How to hinder Fingbox to fall back from 1 Gbps to 100 Mbps?

rkf
rkf Member, Beta Tester Posts: 14
10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper
✭✭✭
After having a 1st gen. Fingbox I switched to a 2nd gen. one, and what was a seldom problem with the old Fingbox, is now a regular one. I use an AVM mesh system (FRITZ!Box 7590 as the mesh master, FRITZ!OS 7.12), with the Fingbox connected directly to an Gigabit-port. Nevertheless, after first connecting with 1 Gbps, a few seconds later the Figbox always downgrades to 100 Mbps. Tried reconnecting, reconfiguring the LAN-port of the router, all to no avail. The only negative consequence (besides info messages within Fing app) is a too low result of ISP speed tests (l have regularely > 100 Mbps).

Is there any way to hard code 1 Gbps link within Fingbox?
RobinVioletChepilRGKSKiliclat

Best Answer

• rkf
    ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Finally, after longish experiments, I managed to pin down the culprit: It's solely the power supply of the Fingbox!
    Due to lack of space I powered my Fingbox before via the USB port of my FRITZ!Box, which was good enough for a Fingbox v1, but is insufficient for a Fingbox v2. But, as it turned out, not only voltage and amperage are important, but also the specific cable. The Fingbox v2 is utter picky with respect to the wiring of power supply, and sometimes it even dislikes the supplied power adaptor with respect to 1 Gbps vs. 100 Mbps!

Now I use an Apple iPad power supply (with 2.1 A output) and the only one USB cable tolerated by my Fingbox (out of four tested cables), and now I have permanetly 1 Gbps again. Before someone asks: The supplied power adaptor is too bulky with respect to the available space around my A/C multi socket.

mozarellaHronos

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,569
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @VioletChepil , I believe this one would be best addressed by you?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    VioletChepil
  • Robin
    Robin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,591
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @rkf (I am on the support team here)

Can you check if the ethernet cable is not broken? As you restart the Fingbox, it forces the network to reach its full speed but if there is any damage on the cable, the speed will drop. This is a hint for broken ethernet cable. If that's the case, then I would also like you to try any Cat 6 or Cat 7 cable and then see if the network link is dropping or not. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    VioletChepil
  • rkf
    ✭✭✭
    The behaviour is independent from the Cat6 cable used, other devices with the tested cables connect with 1 Gbps on all router ports, no matter which cable, which device. Since only FingBox shows this behaviour, I conclude it's on FingBox'es side.
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm requesting more details on this one. Be back soon with more. 

Community Manager at Fing

• Rob
    Rob Member Posts: 1
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    edited August 2019
    I have the same issue... would be keen to understand the reason and/or fix.

i will clarify that I am not using Fritz Box or any switch..... I have fingBox connected directly into netgear D6200 router
    rkfVioletChepil
  • Bob_M51
    Bob_M51 Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic First Comment

Me too....same issue and question.

RGKSVioletChepilrkf
  • mozarella
    mozarella Member, Beta Tester Posts: 128
    100 Comments 5 Answers 25 Likes First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    I've using more than one fingbox of 1st generation. So this devices were connected to different switches with different cables. I'm also using some of the original flat cables. All my fingboxes are running with 1 GBit, never seen that they fall back to 100 MBit.
    When using my two Fritz!Box(es) 7390 as main-network-switch, i noticed that the speed was becoming lower (exact, not the speed of 1 GBit to 100 MBit, the transfer-rate is shrinking within 1 GBit) and the Fritzbox is getting hot. I changed the layout to dedicated GBit-Switches (no name that time) and i noticed that network-transfer is more stable.
    Now i'm using Unifi as network-switch and wifi, no problems seen anymore.
    My parents are using Fritz!Box 7590 and fingbox too. Their home-network is only based by wifi-devices, the only one wired device is fingbox, direct attached to Fritzbox. Didn't get any alert that fingbox is falling back to 100 MBit.
    I'm not sure about Fritzbox's config. But usually i turn off all energy-saving at the LAN-Ports. Could you check, if the LAN-Ports are configured fixed with 1 GBit and eco-mode is off?
    I'm using 5 fingboxes, 2 in my home, 1 at my parents home and 2 in office-use. All of the V1 fingbox and all are running with 1 GBit. So i don't think that's a common problem with fingbox.
    @people with "me too, same issue..", do all of you also use Fritz!Box as router and is fingbox direct attached to that router?
    What will happen, if the fingbox is not direct attached to Fritzbox, using another GBit-Switch instead?
    rkfVioletChepil
  • Bob_M51
    Photogenic First Comment

Fingbox V1 is directly connected to a 1 gig port on my router.

• rkf
    ✭✭✭
    mozarella said:
    I'm not sure about Fritzbox's config. But usually i turn off all energy-saving at the LAN-Ports. Could you check, if the LAN-Ports are configured fixed with 1 GBit and eco-mode is off?
    @people with "me too, same issue..", do all of you also use Fritz!Box as router and is fingbox direct attached to that router?
    What will happen, if the fingbox is not direct attached to Fritzbox, using another GBit-Switch instead?
    I have eco-mode disabled on all LAN ports (and also the not used WAN port), thus enabling 1 Gbps. Unfortunatey, I don't have a surplus GBit-switch to check for myself, but I remember having read somewhere on the old community (i.e. facebook) that adding a switch solved this problem. But I would rather not add another device into my configuration - neither I have the place, nor a free additional socket for mains.
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to update everyone in this thread. I'm still awaiting further investigation by our dev team and will revert as soon as I can. 

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @rkf our dev team have tested and we've not had similar cases. 
    • Could you try with another cable? And let us know if that solves it
    • Is it possible to try with another router?
    Let me know if the above are options. 

• rkf
    ✭✭✭
    @rkf our dev team have tested and we've not had similar cases. 
    • Could you try with another cable? And let us know if that solves it
    • Is it possible to try with another router?
    As I have written in this thread before, I tried with different cables, the outcome was still the same (immediate fallback to 100 Mbps).

And no, I don't have a different router. Would be nice to have the opportunity to set 1Gbps, Full Duplex instead of Auto, Auto on the FingBox end ...
    VioletChepil
  • Bob_M51
    Photogenic First Comment
    Today I replaced my Fingbox V1 with a V2 and it is currently holding at 1 Gig since install. Maybe a bad cable or V1 box? Time will tell....
    VioletChepil
  • RGKS
    RGKS Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    edited August 2019
    Same issue here on Fingbox V1. Connected directly to the router and cannot get it to run at 1Gbps. while all other devices and switches are working properly at 1Gbps speeds.
    VioletChepil
  • Pooh
    Pooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My v1 Fingbox is connected to my 2nd Eero which is using a wired backhaul to the prime Eero.

1GB connection.

This pleases me no end because I've never actually checked this in all these years and the backhaul is Ethernet I'd had put in way back in 2001 to connect the basement to the 3rd level of our quad core.

Good to see that the nearly 20 years old Cat 5e cable is still holding up!

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepilHronos
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @RGKS which router are you using? 
    Perhaps there is a limitation on this for certain routers and would be good to pinpoint which ones are causing this problem.
    @rkf I know there are other Fritzbox users on here. Maybe we should start another thread and see if the issue may be consistent amongst there routers? 

• rkf
    ✭✭✭
    @rkf I know there are other Fritzbox users on here. Maybe we should start another thread and see if the issue may be consistent amongst there routers? 

Good idea - feel free to do so!
    VioletChepil
  • Pooh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Pooh lets see how others can relate. I'm aware Germany is an important market for Fritzbox and we'll be inviting more users from there on the community soon - so may take some time to get some good feedback/responses. I know of only a few users on here using Fritzbox! 

• RGKS
    RGKS Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment

I’m using Bell Aliant’s Home Hub 3000. Cheers

VioletChepil
  • jmalm
    jmalm Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    Using Amplifi router and having the same issue.
    VioletChepil
  • Plantucha
    Plantucha Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Photogenic
    if you are connected thru any POE it will downgrade speed from 1000Mhz to 100Mhz
    VioletChepil
  • Pooh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plantucha said:
    if you are connected thru any POE it will downgrade speed from 1000Mhz to 100Mhz
    Surely you mean MB, and not Mhz!

In addition, is this true? I seem to remember that Cat 5e may not be able to handle 1GB POE, I was under the impression that Cat 6 or 6a worked better due to less interference.
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepil
  • Plantucha
    edited September 2019
    Pooh said:
    Plantucha said:
    Surely you mean MB, and not Mhz!

In addition, is this true? I seem to remember that Cat 5e may not be able to handle 1GB POE, I was under the impression that Cat 6 or 6a worked better due to less interference.
    yup Mbit/s, not Mhz. 
    VioletChepil
  • Plantucha
    unless you running very long cable, you should be good
    Each 1000BASE-T network segment is recommended to be a maximum length of 100 meters (330 feet) (however, the length is not a pass/fail criterion as testing the conformance to EN 50173 series standards), and must use Category 5 cable or better (including Cat 5e and Cat 6).
    VioletChepil
  • rkf
    ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I typed in a very long comment with an explanation, and how the problem was solved. It's gone after posting. :-(
    Now I don't have the patience to elaborate all again; to make a long story short: Only a very specific combination of power supply and cable gives a permanent 1 Gbps connection (even the in-package power supply is sometimes disliked by Fingbox v2)!

Sorry - it's not gone, but now called "best answer" and to be found on the 2nd place above.
  • mozarella
    mozarella Member, Beta Tester Posts: 128
    100 Comments 5 Answers 25 Likes First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Ah, quite interesting. Actually i powered up my fingboxes with original power supply. But one time it'll die for sure, so i planned to buy some USB-power supply in the future. Is there any hint, which priority should be given to a new power supply?
    Actually i thought, if the power supply is not powerful enough, fingbox won't boot up or crash / reboot sometimes. I didn't think that fingbox will fall back to 100 MBit because of power supply.
  • Kiliclat
    Kiliclat Member Posts: 3
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic

I started having the same problem suddenly on Dec 3rd. I have the Fing box connected to a Deco P7 Gb port. If I power cycle the fingbox it would eventually negotiate to 1Gb but after a while, it goes back to 100Mbps. I am using the provided power supply and flat enet cable.

• rmjones
    rmjones Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    Any resolution to this? I've had the issue a while where the fingbox drops from 1Gbps to 100Mbps. To solve it I power cycle the fingbox. Would be great to be able to restart the fingbox remotely. Anyway to do that also?