Most devices say Generic on App but have a real name in Desktop product

jmocker01jmocker01 Member Posts: 11
10 Comments
Most devices say generic on my iPhone app (latest app version and iOS version on iPhone 11 Pro).  On the Desktop site however they show up as Nest, etc...  I've refreshed, killed the app and still almost all say Generic. Any ideas?

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,386
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Hi @jmocker01

Generic devices are those devices for which Fing was not able to identify the vendor and what kind of device it is. If there is any device in your house which is using any kind of internet(Wifi) then Fing App can show you all devices connected on your network. You can use this external link to know about the vendor of the device: https://aruljohn.com/mac/F45EAB or you can use Fing Desktop to identify all devices. Fing Desktop discovery is better than Fing App as there is no restrictions from ios or android. 

The Fing App discovery will identify devices on a best effort basis, based on the information made available by the device, e.g. the MAC address. There are numerous reasons why the device might not be recognized correctly e.g. 

- The DHCP server is not refreshing when speaking to your Fingbox. 

- Limited information being offered by specific devices. 

Upon identifying, I would advise inserting as many details that you can about the device to help improve the engine for all Fing users. 

This will assist with improved device identification in the future. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • jmocker01jmocker01 Member Posts: 11
    10 Comments
    So why does the desktop app identify devices by name and the app does not?  Seems like an App issue not all the things you listed above.  I can send screen shots of each if that helps.  
    admin
    Hi @jmocker01

As stated,  The Fing App discovery will identify devices on a best effort basis, based on the information made available by the device, e.g. the MAC address. There are numerous reasons why the device might not be recognized correctly e.g. 

- The DHCP server is not refreshing when speaking to your Fingbox. 

- Limited information being offered by specific devices. 

With new Android and Apple O.S versions, the location permissions are mandatory for the Fing App to operate and identify all the devices on the network. If you have not enabled the location permissions then every time you scan the network then Fing App will not be able to display the access point name and the device customizations will be lost and revert to the default value(Generic). Fing Desktop does not have such limitations otherwise both Fing App and Fing Desktop are using the same device discovery feature.

Upon identifying, I would advise inserting as many details that you can about the device to help improve the engine for all Fing users. 

This will assist with improved device identification in the future. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • DiverkingDiverking Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited March 17
    Hi, I'm running 2 Dell R720xd 160Gb mem Windows server 2019 datacenter with Hyper-V enabled running 8 Vm's each. Fing App (v1.0.1) discovers my VM windows server 2012R2 as a microsoft Mobile device? When I change the properties a new mobile device is discovered again.  My other VM's are CentOS 7 and also discovered as generic. Why don't remember the fixed IP or MAc adres? I'm not re-typing all information about 16 VM's!!
    admin
    Diverking said:
    Hi, I'm running 2 Dell R720xd 160Gb mem Windows server 2019 datacenter with Hyper-V enabled running 8 Vm's each. Fing App (v1.0.1) discovers my VM windows server 2012R2 as a microsoft Mobile device? When I change the properties a new mobile device is discovered again.  My other VM's are CentOS 7 and also discovered as generic. Why don't remember the fixed IP or MAc adres? I'm not re-typing all information about 16 VM's!!
    Hi @Diverking
    Thanks for your feedback. As Fing Desktop is a relatively new product. With VM's there will be some discrepancy with both Fing App or Fing Desktop as VM will try to hide the correct information from certain checks through which we are able to identify the devices and information.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Diverking
    10 Comments
    Hi Robin, so I understand you response but not sure it answer my question.  Fing on my iPad and on my Desktop all identify my devices and give them a name other than Generic.  However on my iPhone, almost every single one says Generic.  This is all from my home network.  Why would my iPhone be different than other devices?  Is there a way to clear its cache out?  Something else I can try to get my iPhone working?  I can't believe that the answer is to manually enter names when all your other apps on the same network identify the devices just fine.  Thanks again for your help.  
    Diverking
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 855
    500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Hi @jmocker01, can you try to uninstall the app on your iPhone. Re-install it and allow all permissions (including location permissions)?
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    10 Comments
    Yes I uninstalled and reinstalled. However when I did that it somehow remembered my credential so I wondered if it did not full remove all app data?  Regardless, uninstalling and reinstalling did not fix the issue that almost every single device is noted as Generic but on my iPad or the Desktop Fing correctly identifies 100% of the devices with actual names.  Other suggestions?  Thanks
    10 Comments
    I should have included, that at one time when I first installed Fing, it did identify devices on an iPhone but I know I've upgraded phones since the original install.  
    admin
    Hi @jmocker01

I would like you to make sure that you have enabled all permissions required for the Fing app to operate. Please go to phone settings and set location permissions so Fing App is able to read the SSID correctly. And also, please make sure that other required permissions for Fing app are enabled as well and then open Fing App and run a scan to see the changes.

With new Android and Apple O.S versions, the location permissions are mandatory for the Fing App to operate and identify all the devices on the network. If you have not enabled the location permissions then every time you scan the network then Fing App will not be able to display the access point name and the device customizations will be lost and revert to the default value(Generic).

If you are using an Apple device to run Fing App, please go to Phone settings, and then enable the 'Recognise Device' option to view all information.

Also, I would like you to follow these steps and location permissions pop up will appear to be enabled.

1) Open Fing App and go to 'Network' tab

2) Click on the ISP tab and it will open the Network page

3) Click on "Locate" or Click on "Edit" and clear out the Network information such as Address.

4) Next, to the MAP section, there is a small icon to auto-detect location. Click on the icon and location permissions will be asked.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    10 Comments
    Thanks I completed steps 1-3.  I was not sure how to do Step #4.  Should I click on the Map Icon?  I did verify (see below) that it has access to Location on iOS when the app is running.  

admin
    Can you share the screenshot of the network tab on Fing App and I will guide you further?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    admin
    If you go to the 'Network' tab in the app. Click on the ISP provider (1st section at the top of the display). This will then open the Geo location option. Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    10 Comments
    here is the screen shot of the Network tab as requested. Per your instructions I click on the top Suddenlink item and did clear out what you recommended. Just not sure what is meant by the MAP other than clicking on the actual map which opens Maps on iOS.  

• DiverkingDiverking Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper
    Robin said:
    Diverking said:
    Hi @Diverking
    Thanks for your feedback. As Fing Desktop is a relatively new product. With VM's there will be some discrepancy with both Fing App or Fing Desktop as VM will try to hide the correct information from certain checks through which we are able to identify the devices and information.
    I downloaded 1.1.0 and added the VM's again. When changing the icon to VM the information was also changed in Microsoft VM. I'ts hard to get the information behind the VM as MAC adresses ar virtual and generated from a pool but... try to figure out how you can get the information about what's riunning inside the VM box (I am runnung VM's with windows server, linux rhel, ubuntu etc.)
    admin
    jmocker01 said:
    here is the screen shot of the Network tab as requested. Per your instructions I click on the top Suddenlink item and did clear out what you recommended. Just not sure what is meant by the MAP other than clicking on the actual map which opens Maps on iOS.  

Can you click on your isp name Suddenlink and thne you will see Locate button to click on? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    10 Comments
    Yes I see that and per your previous instructions Clicked on Edit, zeroed out all the info and then clicked on locate. I've also clieck on the GPS icon on the map within this screen. the address it shows is acreage to my location.  
    10 Comments
    I should note at no time did I receive errors saying the app needs location permissions, etc...  After doing all this and refreshing I still get the same results being most everything says Generic.  
    admin
    jmocker01 said:
    I should note at no time did I receive errors saying the app needs location permissions, etc...  After doing all this and refreshing I still get the same results being most everything says Generic.  

Can you please re-install the latest version of the Fing App & also clear the cache on the device?

To do this: 
    1. Sign out of the application 
    2. Remove the application 
    3. Reboot the phone to clear the cache 
    4. Reinstall the application 
    5. Start App & log back in the Application. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    10 Comments
    OK followed these steps exactly. When I signed in it said it needed locations permission which I enabled.  I refreshed again after enabling and still most everything says Generic compared.  Note, it also said all generic before I signed in as well.  
    admin

Thanks @jmocker01, I am sorry to hear.  Unfortunately there are some restrictions on iOS devices. Fing App is not able to display all MAC addresses on iOS as Apple has blocked apps from reading them from the ARP table. Whilst we are still able to recognise that a device is connected to the network scanned, these devices will appear as 'Generic'. This is an Apple imposed limitation, however we do continue to do our utmost to provide as much information to identify each device. By activating all permissions, we have seen that this can improve recognition detail (however, in your case it seems not). Fing Desktop recognition will be better than mobile App recognition.

We do encourage use, when they establish what the device is,  to insert as many details that you can about the device. This will assist with improved user device identification in the future. Thanks

Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    10 Comments
    OK so I still don't get my my Fing on my iPad with the same account identifies all devices and why as such I would take the time to re-enter them on my phone.  This does not sound like an iOS limitation as such. 
    admin
    What model of iPad & iPhone do you have and what version of the iOS are on each?

Ciaran (Admin at Fing)