Open Ports

Me_12Me_12 Member Posts: 3

I have over 40 open ports on one device and one says whois.arin.net under description it says "nickname"??? What is that?

Answers

• rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 641
    500 Comments 50 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭

I've never seen a device with that many open ports, what type of device is this?

• jamzmjamzm Pittsburgh, PA, USAMember Posts: 36
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I received a warning from Fing yesterday.  Said there were 162 open ports.  This is the second time getting this.
    I used to be fat.
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 685
    500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Likes 25 Awesomes
    admin
    @jamzm, can you confirm what type of device it is?
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Yes sir.  I have a  Netgear 16 port POE switch and a 4 port POE camera controller connected to the web through a Linksys WRT1200AC router.   I also have 2 networks showing.  Thank you for responding.
    I used to be fat.
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Internet Security check found new open ports: TCP 17189 (via UPnP by Thermostat), TCP 18260 (via UPnP by CamController), TCP 18428 (via UPnP by CamController), TCP 18663 (via UPnP by CamController), TCP 20689 (via UPnP by CamController), TCP 22182 (via UPnP by CamController), TCP 22618 (via UPnP by CamController), TCP 22828 (via UPnP by CamController), TCP 22987 (via UPnP by CamController), TCP 23009 (via UPnP by Thermostat), TCP 23529 (via UPnP by Thermostat), TCP 24059 (via UPnP by CamController), TCP 25089 (via UPnP by CamController), TCP 25866 (via UPnP by CamController), TCP 25955 (via UPnP by Thermostat), TCP 29401 (via UPnP by CamController), TCP 29989 (via UPnP by CamController), TCP 30344 (via UPnP by CamController), TCP 31042 (via UPnP by CamController), TCP 31204 (via UPnP by CamController), TCP 31825 (via UPnP by CamController), TCP 32727 (via UPnP by CamController)
    I used to be fat.
    10 Comments Photogenic
    The cam controller is wired...The thermostat is not.  Those are the only devices i see in there.

I used to be fat.
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I'm going to delete one of the networks.  It may be the root of my problem.
    I used to be fat.
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I will delete the network i'm getting the warnings for.
    I used to be fat.
    10 Comments Photogenic
    If I don't reply after this it's because my network is FUBAR. I'm goin in!
    I used to be fat.
    10 Comments Photogenic

Your Fingbox F0:23:B9:EC:6C:84 has been deactivated. 

I used to be fat.
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Fingbox connected to the remaining network.
    I used to be fat.
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I think I'm actually okay at this point.  If i get another open port warning, I'll get back to you.  Thanks
    I used to be fat.
    rooted
  • CrowgrandfatherCrowgrandfather Member, Beta Tester Posts: 57
    5 Answers 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭

Seems like the root of your problem is UPnP. I always recommend turning UPnP off unless you absolutely need it on. Very few routers implement UPnP correctly and it can result in opening dozens of ports like this

10 Comments Photogenic
    When I disable UPnP, my WiFi stops working.  Thank you for responding.  Still open to suggestions.
    I used to be fat.
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I also wanted to say that my security camera application is opening most of those ports,
    I used to be fat.
    ✭✭✭✭

The thing about that is your security camera is potentially making your network less secure by opening all those ports.

10 Comments Photogenic
    That's understandable.  The questions are; Why and What do I need to do to avoid that?  Thank you very much.
    I used to be fat.
    ✭✭✭✭

You would need to disable UPnP and manually forward the ports your network needs to function.

10 Comments Photogenic
    Well, I did not think of that.  How would I be able to tell which ports I need to open?  Thank you.
    I used to be fat.
    ✭✭✭✭

Research each device you know opens ports, game systems, cameras, things like that and manually open them with port forwarding. It can be tedious but only needs to be done once fortunately.

10 Comments Photogenic
    Okay, I'll check it out.  Thanks again
    I used to be fat.
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I'm about to throw in the towel.  Over 200 ports open today.  I'm going to disconnect Fingbox and security cameras till i get this worked out.  Any ideas?
    I used to be fat.
    ✭✭✭✭

Have you tried shutting off UPnP in your router?

• New_Fing12New_Fing12 Member Posts: 10
    First Comment

I noticed something the other day and it looks like certain programs are activated at certain times and at start up. Where do I go to see these kind of rules that have been applied.

First Comment

Sorry to bombard you jamzm why does ring show two devices for my wifi. I just have the 1 wireless router. It shows DSL Device and WIFI two different IP addresses. The DSL shows up as an additional device with the last 3 digits of the IP address is different. I just dont get why it shows 2.

10 Comments Photogenic

Hi, the only thing I can think of is you may have 2 devices of the same brand of radio. For instance, my wifi Genie garage door unit shows as a ring doorbell device because the chip is from the same manufacturer. But is the unit wired to anything?

I used to be fat.
    First Comment

No just the one box. Maybe because it has a 2.4gh and a 5.5 gh??? I'm just guessing. Did you see my other messages?

10 Comments Photogenic

I have not seen your other messages. Can the device connect to both 2.4 and 5.0 bands?

I used to be fat.
    10 Comments Photogenic

Are you using windows 10?

I used to be fat.
    First Comment

Yes it can