Network Outage indication. Can a reason be attached to this indication?

WA4OSHWA4OSH Member Posts: 7
Photogenic First Comment
Last night we had a network outage and the Fingbox properly reported this event with the blue blinking light turning red.  However, my VPN was still connected to a remote site.  I was able to surf on my work laptop even though the rest of the house was not getting internet service.  It looks like the network's DNS server was down.  But I was getting DNS service from my employer's network, not my service provider.

There are several Network Outages that I can think of.  Some of them have work-arounds.  If we knew what the exact failure was, we could quickly get online again, sometimes.
1) Router crashed - Reboot it
2) WAN connection down - sometimes the DSLAM or Big Cable Router at the network end is down.
3) DNS server is down.  Can you get to an alternate DNS?
4) The main Tier 1 connection to the Internet is down - not much you can do about it.

Ideas?

WA4OSHDarrenHillPeter_Green
3 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,312
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have made this post as an Idea and please make sure to upvote the initial post if other users want to get this implemented as well.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • WA4OSHWA4OSH Member Posts: 7
    Photogenic First Comment
    Thanks!