Fing 9.0 - Beta testing is open

marco_from_fingmarco_from_fing Fing Team Posts: 51
10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Likes First Answer
✭✭✭
Dear all.
We're happy to start beta testing with the community Fing 9 - a brand new way to access all Fing functionalities you love! We are eager to hear about your testing experience, how long it took to understand the new layout, and in general how you feel about it.
TL;DR;
  1. Start a scan, a speed test and any troubleshooting tools from the Home tab. You will always see the WiFi and ISP your device is currently connected to (try going into Airplane mode ;) )
  2. See the highlights of your Fingbox from the Home tab
  3. All your App settings, including alert notifications and account details, have a dedicated Account tab
  4. Use the updated Community tab to find great replies from network expert, and ask for help
Currently testing for iOS via TestFlight at https://testflight.apple.com/join/SXreQpuV
A couple of screenshots to see how it changed:

For the more patient ones :) 
In 2019, we ran usability interviews and user researches about the Fing as a standalone App and with Fingbox. One of the frequently reported issue was the navigation, and being able to understand what network and data the user is looking at, at any given time. Many of our experienced users reported that it was not at all clear that the selected network (in the top navigation bar) and the current network could be different, generating a whole lot of confusion. Similarly, many users didn't know about some features in the "Network" tab, because they were either too low on the screen or they had no reason to go to that tab at all.

While Fing's strength has always been the network scanning functionality, the App evolved to include lots of data and tools about Internet providers, Fingbox additional tools, and more recently the community. Much like booking apps for different targets (hotels, restaurants, cars), the navigation needed to evolve towards something that:
  1. Makes the major functionalities easily accessible and understandable from the start
  2. Makes it clear at every given time what you're looking at
  3. Give every journey its own screen layout, leaving the freedom to organize a manual scan, a Fingbox view, a speed test, a traceroute in the optimal way.
We've been working steadily in the recent months to cleanup and harmonize parts of the Fing App that evolved (throughout Fing 8.x), to reach this point.
Here's are the highlights of what you'll see:
  • Three tabs: Home, Community, Account, each with its own workflow. Home will give access to all tools, Community to its content, Account to your account data and app settings
  • Home gives immediate access to your Fingbox (always on top). Nice addition is the ability to add more than one in the screen (care to find how?), to the current wifi you're connected to, and current ISP you're connected to.
  • Tap to "View" Fingbox to enter a tabbed view of its data: Devices, Network, Internet, People, Notifications. Actions on the device list are in the bottom toolbar, immediately accessible. Exports & Alerts have been moved into the "Network" tab, making it more visible and accessible. Network data & setup is now immediately visible in the tab. Internet setup moved to the new "Internet" tab, which sports ISP details and analysis. All notifications are now found in a dedicated, single "Notification" tab, with a small dot when there's something to take care of. 
  • Tap on "Scan for devices" to start scanning the current network, which has only: Devices, Network, Internet. 
  • Tap on "Last network" to reopen your last view (as it was working previously) or "All networks" to access the full list and select another from your account
  • Tap on "Test Speed now" to start speed test on the current network, or "Compare speed" to see the full ISP data and browse its content
  • Tap on any of the troubleshooting & security tools Ping/Traceroute/Port scan.
I could be talking about this for another 200 lines, but I better stop here and let you try it out yourself.
Thanks for helping us out with testing and honest feedback!

Marco
Tagged:
marco_from_fingRobinMarcAlbertmumpp310330Bryant楽

Comments

• mozarellamozarella Member, Beta Tester Posts: 99
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,
    i'm happy to get the new Beta Fing.app. But after installing, i can't really find the needed functions. Everything is moved to another place and it's much more difficult to find and use. In my eyes, the old version is more "clear" in user-interface. New features are not really there, just moved to another place, i think. New features would be interesting, for example join fingboxes from different accounts. For example i'm using two fingboxes in my home (private LAN/Wifi and guest-LAN/Wifi), one fingbox in my parent's house, which is connected to my account, but actually it should be connected to my parents account and grant access to me. Then i have two fingboxes in my office, two networks are monitored by fing. This two fingboxes are connected to one office-account used by more people. I wish, to connect all these fingboxes also to my private account to have easy access without using more smartphones for each account. Will be great to attach fingbox possibility to fing-desktop. But i worry, fing-app on iOS will be more like fing-desktop, reducing functionallity.

But I think, design is more important than new (real) functions. And please don't mention domoz.
    regards,
    mozarella
    Bryant楽
  • Sierra1Sierra1 UKMember, Beta Tester Posts: 7
    5 Likes Founder Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited March 18
    Just installed the Beta Fing App and am loving it so far! I've only got one Fingbox and a couple of networks to look after but for my setup the new app seems much clearer to use! Great job guys.
    marco_from_fingfingdev
  • kinneyr2kinneyr2 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 20
    10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Likes Photogenic
    I have installed Fing 9.0 beta on my iPhone however, I get a screen message "No Apps Available to Test".  Contact developer for invitation code.
    Bryant楽
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 685
    500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Likes 25 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @kinneyr2, I am consulting with our Engineering team on this. Once we have an update, we will respond here. Bear with me. Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    kinneyr2Bryant楽
    Ciaran said:
    Thanks @kinneyr2, I am consulting with our Engineering team on this. Once we have an update, we will respond here. Bear with me. Thanks
    Give me the "REDEEM CODE" please.  App can't work with out it.  It says it is the Testflight Invitation Code.
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 1,147
    1000 Comments 50 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    kinneyr2 said:
    Ciaran said:
    Give me the "REDEEM CODE" please.  App can't work with out it.  It says it is the Testflight Invitation Code.
    The invitation code can be found in the initial post. I will share with you again: Currently testing for iOS via TestFlight at https://testflight.apple.com/join/SXreQpuV
    Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Robin said:
    kinneyr2 said:
    Ciaran said:
    The invitation code can be found in the initial post. I will share with you again: Currently testing for iOS via TestFlight at https://testflight.apple.com/join/SXreQpuV
    Thanks
    I have no code.  The link does not give me a code.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled with same message.  I give up.  No code, no testing.  Good luck to all.