Usage/test feedback of the new Fing Desktop v1.1.0

DiverkingDiverking Member Posts: 28
10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper
edited March 20 in Fing Desktop
1. Positioning at startup
Is it possible to remember posisition and size of the screen when started? Size is a liitle bit too small to fit with 10 row selection
2. Is it possible to add he WOL, trace, ping functionality (as in Fing App) to the desktop as well?
3. Scanning/refresh connectivity
- Scan/refresh: using default names sometimes give upper, lower or Camel (random not very repeatable).  As workaround I fill in the name in the name field property. Should be alway the same name with every scan. 
Also my Garmin Edge 1000 is detected. Extra default device "Bike computer" with bike icon would be nice :-)
- Brand: in most cases not or not good detected. 2 same model Dell servers have different outcome? 
- Model: almost never filled in in with all my 32 devices (Servers, PC's, Laptop ipad, mobiles). 
- OS: sometimes detected but not consistent. Windows 10 vs Windows 10 Pro but on all machines Pro is installed. On servers it says Windows but it is Windows Server 2019 / 2012R2. Sometimes even nothing (2 same Dell servers Same OS but different in Fing)
- OS Version: never filled in
- Brand: says sometimes Windows but that is the same as OS so what is the meaning of this field
In general: Is it posible that that all properties can be edited? (not only name, note, placement)
4. What is the meaning of the outage screen? 

My compliments for your app. It definitly fills in a gap for home/small office network monitoring

A satisfied user :smiley:

Answers

• CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 781
    500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin

Hi @Diverking ,  thank you so much for your kind words and your detailed feedback. Generally, to avoid confusion (and any feedback being lost), we would post each of these on individual posts. However, I will attempt to answer each point individually below:

1. Positioning at startup:    Is it possible to remember posisition and size of the screen when started? Size is a liitle bit too small to fit with 10 row selection. ANSWER: another user has given this feedback and set up as an ‘Idea’, please upvote https://community.fing.com/discussion/3775/remember-window-size-and-location#latest
    2. Is it possible to add he WOL, trace, ping functionality (as in Fing App) to the desktop as well? ANSWER: If you could set this up as an ‘Idea’ in the ideas category for other users to also ‘upvote’ it would be great. Thanks
    3. Scanning/refresh connectivity
    - Scan/refresh: using default names sometimes give upper, lower or Camel (random not very repeatable).  As workaround I fill in the name in the name field property. Should be alway the same name with every scan. 
    Also my Garmin Edge 1000 is detected. Extra default device "Bike computer" with bike icon would be nice :-)
    - Brand: in most cases not or not good detected. 2 same model Dell servers have different outcome? 
    - Model: almost never filled in in with all my 32 devices (Servers, PC's, Laptop ipad, mobiles). 
    - OS: sometimes detected but not consistent. Windows 10 vs Windows 10 Pro but on all machines Pro is installed. On servers it says Windows but it is Windows Server 2019 / 2012R2. Sometimes even nothing (2 same Dell servers Same OS but different in Fing)
    - OS Version: never filled in
    - Brand: says sometimes Windows but that is the same as OS so what is the meaning of this field

ANSWER: The icons are the icons replicated from the Fing App. I have added the ‘bike’ icon suggestion for consideration (we have a number of users who have requested other icons also, which we will review going forward).

Regarding your device recognition points: The Fing discovery will identify devices on a best effort basis, based on the information made available by the device, e.g. the MAC address. There are numerous reasons why the device might not be recognised correctly e.g.

- The DHCP server is not refreshing when speaking to your Fingbox.

- Limited information being offered by specific devices.

We are constantly looking to improve this (and thank you for the suggestions). We always encourage, when a user establishes what the device is, we would encourage users to insert as many details that you can about the device. This will assist with improved user device identification in the future and help improve the engine for all Fing users.

4. What is the meaning of the outage screen? 

ANSWER:   This section will give you information on any ISP outages globally. Fing leverages a fleet of probing devices distributed worldwide, periodically sending heartbeats: disconnections are processed by real-time streaming analytics with machine learning based trending and outlier detection, i.e. self-learning thresholds to automatically detect and report outages at the ISP level or at carrier/power level. For more information, please visit https://app.fing.com/internet/help/what-s-an-outage

Thank you again for your detailed feedback and constructive commentary. It is really very much appreciated.

PS: I have slightly edited the subject title for searchability reasons

Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Diverking
  • DiverkingDiverking Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ciaran, tnx a lot for your quick respons.  By the way I have NO FingBox only FingApp (on IOS and android) and FingDesktop
    Your answer about one of the most interesting features "Discovery" on MAC address even interests me more as I noticed that some of the information comes from the DHCP cache of my router that was not refreshed. For example my sons P20-Huawei.... was everyt time discovered with that name (was also in the DHCP cache) and I changed all the hostnames. Another example: When I installed a new VM with Windows Server it gets first a DHCP ip address with a default WIN-XXXXX . I changed this to a static IP and correct hostname. FingApp found the device twice. So I still not clearly understand how Fing is gathering the information. Please can you share the exact functionality?