Fing Desktop reuses old network description when new network detected

Installed Fing Desktop on my Win-10 laptop (Ver 1803) and I was able to configure it and get it working satisfactorily. I was OK with the installation process (I'm an experienced networking engineer, most people I know would need some help, it's still a little rough) and I was quite happy with the features & UI in the app.

However (there's always a "but") I noticed something that is most likely a bug in the network detection area of Fing Desktop.

Background: We were on vacation in Florida using the WiFi network provided by the rental. I after a week or so I found that my outgoing e-mail had been blocked & the IP address flagged as a spam producer. I loaded Fing to see if there was an interloper on the WiFi, found one, and got the rental owner to change the WiFi password. In the process of troubleshooting the e-mail problem I connected my AT&T 4GLTE WiFi Hotspot through which I was able to successfully send e-mail.

This is when I discovered the problem with Fing. (Please refer to the attached screen capture of Fing Notifications.)
At 12:36 PM I started Fing and it correctly detected and identified the network. At 12:37 I was able to configure the network and was acknowledged by Fing. At 4:34 PM I used the Win-10 WiFi network settings to switch Wifi networks from the rental's Comcast network to my AT&T WiFi network. Fing correctly detected the network loss and subsequently (4:35 PM) detected the new network (note the new IP address). However it still identified the network as "Comcast Cable in Panama City Beach...", when it should have said something about AT&T connection. Note, interestingly, it did change the icon from the NBC Peacock (Why???) it was using for the Comcast Cable to the AT&T Globe icon.

Anyway, it appears to me that the Fing App is not clearing the description/label for the network when a new network is discovered. I hope this helps you find and fix it.

Comments

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,386
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Hi @GlennInTN
    Thanks for your post. I am seeking advice from our developers and as soon as I receive an update, I will let you know. Thanks again.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    admin
    edited April 2
    Hi @GlennInTN

Sometimes it can happen, if the PC was suspended and not turned off. you should upgrade to latest 1.1.0 that contains several fixes with respect to this.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • GlennInTNGlennInTN Member Posts: 4
    First Comment Photogenic
    Robin, Thanks for the update. I just upgraded to Fing 1.1.0 and whenever I connect to my ATT WiFi hotspot with my laptop, Fing on the laptop still says it's Comcast Cable in Panama City Beach even though I'm now in Crossville, Tennessee. So 1.1.0 did not fix the network description problem described above. That PC has been completely shutdown and restarted several times since leaving Panama City Beach.
    When I connect to my home WiFi or wired ethernet, Fing correctly identifies these networks as Frontier Communications in Crossville. 
    admin
    GlennInTN said:
    Robin, Thanks for the update. I just upgraded to Fing 1.1.0 and whenever I connect to my ATT WiFi hotspot with my laptop, Fing on the laptop still says it's Comcast Cable in Panama City Beach even though I'm now in Crossville, Tennessee. So 1.1.0 did not fix the network description problem described above. That PC has been completely shutdown and restarted several times since leaving Panama City Beach.
    When I connect to my home WiFi or wired ethernet, Fing correctly identifies these networks as Frontier Communications in Crossville. 
    Can you please update to our latest version and check if you are still getting the same thing?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    First Comment Photogenic
    Robin,
    I'm currently running Fing 1.2.0 that I downloaded just the other day. When I saw your message, I performed the following experiment:
    1. Launch Fing on my laptop, it correctly identifies the network from my hardwired Ethernet connection.
    2. Turn on my AT&T 4g WiFi HotSpot (mfg. Netgear) and allow it to connect to the AT&T 4g network.
    3. Disconnect the Ethernet cable from my laptop, Fing announced lost connectivity in Notifications.
    4. Used Windows 10 Network icon (system tray) to find and connect to "Glenn WiFi ATT 4g". After a few minutes Fing announces in Notifications "Comcast Cable in Panama City Beach (192.168.1.0/24) network joined. Welcome back to home network Comcast Cable in Panama City Beach (192.168.1.0/24). Connectivity looks great." Fing also shows the AT&T logo icon, not the NBC Peacock Comcast icon. 
    This is the same thing that Fing showed when I first ran the Fing desktop back in February when I was connected to Comcast and then switched to my AT&T HotSpot. So, no, 1.2.0 did not fix the problem.
    admin
    Hi @GlennInTN
    Can you try to scan with our latest upgrade version 1.3.0 which has improved device recognition? 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    First Comment Photogenic
    OK, I got 1.3.0. To test it, I ran Fing (see Notifications screenshot below) and Fing correctly identified my wired Ethernet connection (the notification is not visible because it scrolled off the screen). Then I started my AT&T WiFi hotspot and pulled the Ethernet cable from my laptop. The laptop automatically connected to the AT&T WiFi, and shortly Fing detected it but still identified it as Comcast in Panama City Beach in the notification at 12:32 PM. Note the other screenshot of Fing shows connectivity and correctly identifies the network and ISP.
    Then something really interesting happened: I got curious to see if my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 on AT&T, Android 8.0.0) had the same problem, and yes, when connected to the AT&T WiFi hotspot, Fing 8.9.2 also identified it as Comcast in Panama City Beach. However on the phone from the My Networks screen I was able to "Delete" the network, then Fing re-found the network and correctly identified as AT&T. Then when I looked back to my laptop, I saw a new notification (12:45) with a new network, Frontier Communications in Crossville, but with the AT&T logo icon and the IP address range from my AT&T hotspot! Then I went back to my phone, did another scan, and it too is now reporting Frontier Communications while connected to the AT&T hotspot!!! Does this have something to do with what Fing thinks is my "Home" network? On the phone there is a "Home" icon for the AT&T network (miss-identified as Frontier), and on the desktop it refers to my "Home" network and in the 12:32 notification it says "Welcome back to home network...
    Where is this info stored, on each device or at some central location at Fing?
    Also is there an equivalent to "My Networks" list in the Fing Desktop and is there a delete network function? I can't find it if there is.
    Still work to do...