I'm going to be a Dad - advise on Tech for Newborns/parents

CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 685
500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Likes 25 Awesomes
admin

Hi All, 
Over the coming days/weeks, I am expecting the birth of my 1st child, exciting times. As well as the practical day to day baby care products, I am looking at what technology I should be looking at to help with my new role as a parent and indeed for the safety and comfort of my son. Any advise would be much appreciated. Any suggestions?

I came across this article of some top tech relating to parenting & babies: https://www.pocket-lint.com/parenting/buyers-guides/143372-best-high-tech-baby-gadgets-top-gear-for-both-parents-and-little-ones
Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
CiaranRobinAlbertChenCarlo_from_Fing

Answers

• ChrismTCLChrismTCL Member, Beta Tester Posts: 21
    10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Congratulations, i'm also soon to be a grandad for the second time, so my requirements are not as necessary as any you may need.

A good baby monitor with video is a good idea. We had an emergency sleepover go grandchild no 1 aged 4 the other night and did not have one, but she is now of the age not to have to be monitored, although I will set up an ipcam instead of the baby video monitor.

I reckon you're going to be too busy helping to want to be using technology.

Regards

chris.
    AlbertCiaran
  • AlbertAlbert Member Posts: 77
    25 Likes 10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Ciaran. CONGRATULATIONS and wishes to your good lady, she must have been in cohouts with Violet Chepil !!!!
    As Chris above suggested... a good baby monitor will be useful. But having been  there and done that..... a GOOD BOOK on parenting will be an excellent buy. When mine were born.... the internet did not exist ( not even in ARPA NET)
    Do "stock up" on sleep since that might be in short supply for the first few weeks. . The ability to keep the baby's room temperature at whatever level you feel appropriate might be handy too.... multiple solutions for this are on tap.  @ChrismTCL @VioletChepil
    Albert
    Ciaran
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 892
    500 Likes 50 Answers 500 Comments 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ciaran, invariably you will be buying baby monitors.  Whatever you buy, make sure they are either not internet enabled or if they are, that you can change the default password to something very complex and hard to guess.  I’ve read too many stories of people hacking them. Keep the kid as far away from technology as you can for as long as you can.  Limit screen time where you can.  https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/childrens-health/in-depth/screen-time/art-20047952
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Ciaran
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 685
    admin
    Fantastic folks, cheers for these suggestions. Exciting times ahead. It will certainly be a balance with tech and general parenting but I am eager to find the fine balance :smile:
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    [Deleted User]
  • FabianFabian Member, Beta Tester Posts: 21
    10 Comments Photogenic
    edited March 19
    Congrats!  Three phrases:  hold me, feed me, change me...

Oh, and wash your hands.
    Ciaran
    admin
    Cheers @ChrismTCL , @Marc, @Albert for the suggestions. Still waiting, and despite best intentions, have not had time to really get my head into any alternative tech (besides the basics) - with everything going on :P @Fabian hahahaha.....I can well believe, maybe I will get a little robot that responds to those 3 commands :smile: no, not at all, thats all part of the joy of it :smile:
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
  • neurolizerneurolizer Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited March 20

My wife isn't very excited about most of my technology stuff, but she did appreciate being able to dim and turn off a lamp without getting up in the rooms where nursing or diaper changing occurred. So a combination of smart bulbs and Google Assistant/Alexa.

If you end up tracking baby feeding times and diaper changes, you may also be able to find a decent voice app for doing that hands free (the voice apps didn't quite meet my needs for this 4 years ago when we had our first newborn, but they probably do now).

I found a simple bottle warmer to be quite helpful instead of overheating the milk on the stove every time I tried.

admin
    Excellent suggestions @neurolizer, and funny enough, I think my wife will appreciate that light dimmer also :smile: thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
  • AlbertAlbert Member Posts: 77
    25 Likes 10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited March 21
    Ciaran.... we need an update. How long to go before you are a new dad ??? All of us are "rooting" ( not offense to @rooted ) for you and the Good lady... may the Baby be healthy and Happy!