Help with open ports on devices

Linuxbox1
Linuxbox1 Member Posts: 25
Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes Photogenic
✭✭

Hello all,

Just going through the normal network check, you know, to freak myself out and confuse myself so I think I'm being spied on. I noticed something, probably not of concern, but I'm totally being hacked in that really far back part of my brain, so why not check with you guys and gals and see what you all think. I have directv with a main unit and two peripherals. Open Port scans of the peripheral boxes show rpcbind on 111 and freeciv on 5555 as open among others as well. They main unit shows no open ports see pics please. And my extender for my network shows 5555 freeciv open as well. I also added my printer because there's numerous ports open but I think we've been over my printer before and all is well. My gateway Shows DNS 80 and 443 open as I expect is normal.

So I'm totally being hacked right?! Just kidding. Can anyone help me to confirm and understand that this is normal for direct tv, or should concern be shown? Thanks in advance. You all rock as always!

Jarred

PS I tried to keep the screenshots in order but... Well... Forum boards and uploads seem random in placement of attachments so if anything further is needed please ask. Thanks again.

[Deleted User]Robin_Ex_Fing

Answers

• Muddy
    Muddy Member Posts: 6
    Photogenic First Comment

Did you get any help with your questions?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Linuxbox1
    ✭✭

I'm not worried about the DNS Port or ports 80 and 443.... More worried about the 5555freeciv as that's been exploited before and the rpc bind just kinda confuses me so anyone who understands more about that and why the directv would use it is invited to discuss. Thanks everyone

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @KoalaTeaTime
    I have found this information online. I hope it will be helpful.
    TCP port 5555 uses the Transmission Control Protocol. TCP is one of the main protocols in TCP/IP networks. TCP is a connection-oriented protocol, it requires handshaking to set up end-to-end communications. Only when a connection is set up user's data can be sent bi-directionally over the connection.
    TCP guarantees delivery of data packets on port 5555 in the same order in which they were sent. Guaranteed communication over TCP port 5555 is the main difference between TCP and UDP. UDP port 5555 would not have guaranteed communication as TCP.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    lyndon
  • Linuxbox1
    ✭✭

Thanks for your reply I realize it utilizes tcp but would it be normal for directv set top boxes to transfer udp? Video should be guaranteed so to speak warranting tcp and not udp and why 5555 which is a popularly known exploitable Port utilized by nefarious actors and exploited... Would coupling this open 5555 port with this open {Port 111 rpcbind} be cause for concern? It seems my extender has 5555 open as well. I don't recall these being open ever so just want to understand a little better. I have been building computers my whole life and a grasp of this better than the everyday person. I say this not to flex muscles but to save time with the explaining of the simpler content. Thanks for your time