Hypothetical: Three Fingboxes + Three VLANs = Happy Camper?

I’m putting this here to try to avoid adding noise to topics where people are trying to fix things, but I am curious about this.  I have the hardware to do this but before spending time trying to do this, I would appreciate confirmation that it is possible and getting some idea what it looks like.

Just to be clear, “it” is installing a Fingbox on each of three VLANs on a single network (192.168.1.1/24).  Can it be done?  Would the iOS app display pretty much what it does when you have two separate networks (192.168.1.x and 192.168.0. x) with a Fingbox on each?  How would it distinguish the VLANs from each other?

i won’t ask about the Desktop App since it doesn’t know how to deal with more than one network/Fingbox pair.

TIA

Comments

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,312
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Hi @RWild
    Yes, you can use one Fingbox for every separate network. In your case, you will need 3 Fingbox for your network setup. So if you are connected to the network that you want too add the Fingbox too you should be able to add the Fingbox.   

I have done a little research on your issue and I have a few settings that I want you to match your network.  These will differ on each Fingbox. 

Under App Settings I would make the following 2 changes: 

1. Disable Reverse DNS Lookup 

2. Change the Maximum network size to match your network size 

These changes should help with the issues in scanning.   

As far as adding the Fingboxes to the different networks, let's try this. Make sure that the Fingbox is powered off first. 

1. Connect your device(phone or tablet) to the network that you want to add the Fingbox too 

2. Scan the network to create that network in the Fing App 

3. Make the recommended changes to the App Settings 

4. Connect the Fingbox to the network that you are trying to add it to, and plug it in 

5. Once the Fingbox is powered up and its green 

6. Try to add the Fingbox to that network 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • RWildRWild Member Posts: 44
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes First Answer Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    It's great  to hear that  you have been looking into my problems that have developed using multiple Fingboxes.  The timing is especially good since I replaced my old Fingbox Version 1's with Version 2's and things have gone from bad to worse.  Before launching into the current state of affairs, I will try your suggestions.  The second group are probably most relevant to my situation.
    ✭✭
    Attached are notes I made as I attempted to "clear the slate" and make a fresh start with Fing and Fingbox.  I found so many problems that I thought it appropriate to send you my notes up until I decided that NOTHING works as it should.  I never got as far as actually turning the Fingboxes back on.  At this point, there is no way I would recommend your products to friends.  What has happened to you guys?

I am taking another break before I plug these things back in and will send notes paid during that process.
    admin
    Hi @RWild
    The steps you took should not create any trouble but one you plug the Fingboxes, please let me know and send me the MAC address of the Fingbox through DM so I can guide you further. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    ✭✭
    Robin, afraid my break turned into a serious nap and then I got hung up trying to fix some problems with a few VMs.  Still having trouble with one VM and plan to continue working on that tonight.

Will definitely let you known what happens when I plug the Version 2 Fingboxes back in.  Right down, none are connected.  Will DM you the MACs then.

i appreciate your help.

Ralph
    ✭✭
    Robin, sorry about the delay in getting back to you.  I installed the v2 Fingboxes one-at-a-time this time and make sure the iPad Pro I use was logged on the SLOW network and at 2.4 GHz when installing the fingbox on that network.  Both are now up and running on the Desktop app as well as they have ever run under the iOS app.  On the iPad Pro (which can only see one network at a time), I have to make sure the iPad Pro is logged on whichever network I want to look at with Fing - don't know how else you would do that.

The situation is basically the same when using the Desktop App (V 1.2.0) on a Windows 10 machine.  There both networks are usually active all of the time.  Fingbox Desktop gets very confused in this situation.  To get reasonable results from the app, I have to manually disable the network that I don't want to look at and then flip through some of the Desktop apps screens to get it to realize that the network present has changed.  I have not found a way to change which network/fingbox I am looking at without leaving the app and disabling the other network.

I appreciate your trying to help but I am at the point of just giving up on this issue.
    admin
    Hi @RWild
    Thanks for feedback. I got in touch with our developers and found out that this is the current limitation of the Fing Dekstop that if you scan a network with Fing Desktop it will create a separate network other than Fingbox network. If you don't have Fingbox then if you scan from mobile app or desktop app, it will merge the network scan. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)