How do I remove a device from modem?

ShtiffShtiff Member Posts: 7

How do I remove an unwanted device from my modem? I already added Mac address to my modem but it keeps showing up every time I open and refresh fing.

VioletChepil

Best Answer

• PoohPooh Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Looks like it's either a Android phone or other smart device powered by the Android OS. Not seeing anything with the prefixes in a MAC address lookup list, the nearest I got was for "Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology" (potentially some form of camera) with just the C2-A4 prefix in the MAC address. That said, that address could be randomized as well.

If you have a Fingbox you can block it. Otherwise you might want to shut down all your devices (or place them in airplane mode) to try and remove what it is not.
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    ShtiffVioletChepil

Answers

• PoohPooh Member Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25

Sorry, but your question doesn't any sense as it is written.

What are you classing as a modem here? A modem is used to convert your incoming fiber/dsl/cable signal to Ethernet.

A modem pretty much has one task to do: that is to MOdulate and DEModulate signals between your ISP and TCP/IP. And that's it. It's what gives your your ethernet connectivity that you then use elsewhere in your home network.

From the Modem one would normally expect a router/Access Point of some description which may/may not have switch/hub functionality. Said router may/may not be wireless.

At this point, in a Fing world, one would normally expect to see a Fingbox.

Only on rare circumstances would I expect anyone to make changes to their modem and is not expect the Fingbox to even know about it given that it exists on the other side of the network they the Fingbox would not normally see.

So, given all this, what and where are you observing?

RobinVioletChepil
  • ShtiffShtiff Member Posts: 7

Ok I have an unwanted device on my wifi. Looking for a way to remove it. Found it with fing. Device is a modem /router.

VioletChepil

So, you're saying that you have a router you don't recognize on the network? Can you supply more details here, as to what the make\model and MAC address is?

VioletChepil

Ok Thank you. I might have an idea. As that name is on known devices on wifi. I will unplug and confirm. Thank you for your time!

PoohVioletChepil
    @Shtiff anytime. If that doesn't help then please do reply here and we'll see if we can help further.
    VioletChepil

If you don't mind me asking. How did you get the info? I googled it, but it just said it was a Samsung device.

VioletChepil
    edited August 25
    There are some (by now) inaccurate MAC lookup websites. Back in the day they were more useful - back when MAC address were more fixed. However now the more unsavory folk in the world (aka Advertisers etc.) have been using it to spy on users, many manufacturers use a process called "MAC Address Randomization" to try and thwart them.

In your case, the MAC address is probably kosher because it's on your network, and MAR only works on devices that are passing access points, that said, it's now getting harder and harder to find a database that is up to date since it's becoming less and less useful in providing a hard lookup - doubly so given that it's pretty easy to roll your own MAC addresses these days (triply so when it comes to virtualization).

I took the first two bytes and found the manufacturer, however that was more of an educated guess more than a factual determination.
    RobinVioletChepil

Ok Thank you!

VioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKAdministrator Posts: 2,232 admin
    @Shtiff if you could accept an answer on this thread would be great. That'll let other members know they can find an answer here :) 
    Cheers! 

Community Manager at Fing

I did