FingApp/box show 0.0.0.0 for some devices?

HronosHronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 289
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
✭✭✭✭
Hi, I have added a Wi-Fi extender to my network (an old TP-Link AP configured as a repeater).
The behavior I was seen at the network is, whenever a device jump to that repeater, the FingApp show it as IP 0.0.0.0 and been "In range" but not in the network.  When I look at the router (principal Wi-Fi) they show normally with their corrects IPs (almost all my devices have reserved IP).
Is this behavior correct? The FingApp/box does that with any other repeater configuration? What if I configure de TP-Link as an Access Point?. Does Mesh will have the same behavior?
Keep looking up!

Best Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,351
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    @Hronos , I get the same behavior with my mesh network.  Devices connected to the extender in the mesh network appear as 0.0.0.0.  its been like this from day one.  It's annoying but it has been explained to me that it is a result of how some extenders assign multiple addresses aka multi-homing to their interfaces. 
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    VioletChepilRobin
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,193
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Accepted Answer
    Hey @Hronos (I'm on Support Team here)

I believe the reason for 0.0.0.0 is due to repeater creating a separate gateway than main access point where the Fingbox is connected. In Range refers to multiple features on Fingbox, It can be for your own device which is under different network or the device which are not under your network(different network) but nearby (Digital Fence). Online refers to the device is under the same network and is connected. In your case, In Range is referred to the device is in the complete signal range of the network. 
    To solve this, you need to add your repeater as an access point and then Fingbox will be able to monitor that access point as well.

With Mesh System, almost all the features of the Fingbox will work except for Bandwidth Analysis, Internet Speed Test and Vulnerability test for open ports. Fingbox is compatible with both a single node Mesh Wi-Fi network. It also works with two Wi-Fi mesh networks. With three or more than three Wifi Network, there might be some errors in using the above-mentioned features.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!

Answers

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Hronos
    Do both frequencies(2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz) have same SSID name or are they different? Also, are phones are connected to same network as the Fingbox network?
    Do you see any generic devices under the device list after running the scan?
    If you are connected to the 5ghz network and Fing is connected to the 2.4ghz network even though they all have the same name, you might not see the devices connected under the Device tab. And, if the router has multiple network interface which provides multiple frequencies(2.4Ghz and 5Ghz), and the devices are able to connect to multiple access points then you will see multiple names but only one will be active at a time and others will be greyed out. 
    @Hronos

Community Manager at Fing

• HronosHronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 289
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi every one, and thanks for your replys!
    Just to point out my scenery @VioletChepil, my Network is sort of like:
    • MAIN Router: Provides Local IP addresses (x.y.z.0-254), gateway (x.y.z.1) and Wi-Fi (SSID: Router.2 for 2.4Ghz and Router.5 for 5Ghz)
    • Unmanaged switch (for wired devices)
    • Fingbox (as one of the wired devices)
    • Wi-Fi repeater(repeating Router.2) : TP-Link device (only 2.4Ghz capable) than can be set as Access Point (with an Ethernet wire attach to it) or Universal Repeater (wirelessly).  This is the new set up, previously I have not used any kind of extender/repeater.
    Without the Repeater, all the devices connected to my network (via Ethernet, 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz Wi-Fi) show in the FingApp as "In Network" and with their IP's assigned to them.
    With the Repeater set, as @Marc says, the devices than jumps to the Repeater to connect to my network are shown as 0.0.0.0 in the FingApp, and as I can now verify: the IP's of them are listed as IP's of the Repeater itself in the FingApp (Repeater has 1 IP assigned to it and +1 more for each device that connects to it, all of them IP manually "reserved" to the devices in the MAIN Router x.y.z.###).  The devices also are mark as "not in the network", just "In range" in the FingApp.  I have tested the "ping" tool, over those devices and they respond (but I am pretty sure than the ping is really be done over the Repeater itself, for the response time show by the test).
    Also quoting @Marc it's kind of annoying, nothing more.
    @Robin puts the issue on how FingApp/Box can interprete the information it gets from the devices connected to the repeater (and the technology they're support on, like Router, Repeater and how the IP's can be seen as they are all in the Repeater), if I am misunderstanding something please feel free to point it out.
    Now, if in a Mesh Network the behavior is going to be the same (devices with IP 0.0.0.0), It's just better to get used to this.  I have to do more testing, to see if this behavior reduce the ability to use some features like the "presence" notification (when a device just connects directly to the Repeater on arrival)
    Robin said:
    To solve this, you need to add your repeater as an access point and then Fingbox will be able to monitor that access point as well.
    As a prove of concept, I will try configuring the TP-Link as an Access Point, but the location where it has to be, prevent me to deploy a dedicated Ethernet cable (for now).
    Keep looking up!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

One frank comment to this and other threads @VioletChepil and @Robin ... I’ve noticed that Fingbox seems to have significant limitations when it comes to what are now common home network configurations. IPv6 is now default for many pieces of kit including home routers and phones. Yet, support is not there from fing. Repeaters? Mesh networks? Not all there either as this thread points out. I’m hoping you folks are busy trying to figure this all out but in the meantime I would hate to reconfigure my working home network just to use fing to its fullest. Please note this comes from a place of great respect for what you’ve done in this space, but it’s a concern as network gear capabilities evolve.

Long_John_Sliver
  • parfimikparfimik Member, Beta Tester Posts: 5
    Photogenic First Comment
    Just to add to this, I have a mesh network consisting of Synology router and Synology mesh point, and all the items connected to the mesh point, or the main router all correctly show their (identical) IP addresses. The mesh point also shows up with it's own IP address. This would tend to suggest that a mesh networks of "likeminded"or 1 supplier systems are able to correctly handle the IP addresses, whereas more "ad hoc" systems are unable to correctly relay the system information around.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

My current setup is a linksys ea9300 wireless router and a linksys re9000 range extender, which are meant to work together. Fingbox identifies the wireless router connected bits fine, but can’t give me ip addresses, just 0.0’s of the range extender things. I’d settle for reduced functionality, aka no blocking etc if I could just get accurate ip information instead for those devices.

Long_John_Sliver
  • Long_John_SliverLong_John_Sliver Member, Beta Tester Posts: 10
    5 Likes Photogenic First Comment
    For comparison: I have recently installed an eero pro wifi (3-node) mesh router tri-band system when my ancient D-Link G router died, and I have achieved a substantial improvement in coverage and stability. The "gateway" node is of course wired to the cable modem directly. One of the other two nodes (which I call Second eero) has a wired connection via a 24-port unmanaged Cisco switch; the last node (I call it Third eero) is connected by wifi because it's in an adjacent outbuilding that has no ethernet connection to the main house. I also have an older Linksys router cascade-wired (via the switch) to the LAN as a wireless access point in a distant part of the main house for the convenience of guests (it's in a guest room); this shows in fing simply as a WAP. Thus, all the nodes, the WAP, and all devices on the LAN show as discrete IP addresses in fing. I use eero's app as well as fing to monitor the LAN.
    One of the eeros pops up occasionally as a 0.0.0.0 device, but this is useless information so I just delete it from the list in fing, with no consequence to performance. I consider it a hiccup.
    I am puzzled that the node I call Second eero appears in fing as having two IP addresses (192.168.7.20 and .28). This anomaly does not seem to affect LAN performance, but it would be helpful if fing provided advice when such a phenomenon occurs (for example, "This is a problem" or "This is not a problem.") because I have enough knowledge and experience to recount the above and mostly understand it, my knowledge is not sufficient for me to know the significance of everything fing tells me.

VioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Long_John_Sliver you could submit that one as a feature request here if you like! 
    https://community.fing.com/categories/fingbox-feature-requests

Community Manager at Fing

Long_John_Sliver
  • Long_John_SliverLong_John_Sliver Member, Beta Tester Posts: 10
    5 Likes Photogenic First Comment
    Thanks, I have done so.
    VioletChepil