Best configuration in a mixed network

RPinIARPinIA Member, Beta Tester Posts: 12
10 Comments 5 Likes Photogenic
I have a Calix fiber router from my ISP.  It has 4 ports.  Attached to the router via Ethernet is my Fingbox, a TP Link Mesh node, A 16-port gigabit switch and a 3-port 10/100 switch. 

The 3-port switch connects a Lacrosse temperature gateway and a Chamberlain MyQ gateway. 

The 16-port switch connects my Sonos bridge and speakers, an Arlo camera base unit and cameras, an HP printer, a MagicJack phone dongle, and 2 HP desktop computers.

The Mesh base unit drives 3 other nodes located around the house. The primary Mesh node has a Tablo device attached to it.  

I stream to Roku devices & Smart TV's via the Mesh network and/or router 2.4 and 5 Gb wireless signals.  I use YouTubeTV for most content and the Tablo for local programming. 

My question is what is the best location for the Fingbox to be able to monitor both networks? One network is the Calix router home and the other is the Mesh.  It gets wonky with alerts, events and management of devices.  Or do I need another Fing to properly manage this configuration. 
VioletChepil

Comments

• PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    MDavideGidster
  • RPinIARPinIA Member, Beta Tester Posts: 12
    Thank you Pooh!  If I add a Fingbox to the mesh network does that a require another account and login credentials?  Or can I add another network to the app.Fing.io to connect to both Fings with a single interface?
  • PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

As far as I know, you can add multiple Fingboxes to your account.

@VioletChepil would you mind chiming in?

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just moved this thread over to the Fingbox category! 

Community Manager at Fing

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @RPinIA let's see if @Robin has anything to add on this one. 

My new Fingbox arrived. Thank you Amazon.  But I'm wondering about changing the configuration to address the two networks imposed by the Mesh.
    (later).  I plugged the new Fing into the 2nd mesh node.  I think it gives me a better less complicated view of the two networks.  With 1 Fing it got really confusing as to what was really connected and the correct state.  
    MDavideVioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok thanks @RPinIA is that a configuration you'd recommend to others then? 
    We always do recommend plugging into the main router or access point and I'm not sure what our team can contribute beyond that advice since each set-up is so unique. 

Effectively I guess I have a VLAN through the mesh that is separate from the router LAN but connected to the router.  I don't know how Fing deals with this config but adding a Fingbox to the mesh network simpified things for me. It works and now all devices are stable therefore I would suggest it is good.  
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @RPinIA thanks for reporting this back to the community. This is much appreciated :) 
    Cheers!