why 19 BSSID and not 20. Or another logical number?
* Why are some of these BSSID (not all ?!) listed with 255.255.255.255 and not an IP address? When I click on it I see the macadresses. But this is completely unclear because those 255 numbers are listed one below the other, with other (unknown) devices in between.
* Sometimes those numbers are also offline (gray). How is that possible?
* Sometimes they are not online in my network but in the vicinity (wifi sign) of my network, I think Fingbox network. According to my Deco App, those 5 units are always and perfectly online.
* Why can't I see which Deco unit a device is connected to?
* I am very curious about the answer from the Fing employees in particular.........
Tagged:

Answers

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @DGP:
    Those are all very good questions, let's see if we can ask @Ciaran and @Robin for some insight on this one.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • DGPDGP Member, Beta Tester Posts: 38
    ✭✭
    Dear sir @kltaylor
    Pleased to hear that these are all good questions. But what exactly is your role and contribution in this? Referring? OMG so you get your points and stars. I hate it. The men in between. I see that some people do this regularly in this forum.
    I don't think it's good for the reputation, and certainly not for the progress. Or you answer the question or you do not interfere. But that's just an opinion. Still no answers....
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello again, @DGP
    "..what exactly is your role and contribution in this?"
    My role as a founding member of this community and as a forum moderator with Fing, was to initially address your concern and inform you that I would need to "escalate" the issue to the developers for their input.

"Referring? OMG so you get your points and stars. I hate it. The men in between"
    Honestly, I don't pay attention to the 'points' and how much I have versus any other.  What matters to me is that your question was received and addressed as quickly as a human volunteer can muster and advise that I would escalate the issue.  I apologize if that seems mediocre or trivial to you, it's an important part of my position here with Fing.

"I don't think it's good for the reputation, and certainly not for the progress. Or you answer the question or you do not interfere."
    You seem to be a bit hostile with your messages and I'm not sure why that is.  Please be patient while the developers and official Fing employees (@Robin ) review the information and provide any information that they can.

We appreciate you and your patience.
    Robin
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,702
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks for the tag @kltaylor. I will address all of @DGP questions. To address and explain to you better, I would require some more information related to your network. For this, I have sent you a private mail. Please reply to my message and I can guide you better. Thanks

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    kltaylor
  • DGPDGP Member, Beta Tester Posts: 38
    ✭✭
    Dear @kltaylor

Why does someone fall someone once asked, his friend replied ... please can we talk about something interesting?

It was my intention to come across as hostile. Not because that is my basic attitude, but because it seems quite strange to me if someone thinks the questions you ask are good questions.
    Hypotheses non fingo  Sir Isaac Newton said.

There is always two sides to a KLTaylor story. With all your good intentions and apparently good work. An ordinary forum visitor does not necessarily know what role another person plays. Especially if that has not become clear beforehand. In this case I did not see that your intention was to address and "escalate" to others.
    In summary, I ask a number of questions, and I get the first response that these were good questions and that someone else knows (correct) answers. Do you understand. That's strange.

My suggestion would be that you clarify your role in this in the first contact. I would not only understand the intervention, be happy to know that it is being worked on and certainly have the respect you deserve.

Warm Regards
    Cordialement
    DGP
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Thank you for your feedback
    DGP