Change in Fing Speed Test Logic?

ReedfootReedfoot Member Posts: 3
Photogenic First Comment
I've had my Fingbox running speed tests regularly four times a day for over a year, and have always gotten results that were fairly consistent (~190 normally, with peaks near 250 on good days).  The results were just a little lower than my router's internal speed test numbers.  Since January 22nd, my results have dropped consistently to ~85-87.  When I do a speed test from my router (I'm 100% WiFi except for the Fingbox) I am still getting results in the 250 range.  I talked to Comcast (since I pay for 300 speeds) and they said that if I am getting 250 on any device in my home, it can't be a problem on their end.  I'm wondering if there was an update to my Fingbox back then that may have altered my numbers.  Any suggestions?  I'm running Fingbox v1.14.15.

Answers

• rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 812
    500 Comments 50 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No firmware updates have been made. Test M-Labs server from your PC and see if it matches the Fingbox results as that is what it's using:

• MowkieMowkie Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    I have had a similar experience on two occasions since I changed ISP in January. Speeds consistent for weeks at 490/500, then dropping to a consistent 97 +/- a few bits/sec. 
    Fingbox switched off and unplugged for a hour or so, then reconnected and it was reporting 490/500 again.
    Separate speed test on PC connected directly to router reported speed at around 900 Mbps (on a gigabit fibre connection).

• ReedfootReedfoot Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic First Comment
    Thanks - I tried this and still get the same speeds.  I really am baffled as to the causal, but I'm not really feeling any impacts (have been able to stream HD movies, laptop speeds seem 'normal') so  I don't know that I am going to worry too much about it.  Thanks again!  
  • ReedfootReedfoot Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic First Comment
    I did try running an M-Lab speed test off my PC, but again all my equipment is Wi-Fi except for the Fingbox, so the test is degraded because of Wi-Fi speeds.  The M-Lab test on the PC was about 52Mbps vs Fingbox's 89.  My Nighthawk router still shows 275Mbps on its built-in speed test, but it uses Ookla and can't be changed.  Go figure...
  • MowkieMowkie Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    Have you tried replacing the ethernet cable between the Fingbox and the router?
    I replaced the flat cat 6 cable with a standard cat 5e. I tested the flat cable between my pc and network and found it had intermittent connection problems. Since replacing the cable Fing reports speeds consistently in the range expected.
    Robin
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,785
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    @Reedfoot

To give an update on this, we have been in contact with our Speedtest partners, M-Labs. They confirmed that they have recently rolled out an upgraded of their infrastructure & migration of machines to a new platform. This is being done to improve the overall Speedtest performance going forward. By doing this, initially they have cut of the multi-stream download Speedtest that we rely on for our Speedtests. However, they have greatly improved the single stream download Speedtest (previously the single stream download could measure up to 250 Mbps, where now it can measure up to 500+ Mbps). With speeds above this, the measured speed reported will be lower than before, due to the single stream limits.

To note for Fingbox users: this will also affect Fingbox Speedtests. We have released a new firmware version for the Fingbox which will allow single stream download to work again, firmware version 1.14.13 and onwards. If you have not yet received the new release, please power-cycle the Fingbox, this will automatically update the firmware on the Fingbox.

M-Labs are working on re-introducing the mutli speed download speedtest, to include it again in the future. Currently, we have no time-frame on when this will be re-introduced. Unfortunately at this stage, there is no further steps we can take to expedite this process.

For more information on differences between single and multiple stream tests, please see: https://www.measurementlab.net/blog/speed-tests-accuracy/

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • EyeTapEyeTap Member Posts: 16
    10 Comments 5 Likes Photogenic Name Dropper

Do these changes also affect the Speedtest servers being picked?
    Since yesterday (March 23rd) I am always directed to the one Prague - instead of Vienna where I am located.
    This definitely makes a difference in the results.
    Is there maybe any estimate when this is going to be back to "normal"...?

Thanks a lot!
  • rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 812
    500 Comments 50 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

These changes weren't that recent, maybe a month or two ago.

We truly need the ability to pick what server we use, the server Fingbox connects to for me is in Atlanta, it's always slow and I don't live in Georgia but 326 miles (524 kilometers) away in Florida.

admin
    Hi All,
    Just few days back, M-lab has changed something again. I got in touch with them and I will share their reply. This is affecting our integration of Fingbox with M-lab.
    M-lab: Sorry that you've been experiencing this issue. The reason you've experienced this is due to our automated load management on our servers. We limit the number of concurrent tests per location in order to assure a high standard of measurement quality, which has the effect of limiting some test clients to not run. In Toronto, we have also been working to upgrade our servers and add additional infrastructure to support the increasing volume of tests and higher speed customer connections. 

We have implemented a change based in part on your report, which we think will reduce the number of times this happens for you. With respect to the Fingbox integration, there is a change that they might be able to make to further mitigate this issue for their clients. We will let them know about it. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    rooted
    Seems there are again Hiccups - at least from what I can see here for Vienna.
    It worked well for a few days but now the speed reported is just a third of what (multiple) other solutions tell (and what is in line with how it should be).
    I have to admit that while this is not a major issue wrong results are still quite nagging as they might trigger complaints with the ISP which then turn out to not be valid.
    Would it actually be possible to deactivate the speed tests from within the app?
    admin
    EyeTap said:
    Would it actually be possible to deactivate the speed tests from within the app?
    Are you referring to a schedule test from Fingbox or manual speed test from Fing App and Fing desktop?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Talking about deactivating scheduled tests... my fingers i mostly can stop ;-)
    admin
    EyeTap said:
    Talking about deactivating scheduled tests... my fingers i mostly can stop ;-)
    Yes, you can deactivate the scheduled test by going to Internet performance tab and then select the schedule button and uncheck the time slots and click ok. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Cool! Thanks!